Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have the stock chrome rims on and find yourself slowly leaking air you might want to have the tire pulled off the rim and have the rim inspected. For several weeks now, my front right tire has been ever so slowly leaking air so I finally took it in today. Nothing wrong was found with the tire or the value stem so they pulled the tire off the rim and found a lot of bubbling corrosion on the rims inside lip. I was told this is a common problem on stock aluminum wheels that have been chromed and that my other three wheels probably had the same corrosion and would probably leak. They cleaned the rim up and applied a sealer to the lip but this is only temporary fix. Needless to say I'll be replacing my wheels. With that said, what wheel looks good on a black car?.... and please don't say black.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've had the exact problem.

For the past year, one wheel has had @ a 1.5 psi / day leak. The good folks at discount tire said that the chrome was peeling off of the inside and maybe causing the leak. (I haven't ever seen the problem area myself.)

I've finally gotten tired of refilling that tire every 3 days and am looking for a solution.

Anyone know of a good fix for the peeling chrome issue?

OR a source for reasonably priced wheels? (I have the chromed wheels and the local GM wanted $600+ to order one.)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Get the wheels powder coated. A local shop here does them for $75 a wheel or $300 for a set of four.

At today's exchange rates that about $22.96 USD. :banghead:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Isn't that exchange rate change crazy? (Now maybe I can afford that Jasper or Yukon Terr. vacation!)
Yeah it's crazy alright! It was a lot easier for us when the money was at par.

We as Canadians would like to welcome all you US travelers to Canada this year. :cheers:

:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
I kind of like my chrome wheels, but if I can't fix the one, I might look into the power coating. Wonder if I could get them done in the car's Bluestone color....

After some more internet research, this seems to be a common problem for chromed wheels.

I put in a few calls to local wheel repair businesses. I'll post if I have any success!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Yeah it's a problem with chrome and pretty much aluminum wheels of any type. You could probably match the Bluestone if you can find the right powder.

There are a ton of powder manufacturers.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Same issue on my right rear tire/rim. Just so happens I have four new rims and tires on order so I guess that will take care of it. I have a white sky so I'm going with black satin rims. Should have them in a few weeks

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Just to be Clear?

:skep: This issue is ONLY for chromed wheels and not an issue with the Polished Aluminum that came stock on the Kappa's? This would be option Code: QF8 when we ordered the cars. I guess going the cheaper route way back in 07 will cause less stress now, and less wear on the old wallet. :D The only issue I have is the low profile tires lose air when it gets cold and magically gain air when it gets very hot, seems like I am continually adjusting the air pressure, wearing out the plastic caps on the valve stem. Yes I only check the air pressure while it's sitting when the tires are not hot from driving. No issues on my Polished Aluminum rims so far! :cool:

TulsaSky
:jester:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Yeah, so far...

Unfortunately, over time all aluminum rims, either polished or chromed will lose air. Had lots of cars over the years that had this issue.

It's not a matter of if they will leak, it's a matter of when, unless it's a fair whether car and doesn't see the winters.

·
Registered
927 Posts
My Sky has chrome wheels and never sees snow or inclement weather, and yet the chrome is peeling on the inside lip of the rims. I have had the local tire shop refinish the inside of some of the wheels by sanding down the loose chrome and applying a sealant, and so far they are alright.

My Saab has painted aluminum wheels and it also loses a lot of air and has corrosion inside of the lip of the wheels. I did some work on them myself with a grinding wheel and didn't bother with painting or sealing them, and so far they have been alright.

As was said above, it is inevitable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've taken the wheel to Discount Tire several times (I've got $1,400 worth of tires from Discount on those wheels), but I've got either a busy or a bad location... they keep telling me there is no way to repair peeling chrome, and I need to buy new wheels.

I've got an appointment with a local tire repair shop for next week, they quoted $75/wheel. I'll report back.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I heard you can sand blast the bead and you be fine.

·
Registered
742 Posts
We as Canadians would like to welcome all you US travelers to Canada this year. :cheers: :D
So true it hurts.......

Terry

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a local wheel repair shop fix the peeling chrome that was causing a bad bead seal. I'm not sure if they just buffed out the spot or sand blasted it... but it is fixed and back to be perfect again.

Ran about $75 and took @ 20 minutes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts