Saturn Sky Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you don't ask too much of the Sky, it's just fine. It's comfortable and easy to drive around town. The driver's seat will happily carry you on a long highway cruise.

But as a modern sports car, it doesn't make the big leagues.

In normal operation, the 177-horsepower engine makes a fun little rumble. Under anything less than foot-to-floor acceleration, though, that little four-cylinder starts to feel winded as the needle moves into the second half of the tachometer. Even if you really gun it, there's lots of noise but actual acceleration is merely respectable.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/19/autos/carreviews/saturn_sky/index.htm?postversion=2006071914

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you don't ask too much of the Sky, it's just fine. It's comfortable and easy to drive around town. The driver's seat will happily carry you on a long highway cruise.

In normal operation, the 177-horsepower engine makes a fun little rumble. Under anything less than foot-to-floor acceleration, though, that little four-cylinder starts to feel winded as the needle moves into the second half of the tachometer. Even if you really gun it, there's lots of noise but actual acceleration is merely respectable.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/19/autos/carreviews/saturn_sky/index.htm?postversion=2006071914
That's why you go out and buy a Redline!!!:eek:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
118 Posts
On a twisty road, the Sky handles well if treated with care. But it lacks the intuitive "man-and-machine-as-one" sort of thing that better sports cars have. And not just more expensive cars - the Mazda MX-5 Miata definitely has it, for example.

The Miata over the Sky!? That's a first....U-G-L-Y And the Sky is a much better driver. We had a miata here for a week so thats's not just a guess! The 2.4 is a little underpowered but it was never intended to be anything but that. If you want power get a frickin Redline for the $$ it can't be beat.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yes I believe reviewers. . . :lol:
All reviews based in Money orientated magazines in particular (Wasn't it Forbes that said it took 10 min to put the roof up??):lol:

I rate cars one way
I drive them:thumbs:
For the $$ SKY is there...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think many, if not a majority, of Sky owners are "first time" roadster owners. (I am). I didn't buy it because it compared favorably (performance-wise) to other roadsters. I simply bought it because of the way it looked. It turns out, the Sky not only looks good (best looking car I've ever seen), but it is also fun to drive, it is comfortable, and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg to buy it.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Well.... its MONEY.cnn.com.. the Average person that is on this website probably drives a z3 as a daily driver and a ferarri on the weekend (im exaggerating, but you get what im saying)... Of course the Sky wouldnt float their boat. They didnt even try the redline. The base sky is for the faint hearted. For the thrill seeker... like myself, the Redline is a must!!! i think they shoulda gave the redline a review instead

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well.... its MONEY.cnn.com.. the Average person that is on this website probably drives a z3 as a daily driver and a ferarri on the weekend (im exaggerating, but you get what im saying)... Of course the Sky wouldnt float their boat. They didnt even try the redline. The base sky is for the faint hearted. For the thrill seeker... like myself, the Redline is a must!!! i think they shoulda gave the redline a review instead
The unique to thing I have found regarding the Sky is that it appeals to the guy that had 30,000 grand on an application and the guy who paid cash that plays for a pro sports team in Detroit. Everone seems to love the car boundries aside. There are just some people who don't care for it....and to them I simply say "Saturns arn't for everyone" :lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
The unique to thing I have found regarding the Sky is that it appeals to the guy that had 30,000 grand on an application and the guy who paid cash that plays for a pro sports team in Detroit. Everone seems to love the car boundries aside. There are just some people who don't care for it....and to them I simply say "Saturns arn't for everyone" :lol:
I actually come from the Japaneese Tuner crowd... I currently have a Turbo Mitsubishi lancer (not the Evo:banghead: ) ... When i saw the Sky on TV last spring.. i knew my days of owning a mitsu were numbered!... i just had to have a sky... at that time there was only the base.. only 177 hp on the ecotec. i could get alot more performance (200hp)from my turbo jap econobox.. but then the RL came into play.. thats when i got serious about saving for one of these!.. there used to be a time when american cars were just ummm.. crappy to say the least..(my opinion) but now i see ALL of them getting their act together.. a total 180! So instead of me stepping up to a Mitsubishi Evolution (very sexy car performance wise! 280HP 4wheel drive beast!) Im gonna have a change of heart and get with the sky. It's so great to see an american car with some sexy lines!!! With the Looks and Great performance right off the lot.. and for the price, you cant ask for more!....PLus im helping the american economy (even though parts ARE made in Jap land)..... i used to own a 93 SL1 when i was in college... i held my head in shame when i had it:lol: but now this time around i can say yeah Its a Saturn.. with pride!:cheers:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I actually come from the Japaneese Tuner crowd... I currently have a Turbo Mitsubishi lancer (not the Evo:banghead: ) ... When i saw the Sky on TV last spring.. i knew my days of owning a mitsu were numbered!... i just had to have a sky... at that time there was only the base.. only 177 hp on the ecotec. i could get alot more performance (200hp)from my turbo jap econobox.. but then the RL came into play.. thats when i got serious about saving for one of these!.. there used to be a time when american cars were just ummm.. crappy to say the least..(my opinion) but now i see ALL of them getting their act together.. a total 180! So instead of me stepping up to a Mitsubishi Evolution (very sexy car performance wise! 280HP 4wheel drive beast!) Im gonna have a change of heart and get with the sky. It's so great to see an american car with some sexy lines!!! With the Looks and Great performance right off the lot.. and for the price, you cant ask for more!....PLus im helping the american economy (even though parts ARE made in Jap land)..... i used to own a 93 SL1 when i was in college... i held my head in shame when i had it:lol: but now this time around i can say yeah Its a Saturn.. with pride!:cheers:

Great story! good to have ya back. I really believe that GM is in the turnaround position. I think they have realized that they must make cars people like with better than average quality. They don't have to overproduce either...jsut make enough! Rick Wagoner said the other night that Saturn was a key cog in it's new phase going forward. 7 out of every 10 Saturn customers would have never bought another GM product. Thanks to all you loyal Saturn owners and the new ones that are giving us a shot. I am glad we are finally getting vehilces that not aonly have great service/quality but look and perform as well as the SKY R.L !!!! Congrats to all that get to park a Sky in their driveway :cheers:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no power, bad on turns, and roof problems.....

The Sky's simple practical limitations also take a toll. One might expect lack of trunk space in a roadster, but the Sky's trunk seemingly serves no purpose other than to hold the roof.

Opening and closing the roof is also a particularly aggravating operation. It involves getting in the car and back out, or out and back in, and slamming the trunk lid a couple of times to make sure it shuts all the way.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I think many, if not a majority, of Sky owners are "first time" roadster owners. (I am). I didn't buy it because it compared favorably (performance-wise) to other roadsters. I simply bought it because of the way it looked. It turns out, the Sky not only looks good (best looking car I've ever seen), but it is also fun to drive, it is comfortable, and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg to buy it.
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

·
Registered
33 Posts
What CAN the trunk hold.. im sure its not ONLY the roof.. lol im sure u can fit like a brief case in there or SOMETHING lol is there anyone WITH a sky that can testify??:cheers:

·
Registered
444 Posts
What CAN the trunk hold.. im sure its not ONLY the roof.. lol im sure u can fit like a brief case in there or SOMETHING lol is there anyone WITH a sky that can testify??:cheers:
It will hold a fair amount as long as the items are not ridged like a briefcase...

Groceries in plastic bags, dufflebags etc etc.. As long as they can conform to the surroundings...

Anything ridged will have to be small enough to place at the back of the trunk on the floor....

Hope that helps:thumbs:

·
Administrator
7,097 Posts
Skyepilot, have you driven a Sky ? Have you even seen one in person ? You are making statements that most of us, who have these cars and drive them everyday, find to be completely incorrect. And you are quoting a financial publication article. At least find an automotive article to quote. Better yet, drive the car, and generate your own opinion.

I am guessing that you have made these statements specifically to generate the responses you have gotten. Including this one, I have to admit. Your comments bring nothing to the discussion, and, unless they are based on your personal observations, should not even be posted. They seem to be intended wholly to generate response, which is called trolling, and is against the forum rules, by the way.

Just for the record:

The Sky was not built to compete "in the big leagues", it is a Miata-class car, and it competes quite well there, thank you.

The trunk is not hard to close, mine works fine everytime.

The roof is not Miata easy, but it (in my opinion) is far more attractive, so a little ease of use is not hard to give up.

The power is more than adequate for the driving that I do, I like real tight twisties, not drag races, so power is not the be-all and end-all for a car. I like the base Sky, and have no intention of going Red-Line.

The handling is spot-on. It turns in when I want, the back end is very adjustable with my right foot, and it is forgiving when I hit the brakes at the wrong time, up to a point, at least.

Is the Sky perfect ? of course not. Does it answer every question for every driver/owner ? of course not. Nothing can. That said, it is quite a wonderful compromise, and I think that it hits its design targets quite well. And it costs less than $30,000 !!!

·
Registered
18,466 Posts
Who drives this car on a race track everyday? This is the average persons FUN CAR...gets lots of attention and most of all...adds some happiness to our lives. What more can u ask of it? The roadster was never meant to be a performance car. The R/L was/is and now every critic can go to their corner and weep.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Skyepilot, have you driven a Sky ? Have you even seen one in person ? You are making statements that most of us, who have these cars and drive them everyday, find to be completely incorrect. And you are quoting a financial publication article. At least find an automotive article to quote. Better yet, drive the car, and generate your own opinion.

I am guessing that you have made these statements specifically to generate the responses you have gotten. Including this one, I have to admit. Your comments bring nothing to the discussion, and, unless they are based on your personal observations, should not even be posted. They seem to be intended wholly to generate response, which is called trolling, and is against the forum rules, by the way.

Just for the record:

The Sky was not built to compete "in the big leagues", it is a Miata-class car, and it competes quite well there, thank you.

The trunk is not hard to close, mine works fine everytime.

The roof is not Miata easy, but it (in my opinion) is far more attractive, so a little ease of use is not hard to give up.

The power is more than adequate for the driving that I do, I like real tight twisties, not drag races, so power is not the be-all and end-all for a car. I like the base Sky, and have no intention of going Red-Line.

The handling is spot-on. It turns in when I want, the back end is very adjustable with my right foot, and it is forgiving when I hit the brakes at the wrong time, up to a point, at least.

Is the Sky perfect ? of course not. Does it answer every question for every driver/owner ? of course not. Nothing can. That said, it is quite a wonderful compromise, and I think that it hits its design targets quite well. And it costs less than $30,000 !!!

Hey hey...slow down!!!:nono:

All he was doing was a favor to us all and bringing an article to our attention.

He did not write the article nor agree with it.

All he was doing was being a good forum member and sharing information.

DO NOT SHOOT THE MESSANGER!!:nono: :nono:

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.