Saturn Sky Forum banner

Late Summer Redline!!!???

3K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  deluke 
#1 ·
This is From Saturnfans.com

Turbo Rumors and Other SKY Tidbits
SaturnFans.com • February 20, 2006
Over the past week a variety of news and rumors have surfaced regarding production, launch plans, and availability of the 2007 Saturn SKY. These tidbits have not been officially confirmed by Saturn.

SKYs with manual transmissions are being built every day.
Automatic equipped SKYs are now being built in pre-production form.
All saleable SKYs that have been produced to date will be held in at GM's Wilmington, Delaware manufacturing plant until mid-March when the first batch of vehicles will be shipped to retail facilities around the United States. Sources tell SaturnFans.com that this is being done to ensure that all retailers receive at least one SKY at about the same time at launch.
Pilot builds for SKY Red Line turbo models will reportedly begin sometime in April. If testing of the pre-production models go as planned, regular production SKY Red Lines would be available for mid- to late-summer delivery.
Automotive News reported today that GM will spend $32 million in its Pontiac, Michigan metal stamping plant for innovative sheet hydro-forming equipment used to stamp much of the sheet metal for the Saturn SKY, Pontiac Solstice, and the future Opel roadster. According to the publication, "sheet hydro-forming uses water pressure to mold pieces of steel around dies to form structural components."
See photos of the SKY inside and around the Wilmington plant.

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't be overly suprised to see it sometime after the GXP, but I don't expect to see the GXP more till the end of the year. I'd expect ordering to start late summer maybe, but that might be too early for production.

#3 ·
brentil said:
I wouldn't be overly suprised to see it sometime after the GXP, but I don't expect to see the GXP more till the end of the year. I'd expect ordering to start late summer maybe, but that might be too early for production.
Agreed, the turbo version is going to need some serious testing after the pre-productions roll off the line. Maybe as early as November 2006 the first customers will get them, but I don't see it happeing any sooner than that.

#4 ·
Delnari said:
Agreed, the turbo version is going to need some serious testing after the pre-productions roll off the line.
Who here will offer to help test this thing. :thumbs: ME for one.

#6 ·
Didn't they announce the GXP woudl be available for ordering (not receiving) in Fall? I would assume the Redline, which has not offically been announced, would not be available until the GXP is available. I don't, however, feel that the redline will take that long in R&D because it is just a copy of the GXP. The only cosmetic changes are the dual exhaust and a redline badge on the rear. The only reported difference in the sky and solstice mechanically is in the handling. So the sky should be ready sooner then later, but I would think the sky redline would come out in the fall at the earliest with a late or mid summer ordering. Not that I wouldn't be extremely happy, but it wouldn't make sense unless the GXP has been bumped up to late summer as well. Then you have to ask yourself, why is the opel taking until spring of '08 to be ready?

#8 ·
I went to my Saturn dealer today to drive their demo Sky and asked the manager about the Redline. He told me that at this time he has no info regarding the Sky Redline. He also told me as soon as he gets any info onb ordering that I will be first on the list :D

#9 ·
I just spoke with our area Saturn Dealer and they are expecting a Redline in August 2006!
He actually told me he hopes the don't do the pre-orders anymore! That is has caused a great hardship on the dealership. Poor Baby.
If he has his way it'll be first come, first serve.
I can't say I'm crazy about this attitude, but at least there are 6 dealerships within 45-60 minutes from here.

Good news is that Solstice are sitting on the lots around here......so I can pick one of those up for MSRP today if I want. Funny thing....I ordered My custom tag two days ago... "SKY", so I guess I should wait and get a Redline in January.

B

#10 ·
bradsky said:
I ordered My custom tag two days ago... "SKY", so I guess I should wait and get a Redline in January.
I've ordered my personalized Sky plate too... just need the RL to go along with it! :D

As posted by someone on another forum today:
word from my dealer is that next week there will be a video link to all saturn dealers on the redline...hope it`s the green light and a whole lot of details.
we can only hope...

#11 ·
I just got a call today that they can order my SKY now, and I can have it in a month, or I could wait for the redline. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

#12 ·
drbob said:
I just got a call today that they can order my SKY now, and I can have it in a month, or I could wait for the redline. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
I vote you wait. You won't regret it. Either car can do the speed limit just fine, but the SRL does it just a little bit quicker!

#13 ·
I told them I'd rather wait for the redline.

#14 ·
Axel said:
As posted by someone on another forum today: "word from my dealer is that next week there will be a video link to all saturn dealers on the redline...hope it`s the green light and a whole lot of details."
we can only hope...
Yep... :thumbs: On May 12th we will have the official introduction from Saturn to all retailers on the SKY RedLine and on the AURA. I hope to have many details to report after this broadcast, if I'm allowed. :banghead:

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

#15 ·
Was told first AURA's would be delivered to dealers 24 July or there abouts. Sound right to you B.A. old buddy? Dealer images expected for AURA 3rd week of May.

BTW, doesn't the AURA resemble the SKY from the front? Like cousins maybe?

#16 ·
Nemesis said:
Didn't they announce the GXP woudl be available for ordering (not receiving) in Fall? I would assume the Redline, which has not offically been announced, would not be available until the GXP is available. I don't, however, feel that the redline will take that long in R&D because it is just a copy of the GXP. The only cosmetic changes are the dual exhaust and a redline badge on the rear. The only reported difference in the sky and solstice mechanically is in the handling. So the sky should be ready sooner then later, but I would think the sky redline would come out in the fall at the earliest with a late or mid summer ordering. Not that I wouldn't be extremely happy, but it wouldn't make sense unless the GXP has been bumped up to late summer as well. Then you have to ask yourself, why is the opel taking until spring of '08 to be ready?
They don't know when the production of the GXP will start. They said available in the fall, but that could mean November, thats still fall

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.