Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I think we are pretty much locked down with one little detail hanging us up, but here is the rest of it... Since this is the first anniversary of the very first ever SoCal SKYs event we are going all-out with a two-day bash. Feel free to come and go as you please, join us when you want, leave us when you want. We are going to do this loosey-goosey again and just concentrate on having fun and hanging out. You don't need to "do it all." I just have a cool weekend planned and I'd love to have my friends hang out with me all along the way, okay?

SATURDAY

Saturday, June 23rd isn't going to be about the drive as much as it is going to be about doing cool stuff.

START
Sonic Drive-In
1632 N. Lemon Drive, Anaheim
11:30AM

Have lunch at an old-school burger drive-in. This is where we started our classic Idylwild/Opel GT encounter for those that were lucky enough to tag along for that event. We don't have any special reservations here or anything, it will just be a bunch of customers having lunch all in the same sort of cars. Visit their website here:

http://www.sonicdrivein.com/index.jsp

We will be departing at no later than 1:00 PM

DRIVE
91E - 57N - 210W - 118W - 405S

This is just a freeway drive (five freeways - yay, SoCal!) to get from here to there. Always more fun to do as a group!

STOP #1
Galpin Auto Sports
15600 Roscoe Blvd, Van Nuys
2:00PM

The folks at Galpin Auto Sports (home to MTV's Pimp My Ride) have graciously agreed to give us a warm welcom starting at 2:00PM. They have a 12,000sf Museum filled with all sorts of exotic cars, and a 7,000sf Showroom that we can check out. They will have techs there that can talk to us about any sort of special work that we might like them to do on our cars. AND, they have promised to bring in a couple of customized SKYs that they have done for us to take a look at. It should be a hoot! If you haven't seen MTV's Pimp My Ride, try to catch an episode between now and this weekend to get an idea of where we are going! You can visit their website at this address:

http://www.galpinautosports.com/

We will be departing around 5:30PMish to head to the beach.

DRIVE
405S - PCH

We will head down the 405 for another freeway drive to the beach!

End of Day
Beach Barbecue / Bonfire
6:30 PM(ish)

Here is where we got all hung-up in the planning. All of the beaches up near Van Nuys are either crappy-nasty or don't allow bonfires and barbecues. So THAT sucks... We will have to head down south to a cool Orange County Beach where we can hang out, have a barbecue, watch the sunset and sit around a bonfire. The beach party will go until we all decide to go. Don't worry, the Sunday drive starts late so you can stay out and party Saturday night! The exact location of the beach party has not yet been set, but we will try to go to the "northernmost cool beach."

SUNDAY

Sunday, June 24th will be a re-enactment of the drive that started it all one year ago... This isn't a high-speed, heart-pounding, twisty canyon drive. It is, rather, a mellow Sunday Drive along perhaps the finest stretch of beach drive anywhere - Pacific Coast Highway

START
Saturn of Huntington Beach
18801 Beach Blvd, Huntington Beach
11:30AM

You can arrive as early as 11:30 AM just to hang out and chat. This will be our assembly area, and Saturn of HB is kind enough to host us again like they did last year. Have lunch before you arrive (there are lots of places in the area).

http://huntingtonbeach.saturnoc.com/

We will depart for the drive around 2:00 PM!

The DRIVE
Beach Blvd to Pacific Coast Highway

This is a really nice drive through lots of beach communities. Be prepared to draw stares. We will proceed through Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Dana Point and stop at Capistrano State Beach (where I like to stop and get some great pictures - see below!) Then we will continue on down through San Clemente, hop on the I-5 through Camp Pendleton, then get back on the beach for a final short coastal drive through Carlsbad and Encinitas. Then it's back on the I-5 North to TGI Friday's in Carlsbad and we will end the day there.

Dinner
TGI Friday's
890 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad
5:00PMish

After a nice drive along the beach nothing beats a good dinner. This year we will end at the TGI Friday's in Carlsbad so we don't go too late or too far south. I figure we will get here around 5PM or so for anybody from way down south that just wants to meet us for dinner.

http://www.tgifridays.com/

Please Post an RSVP!

Reservations are not required, but if you are planning on tagging along please post a note stating for what part of the trip and what events you will be joining us. This will help me too coordinate parking and let our hosts know how many to expect. Thanks, all!

See you there!

Attachments

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Awsome Job

Great work John. :cheers:
Sorry for the "bother" on the other thread.

BTW, we were along PCH this past Saturday and there was lots of space at the North end of Bolsa Chica Beach. :cool:

P.S. Hope Spirit gets All better by Saturday

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Sounds Great!

The only exception is, that I was in the process of having Galpin Auto Sports as the starting point for the August 4th ride! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Perhaps, it is something everyone will want to do again.

I will be at GAS on Saturday at the minimum and plan on doing the Sunday Run.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I will be there on Saturday with Eloy (in the same car). We'll do the breakfast, and the pimp my ride, but we've gotta leave right after that! We'll see you guys there!

--Steven

·
Registered
50 Posts
ok I know some of our cars are fast, but...

Leaving Sonic at 1pm I don't think you can get to Van Nuys by 2pm, especially if you go by way of San Dimas. According to google maps, it's 30 minutes to San Dimas, and then 50 minutes to Galpin Autosports. That's 20 minutes too long assuming there is zero traffic (how often does that happen in LA?)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=Anaheim+CA&daddr=San+Dimas,+CA+to:San+Fernando,+CA+to:15600+Roscoe+Blvd+Van+Nuys+Los+Angeles,+CA&sll=33.983225,-118.141479&sspn=0.725366,1.2854&ie=UTF8&ll=34.061761,-118.13736&spn=0.724696,1.2854&z=10&om=1

I'm not confident that we could get from Sonic to Galpin in an hour if we drove straight there. Maybe I'm just cynical about LA traffic.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok I know some of our cars are fast, but...

Leaving Sonic at 1pm I don't think you can get to Van Nuys by 2pm, especially if you go by way of San Dimas. According to google maps, it's 30 minutes to San Dimas, and then 50 minutes to Galpin Autosports. That's 20 minutes too long assuming there is zero traffic (how often does that happen in LA?)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=Anaheim+CA&daddr=San+Dimas,+CA+to:San+Fernando,+CA+to:15600+Roscoe+Blvd+Van+Nuys+Los+Angeles,+CA&sll=33.983225,-118.141479&sspn=0.725366,1.2854&ie=UTF8&ll=34.061761,-118.13736&spn=0.724696,1.2854&z=10&om=1

I'm not confident that we could get from Sonic to Galpin in an hour if we drove straight there. Maybe I'm just cynical about LA traffic.
I clocked it at 70 miles. by the route indicated. The 57 and the 210 move pretty good (even more so on a Saturday) and usually seem to run at between 65 and 75 mph, so I figured an hour and ten, more or less, hence the "leave no later than 1:00." Hopefully we will get out by 12:45 or so and be on our way for a prompt 2:00 arrival.

But even if we don't, arriving there a little after 2PM will be fine. There is no show starting sharply at 2:00 or anything like that. They are just hosting us and we will get there when we get there.

So, yeah, I agree that an hour is optimistic, but I don't think it's any sort of a problem to the schedule that we need to get overly worried about.

:thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Alternative

I clocked it at 70 miles. by the route indicated. The 57 and the 210 move pretty good (even more so on a Saturday) and usually seem to run at between 65 and 75 mph, so I figured an hour and ten, more or less, hence the "leave no later than 1:00." Hopefully we will get out by 12:45 or so and be on our way for a prompt 2:00 arrival.

But even if we don't, arriving there a little after 2PM will be fine. There is no show starting sharply at 2:00 or anything like that. They are just hosting us and we will get there when we get there.

So, yeah, I agree that an hour is optimistic, but I don't think it's any sort of a problem to the schedule that we need to get overly worried about.

:thumbs:
If you want to slow down the trip and hit some twisties, I know of a quick section off the 57 between Imperial and the Diamond bar area.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can't make this one. Carlsbad is too far south for us to be on a Sunday evening. I was hoping the drive itself would have been on Saturday or Sunday morning. :(

·
Registered
188 Posts
Looking forward to it!!

Sounds great - I'll attend Saturday's ride! :thumbs:

(Sunday is doubtful - I have to drive to Lake Tahoe on Sunday - prior commitments) :banghead:

·
Registered
737 Posts
You don't think I would miss an anniversary! :nono: I will be there on both Saturday and Sunday...maybe a little late on Sunday, but will be there. The only thing that would hold me up is if I'm called to work. If that happens, I'll just have to catch up! Thanks John for planning a great weekend. Even after driving 3500 miles the last two weeks, I still have that perma-grin :D and itch to drive, drive, drive :driving: with the top down! See you all there!
I LOVE MY SKY!!!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
BBQ - Community Effort?

We will have to head down south to a cool Orange County Beach where we can hang out, have a barbecue, watch the sunset and sit around a bonfire. The beach party will go until we all decide to go. Don't worry, the Sunday drive starts late so you can stay out and party Saturday night! The exact location of the beach party has not yet been set, but we will try to go to the "northernmost cool beach."

Hey John, do you want us to bring anything for the BBQ? :confused: Do we supply our own or are we each bringing something? Inquiring minds want to know.
I LOVE MY SKY!!!!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey John, do you want us to bring anything for the BBQ? :confused: Do we supply our own or are we each bringing something? Inquiring minds want to know.
I LOVE MY SKY!!!!
Yeah, but we have no idea how many and potato salad in a SKY trunk on a drive is going to get pretty nasty pretty quick. What I was figuring was:

Bring your beach towels/chairs/etc in the trunk. That will keep just fine. Then, when we get to the beach we can take up a collection, run to a nearby grocery store and get what we need. Along the lines of the "make it up as we go" tradition of SoCal SKYs.

How does that sound?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
We're In

Me-n-SkyBaby are in. I haven't even spoken to her yet, but I know we will be there, cuz we're shackin' up together for the weekend!!!!! Woot Woot.....

Saturday I may catch up at GAS and skip Anaheim, depending on what SkyBaby wants to do. I live so close to GAS, ya know?

SkyBaby, call me on my cell... if you need the number again, pm me.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I hate that I work Saturdays... I'm also working overtime this Sunday from 8-noon... depending on what part of town everyone's in at that point, maybe I can play catch up.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
We will be departing at no later than 1:00 PM

DRIVE
91E - 57N - 210W - 134W - 101N - 405N

This is just a freeway drive (five freeways - yay, SoCal!) to get from here to there. Always more fun to do as a group!

STOP #1
Galpin Auto Sports....
May I suggest instead 91E - 57N - 210W - 118W - 405S as an alternate route?

It may be a littler farther mileage wise and a little longer if traffic is clear 101. However, I can tell you that 101 is a crapshoot even on a Saturday. Besides the 210w between the 134 and 118 is much more scenic.

Just a suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
11,280 Posts
As far as hauling goes, the Grand Prix has a big trunk so if some of you bring some things that may not allow you to drop the top in the Sky if you leave it in the trunk I'm more than willing to offer up some hauling space. Should have some extra room in the back seat...

...for those unaware some cars have a second row of seating further back in the vehicle that allows the vehicle to hold more that two people...Just FYI...LOL

(Yes, I'm playing...it's not easy being green...we'll see how many people get that. LOL)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts