Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from drving my Sky from Arizona to Ohio for the Mallett upgrade. I will post some pics and full discussion I had with Chuck while I was there. One thing I will say is he is planning some nice upgrades for those of you who want more HP but dont want to spend $25k+ on the v8 kit.

Here are some speed numbers on my the Stock sky I am keeping for comparion once I get my V8. Don't try this at home:

Conditions:
3000 ft, Near white sands New Mexico, light side winds, no incline
91 octane fuel, 2 x passengers at 380lbs. 1/2 tank gas Below is the 3 run average:

1/4 mile = 16.1 seconds @ 98mph (Saturn claims 15.7 is possible, and without a passenger that probly is about right)
0-60 7.5

Top speed = 125mph
I tried everything I could to get over 125, but you need to be in 4th to get up to max RPM/HP at 6500 and dumping into 5th the car immediatly starts to slow all thje way down to 4000rpms and 105mph. 5th seems to be a true overdrive. Getting rid of the passenger might have helped, but I think this is a hp/areodynamic drag thing. The car just runs out of go.

I will post my Mallett write up tonight and upload pictures when I get home.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
1,569 Posts
CyaL8r said:
Just got back from drving my Sky from Arizona to Ohio for the Mallett upgrade. I will post some pics and full discussion I had with Chuck while I was there. One thing I will say is he is planning some nice upgrades for those of you who want more HP but dont want to spend $25k+ on the v8 kit.

Here are some speed numbers on my the Stock sky I am keeping for comparion once I get my V8. Don't try this at home:

Conditions:
3000 ft, Near white sands New Mexico, light side winds, no incline
91 octane fuel, 2 x passengers at 380lbs. 1/2 tank gas Below is the 3 run average:

1/4 mile = 16.1 seconds @ 98mph (Saturn claims 15.7 is possible, and without a passenger that probly is about right)
0-60 7.5

Top speed = 125mph
I tried everything I could to get over 125, but you need to be in 4th to get up to max RPM/HP at 6500 and dumping into 5th the car immediatly starts to slow all thje way down to 4000rpms and 105mph. 5th seems to be a true overdrive. Getting rid of the passenger might have helped, but I think this is a hp/areodynamic drag thing. The car just runs out of go.

I will post my Mallett write up tonight and upload pictures when I get home.
Very cool. I am trying to decide if I want to do the conversion before the NOPI Nationals in September or wait until show season and summer is over and have it worked on over the winter.

Did they give you an estimate/time line of their work? As in a start & finish date?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Very interesting... I wonder about the redline versus doing some of the less expensive mallett upgrades... I am eger to hear the rest of the story
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,446 Posts
CyaL8r said:
1/4 mile = 16.1 seconds @ 98mph (Saturn claims 15.7 is possible, and without a passenger that probly is about right)
Not that I'm doubting you but that seems like an awfully high trap for that time. I mean, I've ran numberous 13.6 to 13.8 runs around the 98 mph mark in the Grand Prix. And that was at 2700 feet...

Seems like either there is more ET to be had on the launch or something. I'm assuming this wasn't at a track.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are right, it was not a track, but there was a 1/4 markoff and I had my passenger with a stopwatch...so not an official track run by any means, just something for me to compare too. The extra 200lb of passenger most likely had the most affect on launch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
Cya - are you sure you don't mean 88 instead of 98? That seems consistent with what I've seen.

Under 16 is do-able with one person at 1000' altitude or lower. Given you did this at 3000' altitude, your time will be slower. I'd bet about half the difference is the altitude, the other half of the difference between reported and observed is your passenger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I was not looking at the guage, that was what the "passenger" was for. Admittedly those guages are deeeeeeeep, so he had to lean over to get the number which was secondary to watching us cross the White stripe and click the stop watch. When I get it back from Mallett, I will be sure to take it to the local track and Post the time slip so folks can't gripe about my "Ghetto" 1/4 mile time trials. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
CyaL8r said:
Well, I was not looking at the guage, that was what the "passenger" was for. Admittedly those guages are deeeeeeeep, so he had to lean over to get the number which was secondary to watching us cross the White stripe and click the stop watch. When I get it back from Mallett, I will be sure to take it to the local track and Post the time slip so folks can't gripe about my "Ghetto" 1/4 mile time trials. :lol:
Hey - some of my best memories are my "ghetto" performance tests. Try sneaking out to a Sam's Club parking lot and timing laps on a makeshift drywall-drawn skidpad to figure out your max lat... :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
KappaMan said:
Hey - some of my best memories are my "ghetto" performance tests. Try sneaking out to a Sam's Club parking lot and timing laps on a makeshift drywall-drawn skidpad to figure out your max lat... :lol:
haha! Been there, done that!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top