Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes my fellow posters, I am sad to report that this past Saturday (11/11) I was struck by an idiot while driving my SKY. This young girl was driving in the middle lane, thought she was going to miss the exit to her hotel and without looking made a right turn into my car, which was in the right lane. Needless to say, the wife and I were okay (my wife complained of lower back pain Saturday night but has since said she's okay; I hit my head on the left side of the convertible top rail, but it wasn't a hard hit and I was fine). The poor SKY though took the brunt of the force: driver's door, left rear quarter panel, small part of the rear bumper where the LRQP meets, and the chrome rim and tire are damaged. Police were called and a report was made; I called both my insurance company and hers yesterday and of course talked to the dealership about which repair shop they recommend (ironically, this happened right across the street from my Saturn dealership).

Here are some preliminary pictures taken in my garage Sunday (it's been non-stop raining):

As soon as it clears up outside, I'll pull it out of the garage and take some better pictures. There's one other area that's damaged and it might be the passenger side seat - when I took right or left turns, you could clearly hear what sounded like to pieces of metal banging together around the passenger's side seat (but only during turns).

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
OWEEE!

Check your rear rim, too. The reflections seem a bit odd like it might be bent.

So sorry. But look on the bright side - At least there wasn't a turtle in harms way.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Glad you guys are OK.... We now have proof that the Sky is not plastic....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[/I]
The rear rim is definitely damaged, if not bent too. She scratched it up pretty good and I think chrome is even missing. She had a 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo.... just think what damage a big old pickup truck or SUV would have done!!! Although I never used the horn, I don't think she would have heard it anyway... so I think I'll be looking into a loud horn replacement soon.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ouch! That hurts... And from where she hit you you should have been in her field of view not even in a blind spot. It's all good though so long as your wife and you made it out undamaged...

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Total Bummer! Glad there were no serious injuries, let us know what the estimates come to. Hope the "fix" doesn't take too long.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Shortest sentence

I wept... :cryin:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
That damage looks quite ugly. Glad the injuries were minor though. Didn't the dealer send you to their own body shop?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Dang

Can't avoid the dumb ones...:cryin: Glad you both are ok...but keep track of any aches and pains and don't sign off until you are sure...:thumbs: :dthumbs:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
we all are grateful you both were not injuried.

But here we have proof that this is one tough tank. Having a large car smack you hard as it moves into your lane and the glass is unbroken and the doors open and you step out ..... that is impressive!

Saturn engineers celebrating along with the Insurance Lab guys!

:party: :yay: :party: :lockme: :lurk: :party:

·
Registered
18,386 Posts
Members ...address the repairs now...we know how he feels. Now u have to move on....

Let me suggest that all parts be replaced. Do not let the body shop try to repair any damages. Get all new parts. At least this way, it will be new, at least visibly.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Jersey drivers :nono: A Brooklyn Boy displaced in Jersey.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Good to hear you are okay. Its always a constant fear of mine, especially in a smaller car to be merged in to. This sounded like a poor driving decision by a young driver more than a blind spot mishap though.

Its so sad that we are accumulating so many pictures of banged up Skys. But thanks for the documenting photos nonetheless.

Just as a test I bet you can pull up next to another roadster (take your pick) and people will STILL come by and be like... "Man, that Sky looks way better".

·
Registered
994 Posts
GRRRRR. I can only imagine how you feel. :brentil: I've been trying to catch the neighbor up the street. Looks like someone hit the passenger side of his fairly new red and white mini Cooper.

·
Registered
82 Posts
:cryin: sorry to hear about your misfortune.but please let us know the costs of repair. I assume with all new parts. As good as some body shops are new is new even a really good repair is not quite right. But either way please post details.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
what a nightmare :eek: ...at least you and yours are OK!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Glad to hear that you are OK.... but let some time go by and make sure everything checks out before you sign off....

HoldHard

·
Registered
204 Posts
You know, I'm beginning to wonder if Porsche took out a contract on all the Sky's... there aren't enough of them around to account for all these crashes! :eek:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Glad you are both ok, don't discount an injury though. If you haven't gotten a full check up do so, trying to document it later is nearly impossible.
Poor Sky, she's beat up alittle too. Have 'em check the under piinings also to ensure all is straight and the frames not bent.

·
Registered
429 Posts
OWEEE!

So sorry. But look on the bright side - At least there wasn't a turtle in harms way.

Jdig.-Good one with the turtle reference ............I read that one:lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts