Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to propose a new term, or a new standard for all of us. If we start doing it then it will become the standard. But we need to start now...

The terminology is regarding a "non-Red Line SKY." The common term used has been "base SKY" but I don't like that much. "Base" makes it sound stripped. And lots of people add CAIs and Custom Exhausts and even turbos and stuff, leaving the car anything but "base."

So how about if we all start referring to it as the 2.4L SKY - reflecting the fact that it has a 2.4 Liter Engine - versus the Red Line which has a 2.0 Liter Turbo engine.

If you agree with me, then just start using the term 2.4L SKY and perhaps everybody will pick up on this and then we have established a standard. If you want to continue using the term "base" then that's okay, too - no harm done, other than saying that you drive a "base" car!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I would like to propose a new term, or a new standard for all of us. If we start doing it then it will become the standard. But we need to start now...

The terminology is regarding a "non-Red Line SKY." The common term used has been "base SKY" but I don't like that much. "Base" makes it sound stripped. And lots of people add CAIs and Custom Exhausts and even turbos and stuff, leaving the car anything but "base."

So how about if we all start referring to it as the 2.4L SKY - reflecting the fact that it has a 2.4 Liter Engine - versus the Red Line which has a 2.0 Liter Turbo engine.

If you agree with me, then just start using the term 2.4L SKY and perhaps everybody will pick up on this and then we have established a standard. If you want to continue using the term "base" then that's okay, too - no harm done, other than saying that you drive a "base" car!

OOOOOOOOOOO --- touchy!!!!!!!!:eek:

Kidding. BUT, for us keyboard challenged members, since Redlines are often referred to as RLs, how about NRL for BASE Skys?

·
Registered
227 Posts
What's the engine code for the 2.4? Could use LNF for the 2.0 turbo and whatever the engine code for the 2.4. Always use LSJ when we talk about the Cobalt SS/Sc's and Ion RedLines to diffentiate from the other engine variants.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Ill stick with low VIN and accurate terminology of the "FIRST Sky"...

I guess I'll also get to stick with my LSD leak, lack of power seats and no door lock button.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Don't some folks refer to their "base" cars as "N/A" (naturally aspirited)? I know I've seen that term used frequently on the Sol forum. I've also seen a few Sky owners referring their base Skys as N/A Sky.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Over on the Solstice forum a lot of folks have gotten into the habit of calling our "base" Solstices by the term NA, abbreviated form of Naturally Aspirated. This would be in contrast to the turbo charged GXP's and Redlines.

NA just seems more car enthusiast than "base".

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Don't some folks refer to their "base" cars as "N/A" (naturally aspirited)? I know I've seen that term used frequently on the Sol forum. I've also seen a few Sky owners referring their base Skys as N/A Sky.
:dupe:ARGGGHHH! You beat me to it! :dupe:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Over on the Solstice forum a lot of folks have gotten into the habit of calling our "base" Solstices by the term NA, abbreviated form of Naturally Aspirated. This would be in contrast to the turbo charged GXP's and Redlines.

NA just seems more car enthusiast than "base".
NA Sky... that just sounds NA Sty.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
I say the "Regular SKY" and the "RedLine SKY" or as Blue04RedLine says, LE5 for the 2.4 Regular SKY or LNF for the RedLine SKY...

I guess we can see we don't have much else to do but discuss this... :D :lol: :willy: :thumbs:

Regards,

BA...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I say the "Regular SKY" and the "RedLine SKY" or as Blue04RedLine says, LE5 for the 2.4 Regular SKY or LNF for the RedLine SKY...
Yeah, but "regular" makes us non-turbo folks sound so old and overly concerned with our digestion.....:jester:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
921 Posts

I would just like to call it, "In my garage"

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Yeah, but "regular" makes us non-turbo folks sound so old and overly concerned with our digestion.....:jester:
Your point? :D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, it sure looks like there is no consensus.

But I can say this... When I refer to BABY as "my crappy old SKY" it is not well received.
:kick:

·
Registered
155 Posts
i agree call it sky and other R/L
Count me as voting for this option as well. I'm thrilled for all of you with R/L models (and even a little jealous on occasion) but I'm annoyed with the whole idea that my car is a "non R/L." I see the Redline as an addition or premium on top of the regular Sky (like Monsoon, CAI, power seat height, chrome wheels, or a spoiler, etc.), not a requirement when subtracted that makes the cars without it undeserving of praise.

I've seen more than a few threads that either implied or explicitly stated that those of us who didn't get a R/L (didn't need the power, didn't want to spend the extra money, couldn't afford the extra cost, etc.) were crazy/stupid or both! Don't misunderstand me, I completely understand your appreciation for the R/L, and it unquestionably adds to the vehicle, but those of us without it have a pretty nice car ourselves, and being forced to continually refer to it as a "base" seems like a slam on us and our cars.

Hey, you guys with the R/Ls have faster, more powerful cars than the rest of us. Surely that is worth the trade off of having the onus on YOU to specify that your Sky is unique from the "base" model! Besides, having to type R/L is a badge of honor! I wish I could do it! (Don't worry Raven, I love you dearly as you are!)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
I being the resident ******* think that calling the Sky is ok And then the upgrade R/L is good to go with me ...Sky and R/L is the way it should be ...Do I hear a second on this ? How about a third? ...Skip...:) :) :) :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
just call it what the badge on the back of the car says that IS its name after all.... SKY.... SKY R/L easy...

PS i second SKIP

1 - 20 of 42 Posts