·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Car News briefs: GM confirms Solstice, Sky will get supercharged engine
AUTOWEEK
Posted Date: 10/6/05
Boosted roadsters

That a Vauxhall version of the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky is in the works is nothing new. What is: We have confirmation of a supercharged high-output engine for the 2007 Vauxhall Lightning as well as Solstice and Sky.

Jon Lauckner, General Motors’ global product planning boss, says the Vauxhall two-seater will come to market with a 2.0-liter supercharged four-cylinder. The engine is expected to produce in excess of 200 hp and peak torque of 200 lb-ft, according to insiders. Look for the boosted engine in Solstice and Sky late next year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm... a little disappointed. The turbo sounded like it was in another league above the (correct me if I'm wrong here) Cobalt SS Supercharged/Ion RL SC engine. I heard the turbo could/would push WELL in excess of 200hp (253hp springs to mind?) Oh well, I guess the mods will be slightly different than I had already begun to plan! :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Keep in mind that the current turbo 2.0 is rated as installed in the Cobalt SS at 205. Stock installation in a Sky or Sol would be close to that. Almost 30 hp jump will be something you definitely would feel in both cheeks, not just the one under your wallet. Also driving conditions and tastes, and fuel octane levels are different in Eurpoe and the UK than they are here. Those markets may need S/C, which I would rather have myself. I have driven turboed Saab's and Volvo's with turbo and rated same hp as my various S/C Pontiacs and they don't have the instant on of S/C. Here the won't offer a choice, it will be one or the other. One option that has the potential to outdo any 205-210 Redline would be an aftermarket S/C on the stock 2.4.

·
Registered
328 Posts
BTW, if/when they produce the turbo, then will it require premium gas? :confused: I guess that I could research the current GM turbo ... but I was just throwing this question out. I will use what ever gas I need to, but I may just need to "pinch" some pennies in other areas. :cheers:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have never heard of a turbo that did not require premium. The compression ratios are too high for regular gas.

·
Registered
328 Posts
sky_vue said:
I have never heard of a turbo that did not require premium. The compression ratios are too high for regular gas.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have some much more extensive posts over on that solsticeforum thread about it, so I'll try and keep it a little more brief here.

Just don't go and assume this article is correct. The actual quote says that a Vauxhaul kappa will get an S/C motor. The author merely speculates the Sky and Sol will also get it. All other evidence is to the contrary at this point.

Most rumors have been pointing to a 2.4L based turbo. We've even seen pics of the turbo motor in a prototype.

Reports from the Sol at Nurburgring last month indicate it was probably a turbo. Those who saw it and took the pictures probably made that assumption based on it's engine sound (or lack of sound, such as no S/C whine). Power is still being reported in the 250 range based on the N-ring car, again probably calulated by the times it was posting around the ring.

Finally, GM is terrible at keeping secrets. If they were spending time developing the S/C for rear wheel drive use, it would likely have leaked long before some exectuve spoke of an S/C in a foreign market car (that itself we canhave some serious reason to doubt).

Also keep in mind that GM execs have been known to say some incorrect things from time to time also. Solsticeman in that thread dug up this quote as an example...

Automotive News said:
...Production of the Saturn Sky roadster, which shares its chassis with the Solstice, will begin later this summer, Reuss said.
n S/C, based on this one source.
I guess we know that one was not accurate at all!

I would simply take this one rumor with a grain of salt, unless we start to see a lot of different rumors and pieces of information from a lot of different sources (the press and otherwise, like GMIN) that support it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I have some much more extensive posts over on that solsticeforum thread about it, so I'll try and keep it a little more brief here.

Just don't go and assume this article is correct. The actual quote says that a Vauxhaul kappa will get an S/C motor. The author merely speculates the Sky and Sol will also get it. All other evidence is to the contrary at this point.

Most rumors have been pointing to a 2.4L based turbo. We've even seen pics of the turbo motor in a prototype.

Reports from the Sol at Nurburgring last month indicate it was probably a turbo. Those who saw it and took the pictures probably made that assumption based on it's engine sound (or lack of sound, such as no S/C whine). Power is still being reported in the 250 range based on the N-ring car, again probably calulated by the times it was posting around the ring.

Finally, GM is terrible at keeping secrets. If they were spending time developing the S/C for rear wheel drive use, it would likely have leaked long before some exectuve spoke of an S/C in a foreign market car (that itself we canhave some serious reason to doubt).

Also keep in mind that GM execs have been known to say some incorrect things from time to time also. Solsticeman in that thread dug up this quote as an example...

I guess we know that one was not accurate at all!

I would simply take this one rumor with a grain of salt, unless we start to see a lot of different rumors and pieces of information from a lot of different sources (the press and otherwise, like GMIN) that support it.
There is a MASSIVE thread on this over at GMIN, or as they call it GMI.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Lost Sol said:
BTW, if/when they produce the turbo, then will it require premium gas? :confused: I guess that I could research the current GM turbo ... but I was just throwing this question out. I will use what ever gas I need to, but I may just need to "pinch" some pennies in other areas. :cheers:
Almost all Turbocharged/Supercharged applications require 91+. There are some however that only recommend 91+, however that get a very significant power loss when using anything but 91+.

·
Registered
727 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
There is a MASSIVE thread on this over at GMIN, or as they call it GMI.
Thanks, I was reading it late last week. Some good arguments both ways over there.

I still stick to my assessment at this time that the turbo is still on. I have not been compelled by arguments to the contrary yet. :cheers:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fformula88 - Thanks... I was so shocked (because I had been following all the recent "Turbo" spy photos etc.) that I guess I overreacted! :willy:

AND PS - My first car was a Red 5spd 1988 Fiero GT. WHAT A HOOT! :D

·
Registered
623 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Thanks, I was reading it late last week. Some good arguments both ways over there.

I still stick to my assessment at this time that the turbo is still on. I have not been compelled by arguments to the contrary yet. :cheers:
I agree, a 2.4L Turbo sounds like the best bet.

·
Registered
328 Posts
brentil said:
Almost all Turbocharged/Supercharged applications require 91+. There are some however that only recommend 91+, however that get a very significant power loss when using anything but 91+.

·
Registered
727 Posts
KissTheSky said:
Fformula88 - Thanks... I was so shocked (because I had been following all the recent "Turbo" spy photos etc.) that I guess I overreacted! :willy:

AND PS - My first car was a Red 5spd 1988 Fiero GT. WHAT A HOOT! :D
Glad to see another Fiero owner around! :cheers: I love my Formula, although it is a little worse for wear these days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts