Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished talking with my local Saturn dealer. For reasons not needing explanation I trust the sales consultant I'm dealing with. I believe that he believes what he says. Anyway, he says that his word is that the Sky will be available to the dealers in January. Personally, I have been figuring March. But January works for me. Also, I'm #3 on the dealer's list. He also said that he would be receiving CD's for the customers this week and promised me one.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hey, Sky Dealer and Saturn Sales, any truth on the CD's coming in next week? If so, please put one outside the door next to port-a-potty for me. :)

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Delnari said:
Hey, Sky Dealer and Saturn Sales, any truth on the CD's coming in next week? If so, please put one outside the door next to port-a-potty for me. :)
Same here, no news on that yet... :banghead:

I'll scream as soon as I hear anything... :eek:

:willy: S.D. :willy:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Jan release date == rumor. Don't always believe what the dealers tell you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
if production begins in Jan. what are we looking as far as release? still april/may timeframe or is it possible that it will move up?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
skyster said:
if production begins in Jan. what are we looking as far as release? still april/may timeframe or is it possible that it will move up?
Saturn and GM both keep refering to "Spring 2006," which the calander shows that and various other media items have. Even if Saturn stated a delivery date today it's defintely not set in stone, and should not be considered as stone for everyones sanity.

Saturn Sales, as Kappaman and myself have tried to point out many times "production starts" could mean about 100 different things. Pre-production, non-saleable, saleable test but not to be sold, saleable, pre-production demos, etc, etc. What if some glitch is found in the hood and has to be redesigned in some way, or panels have bad fitment, or any 100 other items that could cause rumored dates to shift. We know GM is at least hand building Sky's right now, and with the current Solstice ramp up right now moving to making Sky's on the actual assembly line for testing I'm betting is not high priority while they work out current issues/line rate items/quality assurance/etc.

I know we all want to have hope about the cars date, but we're trying to inject reality into it so what happened at the Solstice forum doesn't happen here. Rumors are always more desirable to believe, but they're not realistic to believe.

Spring 2006 is the ONLY official info we have on this, so anything outside of that should be consumed with a lot of NaCl.

·
Registered
328 Posts
brentil said:
Saturn and GM both keep refering to "Spring 2006," ...
... and Sol's web site said Summer 05 for the longest time ... which is making me worry about "Spring 06". :D

Spring begins on 3/20/2006 and ends on 6/20/2006 in my planner, so I hope it is out by the end of April. :cheers: ( sounds like it could be done).

·
Registered
295 Posts
All good points, Brentil. It's easy to get frustrated when you don't know what is arriving when. Even at the facility level, we can only go by what is passed on to us. When I was still writing software, we had a saying. The customer may forgive you for a product being late, but they will NOT forgive you for a product being wrong. I would rather they work out the kinks with the Solstice and take a little more time dialing in the SKY. One funny story tho...when we were waiting for our first VUE (an Orange one no less!) we would all jump up everytime we heard a car carrier coming down the street. Everything we heard and read said it was a fall release. And a fall release it was! LOL the LAST day of fall, and it had just started to snow when the truck finally pulled in! I can laugh at it now, but it was the same when we were waiting for the first ION Quad Coupe, and especially the ION Red Line. You think we would be used to it by now. What helps me is to remember how exciting it is to be able to even offer a vehicle like the SKY! I get calls everyday about when will we have one, can we take deposits, etc. With all the news from the hurricanes, Iraq, slow car sales this month, etc...I am more than happy to peruse what SKY information I do have...and try to enjoy the anticipation instead of getting frustrated by it.
Cheers,
Jill

·
Registered
554 Posts
skyster said:

Here is a good rule of thumb. My Solstice was built on 8/5 and delivered on 8/22. So if orders are accepted and processed in January then you might just get a car by the end of the month if you are one of the first to get your order through. I would expect most, just like the Solstice, that cars would be delivered 2 months after being built.

·
Registered
52 Posts
im a little frustrated because i called the nearest dealer (im in ND) and he told me that they are not taking reserves. he said that if they get enough interest then yes they will but that puts me in the position that unless i check up on him every other day i mite miss the opportunity to get my sky simply because they didnt take my info. he says that he will keep me posted but im a little worried that if there is any possibility that i could get the sky earlier then thought that i mite actually loose out. sucky isnt it? i will definately be looking at getting to the dealer if there is even the slite chance that it will be earlier.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Move on to another dealer. Thats what I did.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Delnari said:
Here is a good rule of thumb. My Solstice was built on 8/5 and delivered on 8/22. So if orders are accepted and processed in January then you might just get a car by the end of the month if you are one of the first to get your order through. I would expect most, just like the Solstice, that cars would be delivered 2 months after being built.
My big worry about timelines is, will the Solstice production schedule be expanded which would delay the Sky production. The only promiss we have from Saturn at this point is "early 2006". Is June/July early 2006"?

·
Registered
52 Posts
there are only 2 saturn dealers in ND. one in fargo and one in bismark. SUPPOSEDLY they will be getting one in grand forks and if thats teh case then i will switch to the grand forks dealer. anyway, i guess ill just have to get on their nerves until i findout new info and when i can expect to see it in dealers.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Lost Sol said:
... and Sol's web site said Summer 05 for the longest time ... which is making me worry about "Spring 06". :D
True, but that was only for a short time frame of about a couple months. Before that since the begining of the Solstice project going live for production the time frame was "Fall 2005." It wasn't until rampant rumors started flowing about "Summer 2005" production dates started flying around that GM for some unknown reason moved the date forward. Now GM's getting reemed by the same people who flamed these rumors that ended up not coming true due to production issues. I see those same types of rumors starting to flow here of earlier then expected dates, based off of possible leaked information that is more then likely being interpreted incorrectly. Just because production might start in Jan does not mean those are cars being produced for sale. There were several hundred Solstices made that were deamed non-saleable prior to production cars being made. Those production issues were found and batch after batch of cars was made and reworked to solve these issues.

So ok, technicly GM met their deadline by delivering cars in August starting on Aug 1st, and moving them out at a slow rate. Sept 21st is the official end of Summer, so they made it in Summer. That didn't seem to matter one bit, people expected Summer to mean June and when that didn't come true people got pissed.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I really don't care when the normal one comes out. I just want to see a Redline release date and some official specs.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
I really don't care when the normal one comes out. I just want to see a Redline release date and some official specs.
More then likely NAIAS 2005 then. That's where they announced Solstice was going to production originally, where the official announcement for this year was made, and where the Sky was announced officially too.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Pontiac had Summer 2005 on their web site, until their recent update and yes they technically made the cutoff. Hopefully, the last 20-30 1st 1K Sol's will make it to their owners by the 21st! :D I would rather be here, than around a 1st 1K after the "end" of Summer, with out a Sol.

I do not need my car until next May, so I am not in a hurry. However, I do hope they start rolling out by April 2006.

This old Sol Poll sums up what people thought a while back ...

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2783&highlight=remember+poll

... maybe we should take a poll to have something to laugh about, when we start to loose our patience. :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts