Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
The two holes are where the roof latches into the top when it is up. I recommend you search the forum next time as there is a wealth of information that has been already posted. As for waiting for the redline... that is a personal choice that only you can make. If 177hp and a 0-60 of 7.2secs is not fast enough for you then by all means wait for the redline.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Agreed! If you will not be happy tooling around in a good looking car that has average sport performance than you should wait for the Redline. Most people will being buying this car for it's look and fun factor; gulp, like the MX-5.

Sorry for the comparsion...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
andrewplanet said:
The two holes are where the roof latches into the top when it is up. I recommend you search the forum next time as there is a wealth of information that has been already posted. .
My Apologies I am new to the forum

·
Registered
727 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Base Sky, 177 HP

Turbo Sky, 250+ HP (no confirmed number yet, but it should be at least 250 based on different reports we have seen)

Take your pick. Depends on how much performance you need, and how much you can afford.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just hope the Red-Line's engine doesn't have that gawd-awful turbo lag. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
727 Posts
SkyHawk said:
I just hope the Red-Line's engine doesn't have that gawd-awful turbo lag. :rolleyes:
Me too. With the 250+ HP numbers that are rumored, I am concerned that it may be very peaky. However, it really depends on the displacement, size of the turbo, and how quickly it spools up. If the engine makes decent torque just off idle, and the turbo is small enough to quickly spool up, lag should not be bad at all. Lets hope!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Me too. With the 250+ HP numbers that are rumored, I am concerned that it may be very peaky. However, it really depends on the displacement, size of the turbo, and how quickly it spools up. If the engine makes decent torque just off idle, and the turbo is small enough to quickly spool up, lag should not be bad at all. Lets hope!
Why, lag can be good. If you want to get better MPG you just stay off the boost. I prefer the boost to kick in at about 2500-3000 RPM

·
Registered
554 Posts
Motor Trend has reported the new turbo engine for the Redline and GXP version with be a 2.2L engine. Take a look at the new 2006 EVO IX, it now has 286 hp and 289 ft. lbs of torque from a 2.0L engine. Hell, if Japan can boost this much power from a small 4 cylinder engine why can't the largest car manufacturer in the world?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Delnari said:
Motor Trend has reported the new turbo engine for the Redline and GXP version with be a 2.2L engine. Take a look at the new 2006 EVO IX, it now has 286 hp and 289 ft. lbs of torque from a 2.0L engine. Hell, if Japan can boost this much power from a small 4 cylinder engine why can't the largest car manufacturer in the world?
Ah come on man, are you really going to believe what a magazine has to say. That's almost like believing a dealer. :lol:

We've officially got zero official information about a GXP/RL even existing at this point unfortunately. Only things we've seen for sure are the modified Solsti and the prototype looking turbocharged version. Hoping we get some bones thrown our way at SEMA this year, but I'm not expecting anything official till NAIAS 2006.

·
Registered
205 Posts
yes a boost that kicks in at 2500-3k is a good thing. when you normaley drive it you stay out of the boost and when want to get on it you stay in the boost. driveing a tt stealth. you have to slip the clutch not to bog the turbos. but when you do the thing is a beast. and it olny has 320 hp. and is 3500lbs or 4k i think.

·
Registered
623 Posts
brentil said:
Ah come on man, are you really going to believe what a magazine has to say. That's almost like believing a dealer. :lol:

We've officially got zero official information about a GXP/RL even existing at this point unfortunately. Only things we've seen for sure are the modified Solsti and the prototype looking turbocharged version. Hoping we get some bones thrown our way at SEMA this year, but I'm not expecting anything official till NAIAS 2006.
The Mules exist, weather or not they are going to go into production is another story. There are rumors now even of a 2.8 V6, basically the base CTS/9-3 Aero Drivetrain, which isn't too shabby. Especially if they throw a turbo on it like the Saab 9-3 Aero has.

·
Registered
52 Posts
the prob with having a turbo that hits boost WAY early in teh RPM is that midway you have run out of steam. TQ is what makes a turbo so much fun. power (i mean HP) in MY book is the side effect. you get HP but its the TQ that gives you that stuck in teh seat feeling. if you put a turbo that spools to quickly then half way through your driving you loose that hard pull and now your just in the hp range. its fun and all but like i said earlier TQ is the best part of a turbo. however speaking form experinace, if teh throttle is indeed electronic then dont be surprised if you cant drive the car like youd want to. stupid electronics mite kick in and take some of teh fun out of the turbo. if it senses wheel slip it may close the throttle without your consent to try and regain control. i have worked both sides of teh engine mods and i gotta say turbo is fun and as an add on its great but when teh factory says its does such and such, i wouldnt do it. simply because they will go with the cheapest turbo and sometimes cutting corners like that locks the real potential away., but all motor is less headaches. if i approve of the design ques on teh redline body kit then ill get it but i would not spend close to 30k on .2 smaller displacement turbo car. i'll stay all motor and make TQ that way. other then that all i gotta say is "hurry up and come out already. i wanna drive my sky"

·
Registered
110 Posts
"I recommend you search the forum next time as there is a wealth of information that has been already posted."
You can't search for something like that with keyword, and reading all of the posts is unrealistic. The poster was correct in asking the question.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Delnari said:
Making more power is such a simple thing that a small child could do it -
that's not the issue - you have to warranty the car. How much are you going to have to beef up the drivetrain to handle the power reliably? Will the
car rob sales from another car, one that has a higher profit margin(Corvette, for example).

·
Registered
110 Posts
"you get HP but its the TQ that gives you that stuck in teh seat feeling."
So many people don't understand torque or horsepower. Horsepower is
a unit of work, torque is a unit of force. Torque is measured at all RPM levels, and horsepower is calculated from those torque values using
the formula HP = Torque X RPM X C (a constant).
The rated horsepower of an engine is the maximum calculated
horsepower. Obviously, the maximum torque will be found at an RPM level less than the RPM level where the max horsepower is found. For two engines with the same horsepower, but one has a lower torque, that engine will make less horsepower than the other at most of the RPM levels lower than that at which max horsepower is found. Engines in which the torque and horsepower
are nearly equal are characterized as "peaky" engines, with a relatively narrow power band, and one that is found at high RPM levels.

·
Registered
71 Posts
kingarthur said:
"you get HP but its the TQ that gives you that stuck in teh seat feeling."
So many people don't understand torque or horsepower. Horsepower is
a unit of work, torque is a unit of force. Torque is measured at all RPM levels, and horsepower is calculated from those torque values using
the formula HP = Torque X RPM X C (a constant).
The rated horsepower of an engine is the maximum calculated
horsepower. Obviously, the maximum torque will be found at an RPM level less than the RPM level where the max horsepower is found. For two engines with the same horsepower, but one has a lower torque, that engine will make less horsepower than the other at most of the RPM levels lower than that at which max horsepower is found. Engines in which the torque and horsepower
are nearly equal are characterized as "peaky" engines, with a relatively narrow power band, and one that is found at high RPM levels.
This is the most errored description of hp and tq I have ever read. :rolleyes:
You really need to take a step back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Kingarthur is correct in his writeup of torque and HP.

However, HP is what counts, along with gearing. The resultant torque that you feel is a factor of your HP and the effective gearing of the vehicle. So reported ENGINE torque isn't as important as HP.

·
Registered
205 Posts
tork is what gets you out of the hole. my alero has 200 torque and 170 hp but has alot more than the 2.2 4 with 160 hp and 140 torque. i like a v6 or a turbo v6 the 4 bangers i drove were all top end and you could not spin the wheels with out popingh the clutch or netrual drop for the auto. but with v6 you can just roast them. exept in a awd car.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts