Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just about to fall asleep last night, and this question popped into my head...

will the sky have just one key, or will there be an ignition key and a door key?

·
Registered
78 Posts
How about a push button start
Just to keep you awake at night

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know we're going to have the keyless remotes, and i bet we wont have remote start, but i was just kinda curious about the keys themselves. i know GM has, in the past, done this both ways. sometimes, there will be a seperate key for ignition, and other times, the same key works for the locks and the ignition.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, from what i hear:

they originally began with one key for everything. fairly simple. one key with a few cuts for security.

well, people started complaining that when they left their car with a valet, there were items missing from their trunk. also, theives had managed to make a mold of the outside lock and presto, they have an ignition key as well.

so they went to two keys, 5 unique cuts on each key. this was good because now the ignition key was unique and making a mold of the door lock would not produce an ignition key duplicate. also, one was able to give the valet the ignition key and not need to worry about what was in the trunk.

then, the finicky public stepped in and started complaining about having to worry about two keys for every car, and locking keys in the car, so they went back to one key. but this time, the key had 10 cuts. five cuts were for the door lock and the other five were for the ignition. by having a ten cut key, a theif could not make a mold of the doorlock and use it in the ignition. the reason being: the mold of the door lock would only yield the 5 cuts needed for the doorlock. the cuts that were needed for the ignition were entirely different.

usually, when there is only one key required, the manufacturer will also include a valet key, which looks the same as the normal key, but it only has the five cuts necessary for ignition. so that key would not work the locks or the trunk.

i would have assumed that the sky would go with the one key, however, i wanted to get your opinions on that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd rather GM focus on dual exhaust tips... :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
airbalancer said:
How about a push button start
Just to keep you awake at night
Not like the new , is it Audi or Lexus, see their marketing ploy isn't working for me - I don't want to climb a glacier and cut through the ice each time I start the car. Or dangle on the end of a rope without setting off alarms. Another senseless round of hype. :banghead:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Or it could be like the new C6 Vette and not use any keys at all! You just carry the fob in your pocket and it will sense when you are near and unlock the door and then you just push the button to start the car. It works fairly well. There is a back up system too in case the battery in the fob dies or something. However I think Saturn will go with one key that works for everything and include an extra valet key.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gostraighter said:
Or it could be like the new C6 Vette and not use any keys at all! You just carry the fob in your pocket and it will sense when you are near and unlock the door and then you just push the button to start the car. It works fairly well. There is a back up system too in case the battery in the fob dies or something. However I think Saturn will go with one key that works for everything and include an extra valet key.
i knew infinity had those, i didnt know that GM had them now. booya! that would be so hot!

i wonder if they could make that an option.

·
Registered
78 Posts
swatthefly said:
i knew infinity had those, i didnt know that GM had them now. booya! that would be so hot!

i wonder if they could make that an option.
The new STS and XLR are like that

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if saturn doesnt offer this on the sky, i wonder how hard it would be to put one of these systems on myself.

i assume that i would need the necessary computer parts, i would need the actual start button, i would need the keyfob, and maybe a more specialized receiver.

the doorlocks would be easy to bypass, since i would need to do that anyways in order to shave the handles. the ignition, i guess a little fiberglass could make the column look nice and the pushbutten could really be put anywhere. and i know the car is already set up for an electronic start (such as a remote start), so there wont be any necessary modifications to that.

so aside from installing the parts, making it aesthetically pleasing, and making a few adjustments, it may be fairly easy to do!

i wonder how much the replacement parts would be for an XLR or Z06 or whatever.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow you make it sound so easy, you want to do mine next? I was just looking and shaving the door handles would make the car look a lot cleaner.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is when you remove the door handles and cover the area to make it look like nothing was ever there. A lot of custom cars have it, it gives it a cleaner look. You then have to use a remote operated solenoid to open the door (from the outisde). It isn't that terribly hard to do.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
but if you are going to do it... please, PLEASE....

...finish the project. i cant tell you how many honda civics etc that have the shaved doorhandles and all you see are patches of bondo.

bondo is not a paint job! do it right! :willy:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts