Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
put a deposit in sept 2005, ordered car mar 15, the car was built 6 weeks ago. told that the car shipped on may 15 should be in LA by Memorial Day. talked to the GM at galpin, and was told it was going to arrive by today.

just got a call from the GM that the car that they were told was shipped is still sitting in wilmington,DL!!! not only that, they are totally clueless why my car wasnt shipped, yet they received 3 skys today.

anyone in this forum know who i can contact directly? the 800 number is useless.

Saturns tracking system and backend for ordering is totally BS....

and they still cant confirm when it will ship, except that it is just sitting there, this is from the largest saturn dealer in the USA.... what a crock...

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Fax a nasty letter to corporate with a copy of FORBES' article attached and say, "This is why your comeback is going to be slow or won't happen and it doesn't have to be this way." These problems can be fixed. They need to do it!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had a problem with my dealership, I wrote a letter to saturn corporate, sent it certified mail, and they called me as soon as they received it. Try going that route, maybe it will help, though I think they'll probably have to wait until the next shipment going out to LA from Deleware as they probably can't ship just one car, which sucks.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
skybuy said:
put a deposit in sept 2005, ordered car mar 15, the car was built 6 weeks ago. told that the car shipped on may 15 should be in LA by Memorial Day. talked to the GM at galpin, and was told it was going to arrive by today.

just got a call from the GM that the car that they were told was shipped is still sitting in wilmington,DL!!! not only that, they are totally clueless why my car wasnt shipped, yet they received 3 skys today.

anyone in this forum know who i can contact directly? the 800 number is useless.

and they still cant confirm when it will ship, except that it is just sitting there, this is from the largest saturn dealer in the USA.... what a crock...

read the threads about how to track your own car. don't rely on your dealership to do it, do it yourself. A few of us were very successfull at tracking our cars from the plant to our doorstep. I believe one or two were even from southern cali.

·
Registered
517 Posts
usmc said:
read the threads about how to track your own car. don't rely on your dealership to do it, do it yourself. A few of us were very successfull at tracking our cars from the plant to our doorstep. I believe one or two were even from southern cali.
I agree, listen to the old timers, they are definately "in the know"

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
HotSky said:
I agree, listen to the old timers, they are definately "in the know"
Do we really have to be old timers? :confused: How about Refined or maybe experienced? :brentil:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
It also may not be GM... the federal goverment *NTSA I think* randomly picks vehicles from plant lots for emmisions checks. I am hoping that is not the case.

One of my fire chiefs bought a Dodge Dakota special order... it was built in under 3 weeks... however, it was one the lucky random vehicles chosen. 3 months later it was delivered... with 75 miles and some dents. The dealer gave him a free extended 6 year/100,000 mile warrenty and they fixed the body damage even though neither issue was caused by the dealer, factory or transport company.

·
Registered
102 Posts
maybe you need to learn what getting screwed really means. I'll give you a hint : it doesn't mean getting a car later than you were promised because of some mixup.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
GMguy said:
maybe you need to learn what getting screwed really means. I'll give you a hint : it doesn't mean getting a car later than you were promised because of some mixup.
truth and auto dealers are oxymorons. saturn is no exception. i've been told some many half truths and wrong info, i do feel screwed....

i shouldnt have to go thru some byzantine tracking procedure, when my dealer should have this info. and if the dealer cant track a shipment what does that tell you about the quality of GM's delivery system? i have shipped items much larger than a auto and can track every move of my bill of lading. so the lame ass excuses i am getting is abunch of BS.

this whole expericence has been a bad joke...

this is systemic of GM's poor performace and probable doom in the long term....

·
Registered
389 Posts
skybuy said:

You may not be alone. Talked with my dealer on Monday. My car was produced on 5/10 but they don't have any info of where it is or if it has even shipped.
Hmmm I just had a thought, there seem to be several small quality issues popping up lately. It could be that they are holding cars to check them for these issues and fix them if they are present before they ship. It happened with the Solstices.
But it does seem that if GM made more info available to the dealers, it would be easier on all of us. I mean if they would just come out and say there has been a delay in shipping, we wouldn't be happy but at least we would know why our cars a not arriving. When the dealer has to say I don't know or we don't have any info, that just makes us angry and frustrated.

·
Registered
246 Posts
GRinLR said:
You may not be alone. Talked with my dealer on Monday. My car was produced on 5/10 but they don't have any info of where it is or if it has even shipped.
Hmmm I just had a thought, there seem to be several small quality issues popping up lately. It could be that they are holding cars to check them for these issues and fix them if they are present before they ship. It happened with the Solstices.
But it does seem that if GM made more info available to the dealers, it would be easier on all of us. I mean if they would just come out and say there has been a delay in shipping, we wouldn't be happy but at least we would know why our cars a not arriving. When the dealer has to say I don't know or we don't have any info, that just makes us angry and frustrated.
I'm playing the waiting game with you as mine was built about the same time as yours. If it's any consolation, the guy ahead of me on the list had his built a week earlier had his arrive a couple days ago. His went from 3800 to showroom floor practically overnight!

·
Registered
251 Posts
skybuy,

Words of encouragement! I was in the same boat as you and I was at the end and ready to cash out. I talked to my dealer's Sales Manager and he made some calls to the local rep and in days I had word that the invoice came and that the car would be there within a week, but guess what I got a call THE NEXT DAY it was there :willy: Hang in there but don't stand by and do nothing, write a letter or call your dealership and ask for the head manager and have them check on it for you. There is someone "in the know or at least can be in the know" just a phone call away! But expect it to be lost in translation for a bit then just show up out of the blue with no prior communications! Do not give up on it because this car is certainly worth every minute you wait!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Wake up call for everyone

skybuy said:
truth and auto dealers are oxymorons. saturn is no exception. i've been told some many half truths and wrong info, i do feel screwed....

i shouldnt have to go thru some byzantine tracking procedure, when my dealer should have this info. and if the dealer cant track a shipment what does that tell you about the quality of GM's delivery system? i have shipped items much larger than a auto and can track every move of my bill of lading. so the lame ass excuses i am getting is abunch of BS.

this whole expericence has been a bad joke...

this is systemic of GM's poor performace and probable doom in the long term....
Everything you say is true....
BUT (and a big but)
The system that GM uses has worked for many, many years. So what has changed?
How many cars have you:
1. Custom ordered?
2. Called, hunted, and visited the dealer on a Weekly/daily/hourly basis wanting to know if "they painted the left front fender yet?"
:willy:
You see the delivery system is NOT for us the buyer - it is for the Dealer. There is little wrong with it compared to most "inside" tracking systems I have worked with.
The normal routine for a customer built car (almost every new car I have bought has been made to order) is; "We'll call you when it comes in." End of conversation until 4-6-8-10 weeks later when they call and say, "Hey your car came in!" And we make a hole in our daily life to go pick it up.
Compare that to SKY madness -:willy: - we call daily -- we need info NOW (Like it will make the SLIGHTEST difference) and we want our car this instant. We hear it may be on a truck in B.F. Iowa and we camp at the dealer with $3000.00 worth of after market stuff to put on, while the car may still be on a train to nowhere, as it often is (but we never hear about it because no one cares about "all the other" cars).
Here is the actual -- NO BS about build and delivery of your new Saturn SKY:
It will get there when it gets there - not One Minute Sooner....

Relax -- it is a great vehicle...:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
You have NOT been screwed!!! :nono: The retailer has NO control of when the vehicle is shipped and of how it progresses en-route to the retailer. :eek: This is why many retailers have chosen to keep their customers in the dark because the information the receive from GM is not as accurate as customers want even though is accurate enough for retailers to conduct business. :thumbs: I bet they have regretted the fact that they told you information that turned out not to be accurate and have adjusted their policies because of this. Remember, they are only the messenger.

I give as much information to all my SKY hopefuls as I can but all of them know that they can't hold me to any specific date since there is NO WAY I can pin point something I have no control of. Is pretty harsh to pounce on your retailer for not been accurate. Would you just prefer to be all the way in the dark about your car? or do you think that at least knowing your vehicle has been built gets you closer to having her?

I have a customer that has had a deposit for OVER ONE YEAR and his SKY was just recently ordered due to all the constraints we had up until a few weeks ago. So all I can tell you is to have patience and I know you have had already gobs of patience. It will be all worth it the day you drive out of the retailer with your new SKY!!! :cheers:

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
SKY Spy said:
You have NOT been screwed!!! :nono: The retailer has NO control of when the vehicle is shipped and of how it progresses en-route to the retailer. :eek: This is why many retailers have chosen to keep their customers in the dark because the information the receive from GM is not as accurate as customers want even though is accurate enough for retailers to conduct business. :thumbs: I bet they have regretted the fact that they told you information that turned out not to be accurate and have adjusted their policies because of this. Remember, they are only the messenger.

I give as much information to all my SKY hopefuls as I can but all of them know that they can't hold me to any specific date since there is NO WAY I can pin point something I have no control of. Is pretty harsh to pounce on your retailer for not been accurate. Would you just prefer to be all the way in the dark about your car? or do you think that at least knowing your vehicle has been built gets you closer to having her?
Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:
My feeling exactly. My General Manger started this process with me by saying that he'd give me what information he could. He stressed that all it was - was the exact same info he had. He could not change it - would not interpret it (except with facts EG: "When we get invoiced we generally get the car within 8-10 days") nor would he speculate without making it clear that it was idle speculation. He has lived up to his word. I have the info I seek - is it the best? Well, yes it is because THERE IS NO OTHER INFO.

People who compare GM (or Ford or Chrysler) method of tracking to Dell (yeah let's assemble 17 parts in 15 minutes and not lose track of Rick's computer) or UPS (who owns the entire process from pick up to delivery -- and still gets it wrong from time to time) is not paying attention.
A car maker is building a machine, which has to be mechanically perfect and cosmetically perfect. They begin with THOUSANDS of parts in different colors, styles, capabilities, options etc.....They have standards that they adhere to - they built the car with the order in mind -- then turn it over to SOMEONE ELSE to ship who turns it over to SOMEONE else to ship to the dealer -- who is happy to see the cars arrive, just to get the pleading SKY Owner to Be off their necks.... (Ok they really do like us -- but we DO have to be PITA's from time to time)...

To quote a fantastic poster on the thread (that would be ME BTW)
It will get here when it gets here -- not one minute faster... Or later for that fact.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
skybuy said:
I have bought 4 Saturns in 6 years from Saturn of the Valley, my experience with the Sky and thier attitudes I will doubt I will buy a car from them ever again. I do not consider them a true Saturn Dealer, they are Galpin Dealership and Galpin has it fingers in how that dealership is ran.

Unless I see some other documentation, there claim to be the biggest Saturn Dealership is :bs:

They told people when they got the preproducyion Sky in November that it was due to their "special relationship" and that it was a special favor that they were granted. :bs:

:rant:

One of these days I am going to let loose and say how I really feel about this dealership! :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts