Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some will recall, there was an early number of Sky's and Solstii that developed leaks from their differentials and it was supposedly just a real early batch. Unfortunately for me (VIN#3535) I noticed a puddle under my car this past weekend. I took it in today and they are ordering parts. I will post what they replace once I get my car back.

I'm bringing this up again just to remind everyone to keep an eye out for leaks und the back end of their cars. Saturn will fix it, but you want to catch it as early as possible.

One really cool thing about the new GM 100K warranty is that they provide a rental car, for free, for anyone who has a maintenance problem that causes their car to have a sleepover at the dealership.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Just curious...what was the mileage on your car when the leak started?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just turned 3000 miles this past week.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I just turned 3000 miles this past week.
Thanks. I'm not quite there yet (1880 miles)...but I'm bracing myself for this problem, as I know it will most likely happen at some point...eventually. :willy:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
That is about when mine leaked. But so far, since they replaced a seal, not a problem. I am taking it in for an oil change and they'll check again to be sure. I think this would be covered by the drive train warranty for awhile, so I feel better. BUt it is good to pay attention. I noticed a smell and a haze on my rear bumper before I saw the leak and then I looked underneath and saw the goopiness. It had half leaked out...coulda been an issue.

·
Registered
669 Posts
My leak started about 4000 miles. Had the seals replaced...now up to 5000 and no new leak so far.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My car developed a leak at about 3,900 miles. I just got the complete carrier assembly replaced and it hasn't leaked again yet. Also, the annoying whining noice that you can hear around 50mph is also gone! It will be interesting to see if it redevelops after another 3 - 4,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
My understanding is that this is only a LSD problem, so far on my "regular" rear end--no leaks (yet), no whine, also have auto tranny, also there was a thread or 2 here and at the SOL forum about using different rear end oil (AMSOIL) special LSD type oils which really helped according to the guys who switched there oil--

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I still think changing the oil out and using AMSoil server gear will stop this I have 3000 plus ... so far no problems and the small whine I had is gone too..Seal9:cheers

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got my Sky back tonight after three days at the dealer. They replaced the pinion seal and fluids. No leak so far. I think he said my car already had the metal vent tube. The total bill for the job was only $222...that bill was picked up by my friends, Mr. & Mrs. Saturn.

The car was washed and the dealer provided a rental Dodge 1500 4-door pickup while my Sky was in the shop just to make me really appreciate my car when I got it back!

By the way, my car had just under 3200 miles on it when I noticed the leak.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, it is a limited slip diffy.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thanks. I'm not quite there yet (1880 miles)...but I'm bracing myself for this problem, as I know it will most likely happen at some point...eventually. :willy:
Sigh... think I'm having that problem now. My boyfriend just noticed a puddle on the floor coming from the rear of the car. I'm taking it in next week. Started at around 3000 mi. Sob, sob, :banghead:
Theresa

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Sigh... think I'm having that problem now. My boyfriend just noticed a puddle on the floor coming from the rear of the car. I'm taking it in next week. Started at around 3000 mi. Sob, sob, :banghead:
Theresa
Have a look at where you see your next puddle in relation to the diff.
Is it from the front of the diff or the rear?
If from the front, probable pinion seal.
If from the back, possible relief valve. Plastic relief valves get fixed with new metal one. Metal relief valves mean new rear end per 9/1/06 bulletin.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is a painless fix especially because they will provide you with a loaner car while yours is in the shop. But it's hard to drive just about anything else!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thank You

Have a look at where you see your next puddle in relation to the diff.
Is it from the front of the diff or the rear?
If from the front, probable pinion seal.
If from the back, possible relief valve. Plastic relief valves get fixed with new metal one. Metal relief valves mean new rear end per 9/1/06 bulletin.
Thank you cerberus, I'll show this to Louie. I'm taking my car in tomorrow, Tuesday, 9/26/06. I hope they don't have to keep my car? Nothing will make me happier to drive then my SKY :confused:
Theresa

·
Registered
5 Posts
do yourself a favor...my car has been lifted numerous times due to these oil leaks and i now have cracks on both rocker panels. Dealer is denying they could have done it...please check and let me know
cathy
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
do yourself a favor...my car has been lifted numerous times due to these oil leaks and i now have cracks on both rocker panels. Dealer is denying they could have done it...please check and let me know
cathy
[email protected]
We get the idea.

My car has been lifted 6 times all is well

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
VIN 1745, 11,000 miles and no leak. But I have the whine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts