Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delivered 5/16

Black with Black Premium Interior
Chrome Wheels
Limited Slip
Automatic (yea, I'm not a purist)
Rear Spoiler
XM Satellite
CD/MP3 Monsoon
Splash Guards
Wheel Locks

Drove Home 5/16
Drove to Work 5/17
Headed to Dealer to sign additional papers 5/17
84 miles total: Shifter lights not working, Will not shift out of 1st gear.
Called tow on OnStar - rapid response

Car now at dealer - promised replacement trans - car back sometime next week.

What would you advise? Use Saturn replacement promise? Or accept with new trans?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
A new transmission with 84 miles on the clock...:confused: ...now that's a serious problem. Sorry to hear this. Personally, if I were in your shoes...I think I would demand another Sky. If it were something minor, then I would probably accept the car with the new part. But a new trans is not minor...IMO. Good luck with whatever you decide...keep us posted on the outcome.

By the way...what are "shifter lights" on an automatic?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Shifter Lights"

Sorry,

The LED's (apparently electronic) that indicate where the shift lever is and engaged: ie Park, Reverse, Drive, 4, Intermediate, Low.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
skyflier said:
Sorry,

The LED's (apparently electronic) that indicate where the shift lever is and engaged: ie Park, Reverse, Drive, 4, Intermediate, Low.
Ah...I see...thanks for the clarification. :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
Trans is just a mechanical part. It should not affect any other parts -- I'd take the replacement. It is all in the 36/36 B2B anyway. Better that it happened now that at 37,000 mi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Mine has paint problems
i thank the saturn exchange thing on a sky
will be very hard, they told me NO
but said they will get it perfect, we'll see:banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,676 Posts
Robotech said:
That sucks. I was thinking a sensor problem until you said it wouldn't shift out of first.
My wife's Cantera had that problem and it was a sensor problem. She had it happen on two different cars in both cases once the problem started the sensor would keep going bad on it. I really hope this is not the same transmission as the Cantera
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Sensor or transmission; this isn't your fault. You should have them replace the whole car, no kidding. GM went over these cars, specifically, with fine toothed combs. By you, the customer, accepting a "replacement part" on a brand new vehicle; gives the manufacturer no incentive to actually find the flaw in the system. Not to sound elite-ist, but when you drop 25k on anything new, it better be perfect. Just my opinion though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
People, people... Replece it with WHAT? There are NO SKYs just sitting on Saturn lots right now. If you want to replace it with another SKY then is NOT going to happen. :banghead: If he/she is willing to take any other Saturn, then the exchange can happen, otherwise there is nothing else to do, but get it repaired. :thumbs:

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Replace the tranny

The transmission is a part that is pre assembled. The fact that you happened to get a bad one should have no bearing on the rest of the vehicle. Replace the whole transmission, and it should be like new all over again.
If it happens a second time, replace the car! That's what I would do.
Good luck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
I agree

Sky Hi said:
The transmission is a part that is pre assembled. The fact that you happened to get a bad one should have no bearing on the rest of the vehicle. Replace the whole transmission, and it should be like new all over again.
If it happens a second time, replace the car! That's what I would do.
Good luck.
I agree - if there is a defect in a single part in the tranny - and you get a brand new tranny - what's the problem? If they said they would take two weeks to tear down and rebuild your tranny and it might still have the same problem I woudl be concerned. It could be as simple as a not or bolt that was not torqued properly and cmae loose. to get a whole new tranny is a good thing here.

Lemon? come on - has any other single Sky had this exact problem? has this car had numerous problems or a consistent problem after the dealer claimed to have fixed it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Lil GTO,

I've come to the same conclusion.

A new tranny and we're good to go.
The Dealer here is great, the salesman, the service manager, the sales manager, etc. all very cooperative.

I'm to have My Sky back by the weekend, and they have been generous in understanding my concerns. Even offered a convertible loaner (but not a Sky) till My Sky is back. I declined - just want mine.

Till the weekend :D :cheers: :D :cool: :driving: :crazy: :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
802 Posts
skyboy said:
Sensor or transmission; this isn't your fault. You should have them replace the whole car, no kidding. GM went over these cars, specifically, with fine toothed combs. By you, the customer, accepting a "replacement part" on a brand new vehicle; gives the manufacturer no incentive to actually find the flaw in the system. Not to sound elite-ist, but when you drop 25k on anything new, it better be perfect. Just my opinion though.
Easier said than done. Remember how long it took to get it in the first place? Now let's see another one with exactly the same options come off the line in the next week or two (that hasn't been spoken for already). Let them fix the problem and then if problems return you have something to fall back on.
ps I have automatic also and of course it works perfectly (knock, knock)
pssssss, I see someone has already addressed the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
eldeeko said:
(knock, knock)
Oh my GOD! Eldeeko -- did I just hear a knock coming from your transmission!?!:willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
skyflier said:
Delivered 5/16

Black with Black Premium Interior
Chrome Wheels
Limited Slip
Automatic (yea, I'm not a purist)
Rear Spoiler
XM Satellite
CD/MP3 Monsoon
Splash Guards
Wheel Locks

Drove Home 5/16
Drove to Work 5/17
Headed to Dealer to sign additional papers 5/17
84 miles total: Shifter lights not working, Will not shift out of 1st gear.
Called tow on OnStar - rapid response

Car now at dealer - promised replacement trans - car back sometime next week.

What would you advise? Use Saturn replacement promise? Or accept with new trans?
WOW - sorry to hear you are having problems with your brand new car! But just because the trans is bad does not mean the whole car is a lemon. Just be adamant they replace the ENTIRE transmission and not part of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
I have nightmares that something will go wrong with my baby, i'm sorry this happened. Could you maybe try to get an extended warranty out of it for your trouble?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All is Well

:D

The sky was a lot bluer yesterday and today.

My Sky has been returned, new transmission and good as new.

My dealer has been exceptionally good, and I have had no other problems.

This afternoon was touring time. :cool: :driving: :D :thumbs:

Top down, XM up.

Chose curvy, hilly roads around home for a 150 mile break-in, all within break-in parameters. Not goin' to overstress my Sky yet! What a great ride, and superb handling. :thumbs: :thumbs: I couldn't be more pleased. Convinced the wife to drive some. Mistake? Now she wants a second Sky, or she says this one is hers!!!

:cheers: Here's to lots of happy :D miles.

Keep on :driving:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
Many happy flights!!:cheers:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top