Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... on the price of a NEW tire :mad: $294.95 for just the tire!!! :eek: Why, might you be asking, did I have to get a new tire? Because a big ol' black screw was jammed in it causing the tire to go completely FLAT. Of course it couldn't be fixed (so said two different service/tire shops). It was in the curved part of the right rear tire - a plug and/or patch wouldn't have held in that area, I was told, so a new tire was needed. The worst part - the tire only had 549 miles on it!!!!! Yes, that's right - 549 miles in about 2 1/2 months of ownership. In the end the total bill came to $337.95. Be careful and aware if you need a new tire - it will cost you an arm & a leg. :brentil:

·
Registered
420 Posts
yikes sorry to hear that!

although now I'm kinda glad my dealer added on that Environmental Protection package which covers road hazard damage to the tires for 5 years.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discount Tires offers a no hassle warranty with the purchase of your tires there. Now granted, it does cost a little extra but you won't go through the misery expressed here.
I am NOT a dealer of tires, not a stockholder but I have bought my tires at Discount for years now and they never let me down. That's saying a lot, so at least look into it before you buy your next set. Other major tire dealers may have something similar too.

Imaged 23/06/06
Midnight Blue
Tan Leather Inserts
Tan Top
Manual
LSD
6 Disc Monsoon
Chromed 18 in wheels
Windscreen
wheel locks
Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
139 Posts
SUNNY_SKY said:
yikes sorry to hear that!

although now I'm kinda glad my dealer added on that Environmental Protection package which covers road hazard damage to the tires for 5 years.
Thats what I got too.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I got it too..1 rim is about 600.00 to replace

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Next time search around for tire prices. I've found the tires that come stock on the SKY for sale for 130 bucks at a few places. Man thats a total bummer tho 549 miles and needing a new tire. If it ain't one thing its another!:willy:

·
Registered
745 Posts
I got it too

Chicagoland roads are notorious for pot holes bigger than the Sky the 300.00 for 5years of protection is a outstanding value.

·
Registered
388 Posts
We've searched around and found the tires for $200.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My dealer tried to sell me a road hazard warrenty on the tires for $300 and I declined it, mostly because I was so mad at the finance woman for all the bull she was putting me through. These low profile tires seem like they are relatively easily damaged, so maybe I'll regtet that decision some day :eek:

·
Registered
72 Posts
StarlightSky said:
Discount Tires offers a no hassle warranty with the purchase of your tires there. Now granted, it does cost a little extra but you won't go through the misery expressed here.
I am NOT a dealer of tires, not a stockholder but I have bought my tires at Discount for years now and they never let me down. That's saying a lot, so at least look into it before you buy your next set. Other major tire dealers may have something similar too.
Heck, I asked my Discount Tire if they would sell me a warranty on the tires that came with the Sky. Since they sell those tires, they obliged me. I spent $160 for total coverage including lifetime balance and rotation. The cost of one tire replacement will pay for the coverage. If I don't use it other than balance and rotation, I'm happy. Discount Tires gets a good deal out of it because they know when it comes time for me to buy new tires, it will be from them.

Jim

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Technically you didn't get robbed. You just had misfortune smile upon you.

Or, as my grandmammy used to say, "The bluebird of happiness dumped a load on you on his way to visit somebody else."

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hey, at least they were stock 18" wheels and tires. I purchased mine with 20" tires and wheels which mean that they are that much more low profile and that much more expensive. Cross your fingers for me.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Pitcom said:
Next time search around for tire prices. I've found the tires that come stock on the SKY for sale for 130 bucks at a few places. Man thats a total bummer tho 549 miles and needing a new tire. If it ain't one thing its another!:willy:
Unless you're looking at used tires you're not going to find our tire new for that price.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
You can get our OE tires from tirerack.com for $226 + shipping. Local tire shops I've found can get an RS-A in our size for about $216 BUT that is NOT the same tire that's on our cars. That's a tire for the Altima 18" wheels I believe and there are slight differences, I believe the compound. Took my tires sales rep at Discount Tires 3 days to track down the correct tire to find there was a 4~5 week national back order on them. Because my dealer also wanted $295 for the tire.

I know because I had the same lovely experience of a nail in my left rear tire.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Check out Tirerack.com - you may be able to save some money on future tires.

·
Registered
422 Posts
SUNNY_SKY said:
In the case of GMguy74 the tyre was brand-new you should get a new tyre with that Protection package.
Is work and rebalancing included?

And what do you get if the tyre is half worn after 15,000 mls for example?
Or if the tyre is nearly completely worn, what do you get?

·
Registered
47 Posts
THAT sux ... the bigger the wheels the more $$$

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ernest said:
Me three, it also includes wheel replacement!!!!!! We got the same package!!!
:thumbs: :thumbs:
I got it also, seemed like a great idea for the price.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts