Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I know this may not be a question anyone can answer, but I thought I give it a shot.

I have ordered my new Sky and I got a manual transmission (because the automatic doesn't do the car justice). My question is how hard is it to learn the manual transmission? I have never driven one before. Will it be ok if I learn on the Sky?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I had only seldomly driven manual transmission before getting my Sky and I was pretty rough at that. I stalled once the first trip at the dealership (out to get gas) and then only once more thereafter.

The Sky is pretty forgiving compared to my mom's Cobra but a bit more touchy then the other sticks I have driven (BMW, Civic, and Jetta) and as you get more used to the clutch you can really make the Sky glide down the road between gears or push the envelope (course you should wait the 500 break in miles for that).

·
Registered
104 Posts
I taught myself to drive stick in an old crappy Renault. I suggest when you pick the car up take someone who drives manual and have them take it off the lot and drive you to a nice open parking lot.

Once you get there practice practice practice starting from stop and getting into first gear smoothly. Once you can do that practice going from stop to first to second and back to stop with a downshift. Once you get smooth at that go find a shallow hill with NO traffic, preferably a parking lot on a hill and practice starting from a stop on a hill. Once you can easily start from a stop on a hill the rest is a breeze. I suggest feathering the clutch while on a hill till you get a feel for how much gas you need to go without stalling or shooting off like a rocket. First gear is the only hard gear to learn the rest are easy. Hills are the only hard thing to get used to in a manual, especially when someone stops inches from your bumper on a hill. So you want to spend a lot of time practicing on a hill. Once you get the hang of it, you wont even think about shifting. It will become second nature. Don't give up when it is hard at first. I have taught numerous other friends to drive stick. It is scary and hard at first but after a few times out of dedicated practice you will be driving well.

·
Registered
314 Posts
bizzsky said:
the automatic doesn't do the car justice
Different strokes. I've had plenty of manual transmissions and have no qualms about getting automatic SKY. I don't see this as a compromise, either. I'm sure you'll enjoy your manual, too.

·
Registered
802 Posts
You can still remain shiftless!

SkyHope said:
Different strokes. I've had plenty of manual transmissions and have no qualms about getting automatic SKY. I don't see this as a compromise, either. I'm sure you'll enjoy your manual, too.
Here! Here! No qualms either, no problems on curves either. Seems this baby knows when to shift on her own for the most part. Next time you test drive an automatic push the pedal down about 1/2 way and don't move it. It will shift at the right points faster and more accurately than most stick shift affectionados can. Of course you could push it all the way down but the sound of the sirens coming from the rear are a little distasteful. I'm not afraid of stick shifts, drove them for years and still do. But who knows whether you have one or not? (Just pretend that you are shifting) You can still remain shiftless!

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I highly recommend you find someone with an old manual that will help you learn to drive a manual. Either that, of buy a cheap old clunker with a manual and learn on that. I learned to drive on a manual, and would not recommend learning how on a new car. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I test drove an automatic and it SUCKED!!! I floored it and heard the engine rev nice and loud, but no power. The automatic accelerated very slowly and I wouldn't dare pulling out in traffic with it. So I do understand why you're not getting an automatic.

If you don't know how to drive a stick and you purchased a manual xmission Sky, the best thing you can do is just give it to me before you wreck the damn thing. :lol: But seriously, all you have to do is give it to me. No? Fine. Go ahead and learn how to drive in your Sky. Just have someone that knows how to drive a stick with you.

Keep this in mind. It's all about the position of the clutch. The most difficult part for most people is the take-off. As you raise your foot off of the clutch, you'll feel the point where the car begins to move. Once you've reached this point, hold the clutch in that position until your car picked up a bit of momentum. Then you can completely remove your foot from the clutch until you're ready to shift gears again. Test yourself a few times on a level road, then try a slight hill, then drive the car over to my house and give it to me.

But until then, happy test driving. :cool:

·
Registered
802 Posts
mista_phi said:
I test drove an automatic and it SUCKED!!! I floored it and heard the engine rev nice and loud, but no power. The automatic accelerated very slowly and I wouldn't dare pulling out in traffic with it. So I do understand why you're not getting an automatic............... Test yourself a few times on a level road, then try a slight hill, then drive the car over to my house and give it to me.
But until then, happy test driving. :cool:
It appears that your parking brake must have been on or there was something very, very wrong with that engine. I like this, "then drive the car over to my house and give it to me."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mista_phi said:
I floored it and heard the engine rev nice and loud, but no power. The automatic accelerated very slowly and I wouldn't dare pulling out in traffic with it.
I felt the same way when I test drove an automatic. I read some reviews that said if you want some acceleration then I should get a manual...so I did.

Mista_Phi - I would rather have the car sit in my driveway for the rest of eternity before I give it away. Thanks for the clutch advice, hopefully I won't screw up the transmission while i'm learning on it...

·
Registered
802 Posts
bizzsky said:
I felt the same way when I test drove an automatic. I read some reviews that said if you want some acceleration then I should get a manual...so I did.

Mista_Phi - I would rather have the car sit in my driveway for the rest of eternity before I give it away. Thanks for the clutch advice, hopefully I won't screw up the transmission while i'm learning on it...
Looked at your options..I see you ordered the Tonneau Cover..Good luck
I tried it. I found that it takes two people to put it on and even taking it off is a bear. It only zips on the drivers side, so forget having any passengers with you when it is on. They also have to drill four holes in the body (painted area) for snaps. I was lucky enough to have some of the proper screws to put in the holes and the right shade of touchup paint to put on them. If your dealer is going to install it for you, you might have them examine the instructions before doing it. There has got to be an easier way to keep out the bird poop!
One other thing, the seats have to be all the way back for the Tonneau Cover to fit them.
I must say that the Tonneau Cover looks great installed, just impractical.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I always drove manuals up until recently. My 06 Carrera S has a Tiptronic system so my wife who can't drive a manual can drive it. But that car has 355hp and does 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. Even then I sometimes notice lag in the shifts even in sport mode and using the button shifters on the steering wheel. Upshifts are not as bad, but downshift and rapid pace changes can quickly trick the system into being too slow.

My wife has an 06 Lexus IS 350 with paddle shifters. I actually prefer these to the Porsche buttons. Her car has 306hp and the shift are much smoother than the racy Porsche, but it is also very easy to full her system as well.

The best "manumatic" I have driven is Audi's. It has dual clutches for super smooth and quick shifts. Upshifts are just about perfect but it can still be easily fooled with downshift and quick changes.

I don't think the Sky has enough engine for me to enjoy an auto. With smaller engine cars like my old WRX (It had 220hp) It is more fun to wring them out, something an auto wont let you do. I think the redline will be much better for autos, and I would have considered an auto on my standard Sky if they gave you paddle shifters or something on the manual and let you rev it to redline in sport mode.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
krazygoat said:
I would have considered an auto on my standard Sky if they gave you paddle shifters or something on the manual and let you rev it to redline in sport mode.
I totally agree, there should have been a steptronic system then I would have been ok.

BMW has one of the best steptronic systems. I also have a 330xi and it lets me redline the car, which the Lexus IS doesn't let you do...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
eldeeko said:
Looked at your options..I see you ordered the Tonneau Cover..Good luck
I tried it. I found that it takes two people to put it on and even taking it off is a bear. It only zips on the drivers side, so forget having any passengers with you when it is on. They also have to drill four holes in the body (painted area) for snaps. I was lucky enough to have some of the proper screws to put in the holes and the right shade of touchup paint to put on them. If your dealer is going to install it for you, you might have them examine the instructions before doing it. There has got to be an easier way to keep out the bird poop!
One other thing, the seats have to be all the way back for the Tonneau Cover to fit them.
I must say that the Tonneau Cover looks great installed, just impractical.
Hmmmm, maybe I won't get it...since it is an accessory and not an option. None of my accessory have been paid for yet...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts