Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have our car. :D This is the one I snagged on Autotrader from an independent dealer in New York State. Autotrader lied and said the dealer was much closer which I only realized after the deal was finalized and looked at directions, but no divorce over who got to drive back and when. I-76 east of Pittsburgh to Mayland was fuuuuun. Up mts., down mts. , curves! We checked out the car at the dealer, who has many high-end sports cars, wow! They had a Corvette for $106K. :eek: This dealer told me to leave my deposit with my local dealer, change the order to redline, and he would buy it off me. I wonder how much over msrp I could get from him? Anyway, I digress. We looked it over, test drove it with the top up and down and then headed home. Here are some random thoughts. Please feel free to comment. There was a post about being careful not to get your pants dirty putting the top up and down. Three pairs of dirty pants later, I have solved this by putting a rag towel on the roof as a reminder, which I put against the car to lean on. I am finding it a little difficult to pull the top up, from the center, out of the trunk. Any suggestions to make it easier? It’s okay after that initial tug. I also noticed the next day after we got home what looked like a whitish rub/smudge spot on the driver’s side top on the farthest forward support. I wonder if this is rubbing on the bottom of the trunk or is something else. I put the towel there just in case. Huge blind spot on the driver’s side when the top is up, at least for me. We didn’t go highway fast during the test drive, but after stopping because it started to rain, I noticed a loud wind sound on the driver’s side around the lock area right behind my left shoulder. Could this be a seal that is bad, and I wonder if the warranty will cover it? Yes, one does need t-rex arms to do some things in the cockpit, but I didn’t find it to be as difficult as some people. I totally agree that you can’t see the radio display in the sun. I have this same problem in my Accord with the Sirius unit mounted to the window. Does anyone know about the XM to Sirius conversion kit? Is it external? I have found it just as easy to use the fob to unlock the doors from inside as to reach around me with my right arm and pull up the lock. Doesn’t seem that bad to me either way. While following my wife in our Accord, I had the speed control set at a steady 70. She claimed she had the speed control on the Sky set at a steady 67-ish, yet she was pulling away from me. Any suggestions? You all are correct that this car attracts a lot of attention. In parking lot restaurants, people constantly stop and walk around it; we had a scary moment while going the speed limit when a cop pulled out and followed us in the left lane while we were in the right lane. Now we have to come up with a good name for our forest green beauty before we head to the dmv. Thanks for any thoughts and good luck for everyone waiting!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Congrats...you know we're waiting on pics right?:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Suggestion #1 -- keep your car clean -- your pants won't get dirty.
Also #2 -- I have never picked up the roof from the center -- but I always use two hands on one side (fron of window opening to rear of window opening) and lift evenly.
Yeah got the little wind noise -- that is what volume on the Monsoon is for.
Speed? Even think your other car was wrong?
I shade the radio when I need to -- which is like once a ride....

Oh and Congrats!! Need pics..

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I agree about the top...

I too, find it a little bit cumbersome to grab the top in the center...could be because I'm 5'6", and it requires me to really reach over and across the car to grab the center of the top...I sometimes feel like I'm going to fall inside the car...:lol: However, I recently discovered a new method of lifting up the top, that works better for me. Once I pop the trunk release...while still sitting in the car, I gently push the trunk lid up and reach over my head with both hands (you have to be kind of flexible - which I am), grabbing the top in the center and pulling it up and over my head. Seems to require much less effort when I do it this way...probably because I'm using both hands and my positioning is more centered. Just something you might wanna try.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I usually get someone to help me raise and lower the top one on each side grabbing and lifting evenly from the side. If I can't get someone to help me I will raise and lower from the side but will bring up and over either side until I feel the slight resistence like its starting to not be even with the other side. I then go to the opposite side and guide the top pin into the hole while making sure both hooks go into the holes behind the doors. then throw the lever. To lower I pull straight back from the side not up or down because you will tear the sealing gasket mounted on the windshield frame. Once it gets into the trunk I do not force it all the way down from one side. I gently push down on the opposite side and return to the initial side and push gently down until I feel the top is firmly seated on the aztec pyramid. This takes a little longer but I feel it will save some wear and tear on the top mechanisms in the long run. When I saw how the salesmen were doing this to show you how easy the top raised and lowered I went iinto initial shock but realised it wasn't my car he was slamming the top around on. No wonder they break! Compared to my 59 TR3 this top is a lot quicker and easier to raise and lower. In the TR3 the rain storm is usually over by the time you get the first ten snaps on never mind getting the frame work up.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Sounds like a winner, congratulations! What's a radio? I load up CD's and MP3's and away I go. The radio is good only for traffic reports on clogged highways. If I'm on in a traffic jam I figure I'm smart enough to know without a DJ telling me I'm stuck. Rock on!
Imaged 23/06/06
KGKH3X
BUILD WEEK! 31JUL06 – 06AUG06
4200 Shipped 8/14/06 COUNTDOWN IS ON!!
Midnight Blue
Tan Leather Inserts
Tan Top
Manual
LSD
6 Disc Monsoon
Chromed 18 in wheels
Windscreen