Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Sky Redline out last weekend for a bite to eat with my wife and on the way home doing 65Mph on the local highway, cranking the tunes, I decided to drop the hammer a little to perform a pass. I looked down at the speedo after a couple of seconds and saw that I was doing well over 100Mph! I was like holey crap! It was kinda of scary but way fun at the same time. I forget sometimes what blast it is to drive this car! The ol' Permagrin is back. I keep reminding myself of this when I think about buying a Corvette C8. Yes having a Corvette C8 would be way cool but I don't think the fun factor would be all that much better. Especially considering the price difference. The Sky wins hands down for performance (and fun) vs cost.

·
Premium Member
Black 2008 Saturn Sky Redline (manual)
40 Posts
Felt a little froggy earlier this past summer and managed to pull about 140 briefly. Scary and fun definitely describe the feeling!

·
Registered
18,029 Posts
Yes I have. I can't think of anyone who has died purely from driving too fast.
There was an older person out west...he was in a Solstice...went into a tree after pushing the car (DOA)....then of course, in North Carolina....went driving drunk in the car in the evening. It was the Tail of the Dragon....he of course went off the cliff, landed in a tree...he killed the girl but he survived. We never heard the after of what happened to him. That's what I remember. If the original members were still on the forum...I am sure there are more incidents....I remember Dengel when she went too fast (also Tail of the Dragon)...on a turn she flipped over....she got lucky and walked away unscathed....but the car was totaled.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have hit 200 km/h (124 mph) GPS speed with my GT, about 210 in the indicator. The car felt happy at that kind of speed and willing to run much more. My foot was not that happy though, so it lifted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm waiting on my BC coil overs and a fresh alignment before doing +120....but a 100 is easy to hit when tuned :devilish:

·
Super Moderator
6,459 Posts
I'm waiting on my BC coil overs and a fresh alignment before doing +120....but a 100 is easy to hit when tuned :devilish:
100 is easy without a tune, 80-100 sprints are almost a routine when passing on the interstate.
It is even possible without a turbo, as I have had my NA to 100 a couple of times.

120+ is a whole different arena, and not worth the risk (physical and legal) to me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
John is correct. On a couple of occasions while passing cars on the interstate, I have looked down and realized I was going over 100MPH. It is at that moment that I remember a buddy of mine was clocked going over 100 on the interstate, got pulled over and was arrested on the spot. His car was towed and he earned himself a 6 month suspension of his driving privileges. I'm sure having other tickets didn't help the situation, but the reminder of that certainly makes me lift my foot off the go fast pedal!

·
Registered
985 Posts
My advise regarding a speed test......

a) Make sure the tires have the right pressure and your fluid levels are proper.
b) Conditions must be safe.

The road must be straight, smooth, and dry, with no cross streets, driveways or business entrances. There should be little to no wind. There should be no other drivers on the road in either direction. On local roads, I first do a dry run. I check for pavement condition, road debris and road kill. I also check for law enforcement. Then I come back and do my test.

As I mentioned before, only once I did a speed test to 152mph on Interstate 88, west of DeKalb, IL. I did not first do a dry run there, but everything else was in order.

I feel doing a speed test on curvy roads is suicide.

The dumbest thing you can do is what I've seen a couple others doing on the highway. That is treating other vehicles like construction cones. Once I seen a lowered rice burner lose control driving like that. In front of me, his rear tires broke free of the pavement. He broadsided the left barrier wall, crossed all lanes and broad-sided the right barrier wall, then pulled over after regaining control. He was very lucky. I hope he learned his lesson.

·
Registered
235 Posts
. . . . It is even possible without a turbo, as I have had my NA to 100 a couple of times. . . .
I did a couple of (one direction) tests with my Solstice 2.4 Auto and almost got to 123 MPH.

In my daily driver I drive max speed (all that she got) about every week. But that gets boring fast so after an hr or so I slow down. Slower is more fun and more relaxed.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
I can say with 100% certainty that my Sky feels substantially better over 120MPH than my 87 Fiero GT. The latter desperately needs a hood vent to prevent it from trying to be an airplane at that speed :)

·
Premium Member
Black 2008 Saturn Sky Redline (manual)
40 Posts
Completely agree with all those conditions rjgramps listed. The few excessive speed attempts I've done have been on a stretch of four lane without onramps or intersections and as straight and flat as can be for about 2 miles.

·
Registered
589 Posts
SPEED kills...ask a few owners....oops! They are not around.
We just had some idiot at Christmas come flying down a busy road at 5pm (M59) doing over 100mph and killed a little girl and her father. They had just picked up a new car at the dealership right there on the corner. Please don't try your "runs" on public roads. It's not that I care about you, it's the other people you hurt and families you devastate. To me, it's like the guy that walks into a packed theater carrying 5 guns and 1000 rounds of ammo. He knew there was no way out alive, but he wanted to take 50 innocent people with him....when he could have just put a bullet in his own head and not ruined 50 other lives...Go to a track and if you die in an accident...oh well.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts