Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A while back I asked if anybody had any way to get rid of the Idiot Stickers on the visors, and I learned a bunch. For example, that they were molded into the plastic, you can't peel them off, some people put vinyl stickers over the top to cover them up, etc.

I then said, "Let me see what I can come up with..."

First I called our pals at KappaSphere and asked if they were going to come up with "aftermarket visors" maybe with a mirror on the passenger side, or lights, or something without those stupid warnings. The response that I got was that it probably would put them at risk if they eliminated the legal warnings. In other words, some idiot would install KappaSphere visors, get in an accident with a kid "not in the back seat" and then sue KappaSphere because they were just a victim and if only KappaSphere didn't eliminate those warnings then they would have known to put their kid in the back seat... You know how it goes nowadays.

So, with that avenue blocked off, I got me some nifty spray-on rubber stuff from my local Hardware Super-Store, and came up with something myself. First I tried the spray on a piece of tupperware to see how it worked and to get familiar with it's color and coverage. Liking what I saw, I removed and masked up the two visors using Scotch Tape to go along the seam on the edge and using a sheet of paper to cover the back to prevent any overspray. I also covered the little sliding window with Scotch Tape, too, to keep that clear and in the original surface.

Below are photos of the prep steps. A separate thread shows the before and afters. Here's the photos of the process...
  • Photo 1 - the back of the visor all masked with scotch tape and a yellow sheet of paper (you can use any color paper that you like :thumbs:)
  • Photo 2 - the front of the masked visor, showing the scotch tape on the mirror window
  • Photo 3 - right after spraying the first coat. It is very glossy when wet, but dries to a color that is a near perfect match
  • Photo 4 - the magic stuff that works GREAT

Attachments

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
Great idea!!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
That's really cool! I HATE those ugly warnings!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Maybe i should paint mine.. PINK...... along with the calipers....SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
42 Posts
:cool:

Notice my smiley....if you have dark enough shades you wouldn't even need to lower the visors with the stupid warnings thereby not needing to go to all that effort. :smash:

Now where can I get a can of spray on rubber stuff? :leaving:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Rahn said:
:cool:
Now where can I get a can of spray on rubber stuff? :leaving:
I believe he stated that he found it at his local hardware super-store...which to me, sounds like a Home Depot or Lowe's type of place.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nscrbug said:
I believe he stated that he found it at his local hardware super-store...which to me, sounds like a Home Depot or Lowe's type of place.
Exactly. Lowe's in my instance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for posting the how-to, jdigiant! That is definitely on my list for next weekend...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had a hard time finding the plasti dip spray... no luck at Home Depot or Lowes in my area. I finally ordered it from Amazon. Project is easy, and looks great. Thanks for a killer idea! :thumbs:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I Don't Have A Backseat!

I may not have been SO annoyed with the idiot stickers if they were warning me about something I actually have in my car.......but telling me to put the child carseat in the backseat is just not HELPING!

Anyway, I painted my visors yesterday and they look FABULOUS! The flash makes the newly painted part look darker than the mirror cover I taped up, but in the sunlight you can't tell a difference.

Someone else said they had trouble finding the spray on rubber stuff jdigiant used......I had a can of "No-Skid" spray and that worked perfectly. It gives it a little textured look/feel. Here are a couple of pics. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Good looking MOD. I may have to attempt this one soon. :thumbs:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thought we should get this thread back out there for the newbies to see!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I decided what the heck I'll try and get rid of those warning stickers. Went and got some vinyl paint took them off tape them up and 1/2 later Happy Happy Joy Joy. They look great. Now I don't have to feel like I am a dumbie and being told not to put the car seat in the "rear seat":rolleyes:

1st pic is before, second if after one coat, third is comparing 4th is the final product

jdigiant, thanks for being the first to try this, great idea

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts