Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
marlboromike,

Sometimes you just kill me. I don't say that to be critical of you, rather that you are entertaining when you post one of your zingers.

So here is a zinger toward you. You remind me of a woman who struggles with her monthly time of the month.

I hope I had you laughing, not getting angry, for my comment was surely intended to put a smile on your face. If you took offense, let me know and I will quickly edit it out.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I installed semi rigid foam pad under the console to support it from below. It has worked great for years.
My original one cracked. Bought one that ended up being from a Solstice, and even though it hasn’t cracked, I’m going to reenforce it this same way. (Rigid foam pad for the win!)

Anyone who says these don’t crack is on the 1/2 side who are nuts (although in his case, I think Big Mike secretly knows it!).

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
My original one cracked. Bought one that ended up being from a Solstice, and even though it hasn’t cracked, I’m going to reenforce it this same way. (Rigid foam pad for the win!)

Anyone who says these don’t crack is on the 1/2 side who are nuts (although in his case, I think Big Mike secretly knows it!).
I have two, one with 105k and one with 90k. Neither is cracked, and I am not nuts. (See post #21)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I had JPM cover my original center console back in 2009 with diamond stitched leather. I checked it and there are no cracks on the bottom.

·
Registered
17,660 Posts
marlboromike,

Sometimes you just kill me. I don't say that to be critical of you, rather that you are entertaining when you post one of your zingers.

So here is a zinger toward you. You remind me of a woman who struggles with her monthly time of the month.

I hope I had you laughing, not getting angry, for my comment was surely intended to put a smile on your face. If you took offense, let me know and I will quickly edit it out.
I never personalize...it is not necessary

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
if you don't lean on them they tend to hold up just fine. I rest my elbow on it when getting in so mine was starting to crack.
This explanation really seems to be the answer for varied experiences, it really comes down to how you get in and out of the vehicle. It seems like a lot of these crack right at the emergency brake bracket as it flexes around the cavity area around it. At least that's where mine is cracked from the PO. I don't think it would crack any other way except from a heavy pin point of pressure. So user results with cracking vs not cracking may vary greatly. I imagine with recovering, such as that by JPM, would possibly thicken up the console and that may help distribute weight a little bit more evenly. Or again it could just come down to how the driver enters and exits the vehicle.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I gave the upholsterer a call and sent him some pictures. He said it would be about 3 weeks to get it done and he would charge me $100. That's for all black with the seams like Rob's and the stitching to match the seats. If I went with the diamond stitching it would be extra. I'm going to try and drop it off this weekend and then we will wait and see.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I dropped off the center console this afternoon with the upholstery guy. The one thing I didn't seem to ever clue in on is the cut out shape of the factory console vs the JPM console.

He pretty quickly saw the difference and was quick to point out the design I requested wasn't going to work. So instead he's suggested to move the stitching to the outside of the indent so it will loose the fluted look that I liked.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Picked up the console from the upholstery guy today. Thanks everybody for the ideas and the help. I think it turned out pretty nice.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts