Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went to pick up my SKY to go to NOPI... I saw a puddle underneath.

I am hoping it is not from my car... I actually don't think it is... are there any red fluids in the rear of the car??? Tranny stuff or brake fluids from the brake lines???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
The coolant is red.

Might be worth a look underneath. Put it up on a rack, and you'll see evidence of leaks immediately.

Sometimes coolant will leak down to a crack in one of the the side tanks (plenums) of the radiator, and then stop. Thus, when you later park, you'll be greeted by no more leak. Interestingly, if the crack is large enough, it can even prevent the extra coolant from being drawn in from the overflow bottle....

The design of the reservoir tank on the Kappa, however is a pressurized system, with a direct gravity hose down from the tank to the engine. Thus, if the coolant level is fine in the reservoir, then it's not coolant.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The coolant is red.

Might be worth a look underneath. Put it up on a rack, and you'll see evidence of leaks immediately.

Sometimes coolant will leak down to a crack in one of the the side tanks (plenums) of the radiator, and then stop. Thus, when you later park, you'll be greeted by no more leak. Interestingly, if the crack is large enough, it can even prevent the extra coolant from being drawn in from the overflow bottle....

The design of the reservoir tank on the Kappa, however is a pressurized system, with a direct gravity hose down from the tank to the engine. Thus, if the coolant level is fine in the reservoir, then it's not coolant.
Ah, K.... I will check the coolant in the AM. Since the puddle was in the back near the tranny, I am guessing it is not from my car... and was from another car parked in front of the retailer yesterday.

Thank you!!! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Ah, K.... I will check the coolant in the AM. Since the puddle was in the back near the tranny, I am guessing it is not from my car... and was from another car parked in front of the retailer yesterday.

Thank you!!! :thumbs:
Automatic transmission fluid can also be red....

Is yours an automatic? If so, see if you see any hanging drops of oil on the bottom plate of the transmission tunnel, or elsewhere on the rear part of the suspension or drive train...

Hmmm, now that I think about it, I think the original Saturn SL MANUAL transmission also used Dexron II which is also red....

Maybe you should take it to the dealership for an early oil change. While they have it up on the rack, you'll be able to see if there are any fluid leaks. It won't hurt to change the oil early, and the peace of mind will be well worth the extra $35 you'll spend on the oil change. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
A recently divorced friend of mine changed his transmission twice before he realized that the leak on his driveway didn’t come from his car…..

·
Registered
422 Posts
When I went to pick up my SKY to go to NOPI... I saw a puddle underneath.

I am hoping it is not from my car... I actually don't think it is... are there any red fluids in the rear of the car??? Tranny stuff or brake fluids from the brake lines???
If there is some fluid under your car, at first put some of the fluid between your fingertips: it's easy to to differ between an oil or a water fluid.

Water: cooling fluid or washing fluid for the windshield or condensed water from the A/C
Put a little bit on the tip of your tongue:

- the taste is sweet >>> cooling water
- it tastes of soap >> washing fluid
- no taste at all > condensed water from the A/C

Oil: engine oil, automatic transmission fluid (ATF) out of power steering or autotrans; gear oil from the manual tranny, hypoid oil from the diff which has a very charactristic smell (some of you know from their leaking diffs)

- engine oil normally more or less dark and smells a little burned.
- ATF normally red and very thin
- hypoid oil mostly dark and thicker then engine oil with a strong smell

A fluid not oil or water could be brake fluid (its an alcohol fluid).

Check engine compartment for level of

- engine oil
- cooling water
- washing fluid
- brake fluid
- ATF for power steering

It takes only two minutes and a piece of cloth and all is checked.

You can't check M/T, A/T, and diff on the street but if the gear boxes arn't totally broken there should always be enough rest of oil in them to have a short drive to the dealer or a repair shop.

Could be helpful for the "non technicians" to read the drivers manual and check if you find all the control points mentioned above :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Tasting car fluids means you REALLY love the car.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Tasting car fluids means you REALLY love the car.
You shouldn't drink the fluid - only a slight taste - and then you spit out all.
The only thing is you should be sure it is a car fluid, otherwise also neighbours dog could .... :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Missing Joy...

:nopity: Well, I took Joy in yesterday to have the ABS wheel sensor replaced. My wife called yesterday afternoon, and stated that she saw a small pink puddle on the garage floor. She stated that it was near the front end of where the car would be normally parked. I called the dealer and have asked them to look for leaks toward the front of the vehicle and described the color as best I could, given my wife's description. My first thought was that it was automatic transmission fluid. When I got home and viewed the puddle myself, the small puddle seems to be salmon like in color; maybe a shade or two darker. I'm not sure what this is.. The leaks that I seen posted on this forum has been primarily towards the rear, haven't they? Anyone have any ideas.. I've been without Joy two days now, and I'm missing her, :willy: but at the same time, I want her to get better.. :D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke to the tech that worked on my car... he said the puddle was there when he parked the car... was from a different car. Whew... :thumbs:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts