Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a newbie to the post. I just ordered my Red Line, midnight blue,5spd, blk leather. I have been reading some of the other threads and some of these people are a little on the crazy side. I was reading where one guy changes his oil every 1k? I wonder why Mobil makes oil that can be changed at either 5k, 7500, or 15k? I have a PT Cruiser turbo with a stage one kit on it, I use Mobil 15k, and I change it every 15k. Have 75k on it with no problems what so ever. I also have been reading posts where people get all worked up because some one like his Miata or s2000(I think) better than the sky. Who cares? You like what you like. If you want to compare performance only one thing matters, and that is the same thing that has mattered since highschool, 1/4 mile. Who in the hell races around a track very often? Bottom line is this. The red line is running 13.8-13.9 out of the box, this is pretty damn quick. Compare this to past "muscle cars" and even some of the current ones. (not manny left) The legendary car in my highschool years was the Buick GN. The sky beats it. Modern day mustang. Call it a tie. A few simple mods, and please tell me what they are doing, and this will be a mid to low 13car. That is ZR1 territory. So quit arguing about what you like and enjoy what you have.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Well said, lbsky!! Welcome to the forum. Did your dealer give you any estimate as to how long you'll have to wait? We'll have you arguing all our crazy stuff soon enough...:)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I just figured around five months from what I have seen on the post here and a few others.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Great words of wisdom.....hopefully the dealer gave you a pre order number. I've been on several list since May and still no order number or calls from dealers in the South.

I did the muscle car thing years ago 1970 Nova SS 350 small block. Added big 4 barrel, micky thompson headers, positive rear end, 3/4 cam, and some other performance things. Sounded real cool....bucket of nail hitting payment when idling. Floor it and the headers would blow off the exhaust pipes from header connection as designed. This car was pulling around 380 hp and definetly pulled the front wheels off the gound. It was hell on tires. Left dual streaks though 3 gears. Got smart and bought some cheata slicks for the real fun and competition. 1/4 mile in little over 11 sec. Yes it was a screamer and I wish I still have that car.
Most of the old farts here remember their cars during teenage and early 20 years. Made me feel 10 ft tall and bullet proof.

Congrats on your order and may the Saturn Gods shine on ya......:cheers:

·
Registered
388 Posts
REDLINE...performance ENJOY IT!

Hello, I am a newbie to the post. I just ordered my Red Line, midnight blue,5spd, blk leather. I have been reading some of the other threads and some of these people are a little on the crazy side. I was reading where one guy changes his oil every 1k? I wonder why Mobil makes oil that can be changed at either 5k, 7500, or 15k? I have a PT Cruiser turbo with a stage one kit on it, I use Mobil 15k, and I change it every 15k. Have 75k on it with no problems what so ever. I also have been reading posts where people get all worked up because some one like his Miata or s2000(I think) better than the sky. Who cares? You like what you like. If you want to compare performance only one thing matters, and that is the same thing that has mattered since highschool, 1/4 mile. Who in the hell races around a track very often? Bottom line is this. The red line is running 13.8-13.9 out of the box, this is pretty damn quick. Compare this to past "muscle cars" and even some of the current ones. (not manny left) The legendary car in my highschool years was the Buick GN. The sky beats it. Modern day mustang. Call it a tie. A few simple mods, and please tell me what they are doing, and this will be a mid to low 13car. That is ZR1 territory. So quit arguing about what you like and enjoy what you have.
...."Everything goes great with Caramel"

...Well said my friend....and theres MORE...Not only does the REDLINE smash..the Legendary Buick GN's 0-60 AND 1/4 MILE......check out these figures below...from a 1990 MOTOR TREND...I saved.....

................................ 0-60 - 1/4 mile
Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo 6.4 / 14.7 (Price $29k)
Acura NSX (Price $60k) 5.4 / 13.7
PORSCHE 928 GT (Price $77k) 5.9 / 14.3
Ferrari Testarossa ($175k) 6.3 / 14.5 (A super exotic)
BMW M5 (Price 50k) 6.4 / 14.9

AS you can see..the REDLINE...outperforms some serious sheet metal of yore...In other words....in 1990 you'd have to pay...EXOTIC car prices (or near exotic) to match the performance of the REDLINE...(or purchase a low tech v8 trans AM or Camro I ROC Z ...and neither OF those car can match or even equal..the REDLINE in sophistication/ tech..:thumbs:

Therefore just ENJOY the REDLINE....cuz shes got EXOTIC CAR PERFORMACE in her....for UNDER 33K (FULLY LOADED) !!!:cheers:

:deadhorse

·
Registered
426 Posts
come on guys lets not match up cars w/ cars from 15+ years ago. Thats like comparing apples to oranges you just dont do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Must be a virus...I just ordered myself a Redline yesterday too. Chili pepper red/black leather. I wanted to give a big thanks to all the people on this forum for the valuable info contributed. It made my decision easier:cheers:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also included the modern mustang. There are not enough muscle cars left to compare to. And why not compare to muscle care of old, they set the benchmark for today. I do not have any order numbers, I guess I need to get ahold of the dealer and see if he has them. I do not get too worked up over waiting a while. Good things come to those who wait.:cheers:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I can personally testify that the R/L is a bad muther at strip:D My previous posts can attest to this.:lol: :lol:

Lots of fun to be had at the strip, especially for an old retired geezer like myself. Yes, I have driven fast cars back in the 60's, S/S & Gas classes:thumbs: :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this is what I am talking about. Nothing wrong to comparing past to present. I do have a problem with arguing about about which is better, that is opinion. I am looking at an exhaust system that is shorty headers, high flow cat, and the rest. Looks like a good set up. Anyone know what the advantage is or the difference between the shorty headers and the long tube headers? Thanks for the info.:D

·
Registered
388 Posts
lbsky waiting time for a RL

I also included the modern mustang. There are not enough muscle cars left to compare to. And why not compare to muscle care of old, they set the benchmark for today. I do not have any order numbers, I guess I need to get ahold of the dealer and see if he has them. I do not get too worked up over waiting a while. Good things come to those who wait.:cheers:
...."EVERYTHING GOES GREAT WITH CARAMEL"

......Hey LBSKY....I think I can REDUCE your potential waiting time for the RL..by say....7 months !! OK.....how does NEXT WEEK SOUND..for a REDLINE AUTO TRANS/ SILVER PEARL ? IM ME for DETAILS ....:cheers:

PS..I'm finally getting my RED LINE / MANUAL 5 SPEED / SILVER PEARL / DECK SPOILER / 6 CD MONSOON......this SATURDAY...........................................(I SNAGGED A dealer allocation RL...this past THRUSDAY....as it was being unloaded off his truck!!!!!...TALK ABOUT GREAT TIMING MY GOODNESS.................................I bought the car ON THE SPOT......SO THEREFORE my previous position is AVALIABLE...at another dealer ..and that car is due by next week..but its an auto trans ...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...."EVERYTHING GOES GREAT WITH CARAMEL"

......Hey LBSKY....I think I can REDUCE your potential waiting time for the RL..by say....7 months !! OK.....how does NEXT WEEK SOUND..for a REDLINE AUTO TRANS/ SILVER PEARL ? IM ME for DETAILS ....:cheers:

PS..I'm finally getting my RED LINE / MANUAL 5 SPEED / SILVER PEARL / DECK SPOILER / 6 CD MONSOON......this SATURDAY...........................................(I SNAGGED A dealer allocation RL...this past THRUSDAY....as it was being unloaded off his truck!!!!!...TALK ABOUT GREAT TIMING MY GOODNESS.................................I bought the car ON THE SPOT......SO THEREFORE my previous position is AVALIABLE...at another dealer ..and that car is due by next week..but its an auto trans ...

this would be ok, except I ordered Midnight blue with a 5spd. I don't mind the wait. Thanks for the offer though. The good thing about the wait is that winter will be over. I see no sense in getting a rwd two seater just in time for the snow.:cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts