Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I get a 1 sec lag/hesitation when accelerating in 1st gear. Not sure if it happens often in 2nd gear. .......Not sure I have ever really noticed this before.
It's more pronounced in first gear for sure.

Is this normal?
No codes thrown.

- Old school turbo lag?
- Something fuel related?
- Plugs/electrical?
- clutch slipping (I may need a new clutch)?

Otherwise, the car runs like a boss!!

Thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've had the same problem on my '07 RedLine since purchased with 3,000 miles, some eleven years ago. It now has 24,000 miles. Mine is an automatic, but exhibits the one second lag as soon as I accelerate. I had it at the dealership twice. First they denied feeling it, then backed off when we took a second RedLine out. Their solution was to add a can of injector cleaner to the fuel tank. I've learned to live with it. Will be interested to see if anybody else has a solution.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get one of these to pull your error codes. They are invaluable.

My guess is an ignition coil though.
After some research, you may be right, ignition coil.....

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've had the same problem on my '07 RedLine since purchased with 3,000 miles, some eleven years ago. It now has 24,000 miles. Mine is an automatic, but exhibits the one second lag as soon as I accelerate. I had it at the dealership twice. First they denied feeling it, then backed off when we took a second RedLine out. Their solution was to add a can of injector cleaner to the fuel tank. I've learned to live with it. Will be interested to see if anybody else has a solution.
Did you ever figure this out? Same problem here, if I ease into the pedal it goes great, stomp and hesitates or coughs. Auto turbo 28k miles

·
Registered
73 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? Same problem here, if I ease into the pedal it goes great, stomp and hesitates or coughs. Auto turbo 28k miles
My hesitation was more evident at slow to moderate acceleration, but was intermittent. I'm a conservative driver, so never did find out if it happened if I stomped it. Anyway, it was still there until I traded it in back in August.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey all,

I get a 1 sec lag/hesitation when accelerating in 1st gear. Not sure if it happens often in 2nd gear. .......Not sure I have ever really noticed this before.

Is this normal?
No codes thrown.

- Old school turbo lag?
- Plugs/electrical?

Thoughts/suggestions?
It's most likely your solenoids. At times after an oil change if too much oil is put in the solenoids get damaged and cause the hesitation.
Change the oil with correct amount of quarts. Then replace both solenoids. Should fix the problem

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey all,

Is this normal?
No codes thrown.

- Old school turbo lag?
- Plugs/electrical?

Thoughts/suggestions?
Are you sure it's not just traction control taking over?

·
Super Moderator
5,900 Posts
It's most likely your solenoids. At times after an oil change if too much oil is put in the solenoids get damaged and cause the hesitation.
Change the oil with correct amount of quarts. Then replace both solenoids. Should fix the problem
This is the first time I have seen this suggested, and don't really know how it could happen.

A lot too much oil can cause foaming, and that may impair the operation of the solenoids along with bearings, lifters, and everything else, but I don't see how it could damage them. It also seems that any problem with the solenoids would show up as a DTC, since operation of the VVT system is monitored.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
To check the Kansas Bill theory push the traction button twice within 5 seconds this will put the car in competitive mode and will turn off the traction control while leaving abs stability etc on.If the hesitation is not there then your car is working as it should.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In the old days of carburettors an initial lag/stall/hesitation had us looking at the throttle activated fuel pump, to make sure there was enough fuel squirt there to overcome an initial weakening of the mixture when flooring it from stand still/idle. Is there such a thing in fuel injection scenarios ? Maybe the Trifecta tune has it and the standard tune does not ?

·
Super Moderator
11,282 Posts
In the old days of carburettors an initial lag/stall/hesitation had us looking at the throttle activated fuel pump, to make sure there was enough fuel squirt there to overcome an initial weakening of the mixture when flooring it from stand still/idle. Is there such a thing in fuel injection scenarios ? Maybe the Trifecta tune has it and the standard tune does not ?
There is and it usually is referred to as Power Enrichment. The ECM will command an extra amount of fuel for a short time when there is a rapid change in the throttle position.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts