Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hockey is Canada's national sport Mr Marvic.
I seem to have sticks and pucks coming out of my ying yang in my garage, even though I live in the west I have been a die hard Montreal Canadiens fan for over 45 years

Terry

·
Super Moderator
11,612 Posts
Hockey is Canada's national sport Mr Marvic. We have hockey pucks everywhere, here. :willy: Granted we don't win the Stanley cup every year. We must let the americans win it, from time to time, just to keep things interesting. :jester::D
Uhmmmm...a Canadian team hasn't won it in the last two decades...hell, haven't won it since the last Millennium.

:jester: :cheers:

Now if my Ducks can only get the blue line problems solved maybe this year the cup can go from it's old home to it's new home by auto transport. I'll volunteer to move it in the front seat of my Sky.

I need to go get some pucks. Every one I have at home is either a commemorative puck from a give-a-way night or is autographed by a player...those won't do.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I use the BMW pucks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was just having a little fun, but what I said about using the proper tool in the proper way applies. Personally, I use a block of wood between the jack and the lifting point in order to clear the fender, it's worked as well as the hockey puck, or the lifting pucks sold by many places on the internet.

If you have a lift, check the drawing in #1 and the placement in #3.

Credit the pic#4 to Marvic1
Thanks for the pictures! This is very helpful

·
Registered
7 Posts
are those made to leave them in or to put in place as you need them?
Unfortunately no... as a matter of fact, my polished aluminum pucks I got 11 years ago fit VERY loose. I cut out some foam wrap washers that go between the body & the puck to help hold them in place while I jack the car. Forget to pull them out the other day. :( lost one of the 4 on a quick post maintenance neighborhood/highway blast... now only have 3.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I do not believe that anyone that bought the BMW pucks has had any problems. That seems to be the best solution.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
I buy rubber hockey pucks and give a pair to every club member. They are non skid and flex to conform to the jack. Metal does not do either. I recommend jacking at the tie down slots as they are the only hard points under the car. The front “jacking point” is not able to withstand multiple jacking events. They bend and become useless

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I recommend jacking at the tie down slots as they are the only hard points under the car. The front “jacking point” is not able to withstand multiple jacking events. They bend and become useless
FWIW:
That is because those front structures are "lifting" points and not "jacking" points. They should only be used with a vertical lift.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
FWIW:
That is because those front structures are "lifting" points and not "jacking" points. They should only be used with a vertical lift.
Thanks Dave
On my car the repetitive lifting badly deformed these lifting points. Enough do I had to make metal pads to return them to service
And my Mechanical Engineering background though in the fin past suggests the difference between lifting and jacking are minor. Both are vertical loads on the structure. Depending on the jack there may be dome horizontal component but it’s relatively small and the deformation I observed was due to vertical loads exceeding the design load. The “lifting point” has insufficient load bearing capacity to perform its task, eethet lifting or jacked.
thr hard points at the slots in the frame on the other hand are holding up well as designed

·
Administrator
7,088 Posts
Thanks Dave
On my car the repetitive lifting badly deformed these lifting points. Enough do I had to make metal pads to return them to service
And my Mechanical Engineering background though in the fin past suggests the difference between lifting and jacking are minor. Both are vertical loads on the structure. Depending on the jack there may be dome horizontal component but it’s relatively small and the deformation I observed was due to vertical loads exceeding the design load. The “lifting point” has insufficient load bearing capacity to perform its task, eethet lifting or jacked.
thr hard points at the slots in the frame on the other hand are holding up well as designed
Absent a formal analysis, I will say that the difference between jacking and lifting is substantial in that jacking at one point exerts significantly more than 25% of the weight of the car on that point, and the application of the load is by the edge of the jack pad and not flat-to-flat.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Absent a formal analysis, I will say that the difference between jacking and lifting is substantial in that jacking at one point exerts significantly more than 25% of the weight of the car on that point, and the application of the load is by the edge of the jack pad and not flat-to-flat.
This is along the lines of the differences I was thinking about between a lift and a jack. Thanks.

DaveOC

21 - 35 of 35 Posts