Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my next update from Borla Performance Industries... Two photos are attached of their current configuration... They're going to be doing some adjustments to the sound levels, and they haven't run the Dyno tests yet. I should get my car back this week - their target is to be done by Wednesday - so I should certainly have Dyno results by then.

In the mean time, here are two photos from the lab with the custom-cut rear valance.

(Note that they did it with some sort of cutting instrument - not PhotoShop like I did! :thumbs:)

AND - the word is that it looks like they are going to offer the duals right out of the gate. So, if you want a production system just like my custom job, it looks like you're going to be able to get it.

Woo Hoo!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Mmmm thats the ONLY thing I thought I would want differently when I saw the Sky for the first time... "I wish it had two exhausts".

Looks fabulous.

·
Registered
420 Posts
the cut-out looks good!

can you post an audio file of the exhaust note once they get it tuned?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SUNNY_SKY said:
can you post an audio file of the exhaust note once they get it tuned?
I asked Borla if they were going to do that at the lab, and they said that their recording results didn't yield accurate samples. As a result, I don't think there will be official Borla .WAV files.

However, I'm game to try anything once. I'm planning a beach run on June 25th, and I'll see if I can record a stock SKY, then I'll use the same device, same location and record my Borla. I think we might have a MagnaFlow exhaust car there, too. If we do, then we can compare all three notes. Sounds like fun to try - don't know how the results will turn out, but I'll give it a shot - and if I get anything meaningful then I will post them here.

How's that?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Friggin awesome!

Is this an entire catback replacement? or did they just replace the muffler and add dual exits?

just curious.. it looks like the bends in the tubing near the front of the car are the same as stock. Hard to tell from the pics so thought I'd ask.

that cutout looks perfect! I wonder if they'll tell us the process they used?

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Looks AWESOME!!! Congrats!!!!!!! :cheers: :cheers:

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
usmc said:
Is this an entire catback replacement? or did they just replace the muffler and add dual exits?

that cutout looks perfect! I wonder if they'll tell us the process they used?
In terms of the Cat-Back - Yes - all new pipes from the Catalytic Converter, which is pretty much alongside the engine. It's new all the way back.

As for the cutout, I'll ask. Even if it's a real neat hole, I'd be concerned that it doesn't have the factory 90-degree bend behind the plastic to reinforce it. Could vibration cause it to crack or tear? I will run with it for a while until the Red Line Fascia becomes available and I will let you know!

·
Registered
388 Posts
jdigiant said:
Just got my next update from Borla Performance Industries... Two photos are attached of their current configuration... They're going to be doing some adjustments to the sound levels, and they haven't run the Dyno tests yet. I should get my car back this week - their target is to be done by Wednesday - so I should certainly have Dyno results by then.

In the mean time, here are two photos from the lab with the custom-cut rear valance.

(Note that they did it with some sort of cutting instrument - not PhotoShop like I did! :thumbs:)

AND - the word is that it looks like they are going to offer the duals right out of the gate. So, if you want a production system just like my custom job, it looks like you're going to be able to get it.

Woo Hoo!
NIIIIIIIIICE! ME LIKEY! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
jdigiant said:
In terms of the Cat-Back - Yes - all new pipes from the Catalytic Converter, which is pretty much alongside the engine. It's new all the way back.

NICE!! if you get a chance, ask for a pic of the borla catback and the stock one side by side. Magna did a pic of both units laying on the garage floor so we could see the difference in the types and angles of the bends.

I don't mean to be a pest, I just want to do all my research before that $$$$ burning a hole in my pocket finally comes out. :cheers:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Nice............

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just sent an e-mail to my contact at Borla asking three things:

1. The tools used to make the cutout

2. I asked for a copy of the template used to make the cutout. If they haven't tossed it in the trash, and if they send me a copy, I'll let you know.

3. I have requested photos of the three exhausts side-by-side on the shop floor - the stock, the Borla Single and the Borla Dual. Don't know if I'll get the pictures, but no harm in asking!

As for me, I want to see them Dyno charts!:drool:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I'll venture a guess of 8-9bhp which should be about 6 or 7 at the wheels. Do I win a dual borla if I'm right? :jester:

·
Registered
35 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Mmmm thats the ONLY thing I thought I would want differently when I saw the Sky for the first time... "I wish it had two exhausts".

Looks fabulous.
I said the same thing to the salesman !
Cheers
OAKVILLESKY

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
That looks awesome... cant wait to get mine...SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Wonder how much that's gonna cost..... :confused:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I also would like to know how much the cost is goning to be?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts