Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was sitting around waiting for my Redline and I had this strange idea that fitting a set of slicks underneath that rear wheel well is going to be a trick. Has anyone put slicks and/or a larger width rim/tire combo on their Sky yet? Of course with slicks a smaller size rim would be used, optimally, but what's the smallest diameter rim you can fit over the rear brake?

The car looks good enough with the stock rims (I'm not asking if I can fit dubzzz :rolleyes: ) I'm interested purely in the performance gains at the track through the lower 60's or the ability to make my way around the autox track a bit quicker. Anyway I just thought I'd ask since this wait is killing me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm, I did some research on our sister forum and shockingly there are 16" rims that fit perfectly on the Solstice according to [email protected]. Assuming the rotors/calipers aren't larger on the Redline that will make going to the track much cheaper than anticipated. Now I just need one of those tiny trailers and a hitch for my car :lol: I hope they do end up finding a nice rim that will fit that is wider than stock as the stock tires are pretty narrow.

Borbet Type-FS
16x7 ET40 18.5lbs $159/wheel

Sport Edition D3
16x7 ET38 18.4lbs $93/wheel

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Inwo said:
The other day I was sitting around waiting for my Redline and I had this strange idea that fitting a set of slicks underneath that rear wheel well is going to be a trick. Has anyone put slicks and/or a larger width rim/tire combo on their Sky yet? Of course with slicks a smaller size rim would be used, optimally, but what's the smallest diameter rim you can fit over the rear brake?

The car looks good enough with the stock rims (I'm not asking if I can fit dubzzz :rolleyes: ) I'm interested purely in the performance gains at the track through the lower 60's or the ability to make my way around the autox track a bit quicker. Anyway I just thought I'd ask since this wait is killing me.
Why slicks? It's not a dragster. As Ricky said to Lucy, splane that to me.:D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GaryH said:
Why slicks? It's not a dragster. As Ricky said to Lucy, splane that to me.:D
Maybe not for you ;) I wanted a car that looked good as well as performed well so that's why I am picking up a Sky Redline instead of a Solstice GXP. Better 60' times mean better E/Ts means happier me :thumbs: I can't wait for my car to get here!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
As far as width goes, you can get up to 265's and a 9" rim on a stock sky without any problems, anything wider and you will need to adjust your suspension, off-set or whatever. Sadly I have found very few non-custom wide rims made for the sky/sol. Basically, to get the wheel you want (Say a 9" wide, 17" diameter with a 50mm off-set and 110 bolt pattern) you are looking a some big $$ for a custom shop like HRA to do it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
CCW (John Purner) built wheels for the motor trend corvette powered Solstice. I talked to John, they had 285's on the front and he said you could probably get 315's on the rear. John is the best wheel/tire man in the country. Anyone wanting to drag race and/or road race should talk to John.

I have been beating on four sets of his wheels for five years without a problem and this is on a car with 500 hp NA and 850 hp on the bottle, on the bottle it is over 1000 ft lbs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to give him a call! www.ccwheel.com is the company, correct? It looks like he makes some pretty nice wheels. I wish he listed the weights of the wheels on the page. I imagine it would be less than stock of course but the only question is how much. I hear the stock wheels weigh upwards of 28lbs.

Now where's the photoshop forum so I can request some different styles to be put on a white Sky? :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I second that on John Purner, his company makes some of the best wheels out there today. I have a set of 505As on my GTO with complete custom sizes, he had to make 2 sets and has always been top notch.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's one of the first "mods" that I want for my R/L. I nice light set of wide wheels and slicks for track nights. :thumbs:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts