Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Kappasphere cold air intake on my sky. Below are some before and after pictures. Here are some details and some things I would like to discuss.

1. Installation was simple! Anyone can do it (make sure you pick up the T30 Torx screwdriver that the installation guide mentions).

2. The new sound is great. When I pass someone, now my Sky growls at them.

3. Over 3,000 RPM the acceleration is improved. It encourages you to use the entire RPM range. Below 3,000 RPM the engine doesn't get-up that it used to. I expected this, but... what are some things I can do to improve this?

4. Ventilation. Where the air filter sits does not get any direct ventilation from the front of the car. The honeycomb grill that is just in front of the filter is closed off. Where I live it gets hot (really hot) and it gets pretty hot under the hood too. Is it a good idea to drill open some of those honeycombs to let some cool air through? Has anyone done this yet?

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS. Thanks for the great reads on the CAI subject that helped me make a very informed purchase decision.

I'm with the "Straighter is Better" crowd.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Mahalos

We hope the educated Seniors on here had been able to help you make a wise choice on your CAI system.

I did my best to give good advice...I hope it helped you out....

the pics look great!

As FOR GETTING MORE AIR RAMED IN THERE....

FIRST: You would have to remove the top chrome/grill unit and drill holes into the (solid honeychrome grill which as you can see is NONFUNCTIONAL)...

SECOND: Unfortunately you will have to cut the sheet metal behind this grill that you removed....this would create a RAM AIR effect...then you can just put the top chrome/grill back...NO ONE WILL ABLE TO TELL AND YOU WILL HAVE A RAM AIR CAI SYSTEM.

THERE IS A POSSIBLE PROBLEM WITH THIS:

You should look into how this may effect the STRUCTURE of your front end....That would be my only concearn. When I get my Sky next week I will look into doing this myself....deal with what you have FOR NOW and keep in touch with me...I will let you know if it can be done or not.

I will talk to the Saturn Techs and find out if cutting out the TOP sheet metal with affect structure stability.

You see too much air catching under the Sky hood may actually slow it down or cause it to be unstable...do you kinda understand what I mean?

These are important questions when doing any modifications to your car.

There may be a half way point with this or THIRD option....Just remove the top honeychrome grill and drill the holes and just put it back...even if it may not be a HUGE DIFFERENCE it will increase your AIR FLOW more then if you DIDN'T DO IT! There are several open areas in the top sheet metal where ram air can pass!

I will Keep you posted bro! :thumbs:

Aloha :cool:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
probably a dumb question but....

if you cut out the hood to allow air flow thru the fake chrome grills, how much do you have to worry about water flowing thru those holes when driving thru a rainstorm? Or parked for hours at work will its raining cats and dogs??

or is it assumed if you do a mod like this that you won't drive in heavy rain?

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
The way it puddles in there during the wash I bet it would go right through in a rain storm. The position of the grills leads me to believe you might get your MAF sensor wet if any water got through.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The water is my main concern with drilling out that grill.

I looked at it closely. There is a second plastic barrier about an inch behind the flimsy honeycomb grill plastic. This would stop anything solid from flying into the engine compartment, so that is good. This second piece is also spaced so that air would flow around it so you wouldn't have to cut it, but with that air would come rain and water.

I COULD only drill the holes on the sides of the grill. This would leave the grill directly in front of the air filter intact and cool air flowing into the compartment from the sides. It would keep the air filter sort of dry, but it would allow water into the rest of the engine compartment.

I'm going to have to put some more thought into this.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Ram Air

I used to own a 73 mustang mach1 show car with ram air. Ram air is more then exposing the air filter to the wind. For the sky to have ram air, the air would neet to collect around the filter and be trapped or "condensed" there. The only way to have "ram air" would be to create some kind of funnel shaped shroud inside the engine compartment that was wide mouthed at the opening you create in the front facia and narrowed as it went behind the air filter. This along with the foward motion would give you true ram air at speed only, as this is where ram airworks. I guess if all your speed is all ready at top end now with the CAI, true ram air would aid top end further. Not that you are going to do this, just in thinking....:thumbs:

·
Registered
820 Posts
One thought would be that if you could get your hands on one of the air vents for the RL, you could use this to funnel the air into the air filter, but it may not fit and it may not be in the right position depending on where your air filter meets the grill area...just a thought though....

·
Registered
337 Posts
Nemesis said:
I used to own a 73 mustang mach1 show car with ram air. Ram air is more then exposing the air filter to the wind. For the sky to have ram air, the air would neet to collect around the filter and be trapped or "condensed" there. The only way to have "ram air" would be to create some kind of funnel shaped shroud inside the engine compartment that was wide mouthed at the opening you create in the front facia and narrowed as it went behind the air filter. This along with the foward motion would give you true ram air at speed only, as this is where ram airworks. I guess if all your speed is all ready at top end now with the CAI, true ram air would aid top end further. Not that you are going to do this, just in thinking....:thumbs:

Nemesis hit it on the spot...I should have been more clear...you need to create the funnel system to get TRUE RAM AIR...I am going to do my best to get to the bottom of all this when I get the Sky next week...Water infact will be a factor like you guys posted as well. Sometimes I wonder If I should be screwing around with all this in the first place.....

HELL YES I SHOULD!

Working on old cars is so much easier :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not really interested in creating a Ram air effect at this time. I just want to vent the front of the Sky so that some cool air can enter the area where my filter is, instead of being closed off like it is now.

Should my air filter be completely protected from drops of water or does it even matter if water gets on it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just a newbie question

What happens if water goes into the CAI? Let's say a truck in front splashes a big puddle and the back splash goes right into the whole and into your CAI.. Won't this mess up your engine? Doesn't the air from the CAI go directly into the cylinders to mix w/ gas for ignition?

Just a newbie question - sorry!:boxing:

·
Registered
476 Posts
HYDRO LOCK!!! Not good. that is the problem with some cold air intakes for other cars that place the filter real low near the wheel well. It may get the coldest air, but if you drive thru a puddle you are gonna be looking at a new motor. Had a friend who almost blew his motor this way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SpecRaceM5 said:
HYDRO LOCK!!! Not good. that is the problem with some cold air intakes for other cars that place the filter real low near the wheel well. It may get the coldest air, but if you drive thru a puddle you are gonna be looking at a new motor. Had a friend who almost blew his motor this way.
So SpecRaceM5...

Does Kappasphere have any suggestions?

Have you seen any other installations where the front was modified to let cooler air in the engine compartment?

Will the air filter repel water drops or does it need to stay absolutely dry?

What are some suggestions to increase power below 3,000 RPM?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
and I'm pretty sure that when you take it in to the dealership and they see that you cut air holes in the front to allow more air in (as well as water)... they will not cover any related damage.

be careful!

·
Super Moderator
11,620 Posts
Too bad someone can't make a true Ram-Air style pickup for the Sky. Maybe use the lower air dam or those two "vents" to either side that are now for look only to pick up cold air and push it up to the filter. By using one of those lower locations, then winding it up to the filter, you would create a system that wouldn't let much, if any, water into the intake unless you submerged the sucker.

Even then, you can put a check valve (I think that's what it's called) in the system that will allow water a place to escape while keeping the air flowing.

·
Registered
476 Posts
As far as modifying the air flow, we developed our intake for better aif flow, however we do not recomend modifying the grills to let more air in. A few drops are not going to ruin your motor, but if enough water gets in it will. The question you have to ask yourself, is if a possible small amount of power increase is worth the possibility of having to replace your motor if enough water gets in there.

As for the low end torque.... can you say... MALLET!!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SpecRaceM5 said:
As for the low end torque.... can you say... MALLET!!! :thumbs:

I don't like any answer that has 5 dollar digits attached to it. There has to be another way.

·
Registered
476 Posts
At Kappasphere, we are always looking for ways to personalize and improve performance in the Sky and Solstice. Un fortunately at this time we only offer intake and exhast, however there are likely more options out there that we just havnt discoverd or released yet. Stay tuned for such future modifications.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Upon further examination...

When the hood closes it does not form a seal. The air filter is located directly under the seam, so rain will undoubtably get through and on to the filter anyway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts