Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any of you people that have taken delivery of your babys checked into lambo style doors for it. it would be a perfect fit for this baby. imagine pulling into a parking lot--everybody's watching you park. they all run over. then you push out and up to get out. my wife's long legs would be perfect. still waiting in canada. don't even have them at the dealer yet.:confused:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
That would probably help with the scuffing, that some have said occurs on the door panels when exiting the car.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I noticed yesterday that my neighbours' son has a Pontiac Sunbird with Lambo doors. Maybe after the warrenties are finished. Definitely a cool look. JMO

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I thought about it but I want to keep mine as origional as possible. Maybe I'll buy a second one in a few years and play with it. I can't wait for a diecast to be released so I can get a few to experiment with.

·
Registered
802 Posts
her sky said:
any of you people that have taken delivery of your babys checked into lambo style doors for it. it would be a perfect fit for this baby. imagine pulling into a parking lot--everybody's watching you park. they all run over. then you push out and up to get out. my wife's long legs would be perfect. still waiting in canada. don't even have them at the dealer yet.:confused:
One Question (her sky). How do I get your wife's long legs on my body?
Just been at my local dealer one week. Must have come pony express.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Lambo doors

I have thought about (but not seriously looked into) what it woudl take to convert my 1964 GTO to have Lambo doors.

I think Keonigsegg has actually improved on the concept a bit - not sure how easy/difficult/legal it would be to copy their design. http://www.koenigsegg.se/ (their new CCX is street legal in the US - of course the price tag is about $600,000 though they do have a few pre-ownded vehicles available)

Not sure where I saw it but I read or saw on TV that the newest Lambourghini will use normally hinged doors.

Does Lamborghini make comvertibles? Not sure I have ever seen that type of door on a convertible - you woudl have to consider both top up and top down operation of the doors.

·
Registered
43 Posts
to each their own. lambo doors are not my thing. but i can tell you the universal kits that are available aren't very well designed. the door hinge still pivots in and out while going up, unlike an actual lambo door that goes straight up.

the koenigegg doors are awesome, but probably too complex to implement on a car not designed for it. they open directly out and then rotate 90 degrees forward on the front hinge.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Maverick said:
What would some of the negatives be?
One being, to the best of my knowledge all aftermarket lambos are opened through the press of a button, i.e. you can get yourself locked out of your car if the battery dies.

Two, at first you think you're conserving space with the doors opening, but as soon as you pull into a parking garage with a low ceiling, or a typical garage, you realize you can't open that door the whole way. And if you can't open it the whole way, that means either you're going tocause damage to the door opening it, or you're going to have a HELL of atime getting out of that car (it's easier to get out of a door that opens horizontally a little bit, than a door that opens verticallly a little bit, to see what I mean try to find one in a car show that has one, and look at the door when only half open.

Three, I agree they're really cool looking, but to get one that looks good, and will stay workable for thousands of miles, and hundreds of opening and closing the doors, you'r egoing to be paying a LOT. There's a reason why most lambo doors are in showcars where the doors aren't opened and closed on a regular basis ;).

There's one or two I'm missing, trying to remember what they are offhand

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lil GTO, you are right when you say the new Lamborghini has normally hinged doors. The Gallardo (lower-end model, thought I wouldn't consider it that) does have normally hinged doors. However Lambo's top model, the Murcielago, has the "lambo doors" that everyone speaks of.

And yes Lamborghini does make convertibles, the Gallardo and Murcielago both come in roadster fashion. How the doors on the Murcielago work I don't know, but that top is nothing more than a piece of fabric and not a full convertible top so it still may use those "lambo doors."

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would never consider doing this personally but in the latest Car Craft magazine there is a company that just put out a direct bolt in conversion for 05 Mustangs, their website is listed as www.lsd-doors.com this may help if youre interested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts