Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a great product it took about three hours to install by a certified installer. I have a Midnight Blue Sky and you cannot even tell it is there till you get right up on the car. The whole lower fascia bumper and 24inches up the hood is covered, the mirrors, and all the lower rocker panels and door edges are also done. No rock chips for me and no bug stains on my paint. This stuff is great and I reccommend any Sky owner to consider it at resale it will be well worth it. To locate certified installer in your area just go to 3M website.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
How much did it cost total if you don't mind me asking....

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Eye on Sky said:
This is a great product it took about three hours to install by a certified installer. I have a Midnight Blue Sky and you cannot even tell it is there till you get right up on the car. The whole lower fascia bumper and 24inches up the hood is covered, the mirrors, and all the lower rocker panels and door edges are also done. No rock chips for me and no bug stains on my paint. This stuff is great and I reccommend any Sky owner to consider it at resale it will be well worth it. To locate certified installer in your area just go to 3M website.
That is awesome..... cant wait to see it... i will call when we are in the area... TY SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
994 Posts
Eye on Sky said:

Can you post some pics?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pricing

Going directly to a installer I paid just under 750.00, on line you can buy the patterns for about 525.00. I watched them do it, it doesn't look that difficult but knowing me it would end up in a ball twisted and useless. If you have a dealer do it they will just hire a installer and tack on another 200-300 bucks.
It is very overcast today and Midnight blue color it is almost impossible to see, but I will try to get some pics posted. The cost is very reasonable considering the protection it provides. Look at one of your other cars with 20-30,000 miles on it see how many stone chips on bumper hood mirrors and rockers you have on it not to mention bug stains, do you want your limited edition toy to be marred like that. I know I don't and it will only help at resale.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I hated it on my black Camaro, it eventually will shrink a bit, turn slightly yellow, turn a little dull, and everytime you wax your car you'll spend another 10 minutes with a soft tooth brush getting the wax off around all of the different pieces. Another problem was that it did not cover everything on the front end so the car did end up looking like it had 40,000 miles on it anyway. The signal lights, fog lights, and portions of the facia itself still were sand blasted driving on the freeway. I even had rock chips go through it and still chip the paint.
FYI, 3M does sell an adhesive remover that will work great to get rid of it.

I say get it if you plan on driving less then 5,000 miles a year and if you have covered parking at work. Here in Utah driving every day and parking the car outside during work it only lasted two years. I removed it after people started asking me what was wrong with my paint.

With that said,
I will probably just buy a roll and do it myself and cover the insides of the fenders and lower rocker panels when I get my Sky. Last time I checked a 12"x6' roll was about $40?

Remember it's only going to cost you $500 to get your front facia/hood repainted down the road anyway.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Interesting comments. Much to think about.....

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey Bradyb...where are you in the order process?...I assume you are working with the saturn group in the Valley. I have ordered through SLC Saturn...deposit Jan. 14th. It might be fun to share notes.

·
Registered
266 Posts
3m coating looks great almost three years later

I wonder how much the product has evolved..I have a customer with an anniversary ed. yellow mustang. He had the 3m product applied almost three years ago. I have drilled him on more than one occasion about all aspects of the product and he loves it. On close examination, it is hard to find on the car, with no yellowing or distortion and this guy is a freak about his car.
I think because I am a road tripper..interstate...If it delivered as well for several years it is well worth the investment...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How long ago did you have this done?

I read your post and was shocked at your experience. But let me start again this product has very good track record, the new stuff is ultra clear and with proper care should last a long time. If you go on the Expel website they tested it with co2 guns and it held up. As for removing all you need is a heat gun, when it is removed the paint is not faded as it would be with a black vinyl bra. As for repainting now you don't have a original car anymore, and no matter how much you spend to match a aged paint job to the rest of car this would stand out like a sore thumb. Every thing in life is a compromise and as this car is not a practical everyday driver us zealots will be willing to do everything we can to protect our toys.

·
Registered
325 Posts
That was just my first hand experience with it on my car (a 2002 Camaro). I've also seen three other vehicles (2001, 2002, 2003) where it looked like crap as well. My buddy has a Modena it looks great on that car but he only puts 2,000 miles a year on that car and it sits in a nice climate controlled garage all day.

Like I said my Camaro was a daily driver here in Salt Lake City (snow, slush, lots of salt, etc.) The main problem I experienced was that I could not wax it or buff it shiney again like paint, it just would continue to get more and more dull.

C/B vs. a cloth bra, that's no contest. The cloth bra will eventaully turn into sandpaper as it gets dirty. The clear bra may get ugly but it does protect the paint underneath, I just think it's false advertising that it will always look invisible.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Got the 3m on my Sol installed in Ogden. Seemed like a fair price to deal wit the salt/sand on Wyo roads. Paid around $600. Bumper,24" on hood,lights,rear view mirors and 3/4 of rocker panels. The Tech told me that if it starts to yellow, bring it back and they will buff out the yellow. I guess we will see.

·
Registered
388 Posts
On the Solstice forum there is a thread from a "certified professional detailer" who does not recommend the clear bra because it can change the paint color underneath it. Just another FYI. Look in the forum under car detailing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts