Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2007 base has a leather wrapped steering wheel and 5-speed manual gear shift knob. Both are messed up badly, I think from a dog. I'd like to replace them. Is there a reliable used part source for these two items?

I could also use a nice...
- inside mirror with the 3 button OnStar
- owners manual kit
- tire repair kit
- floor mats
- parts of or an entire silver tulip

·
Registered
926 Posts
All of those things can come from GMPartsDirect.com or a dealer parts counter. You might consider upgrading to a Corvette Grand Sport steering wheel, I think I paid $200 for mine a few years ago. You will need to either set the cruise control permanently "on" or cut a hole for the button. For the knob, you should definitely consider the DDMWorks short throw linkage and polished knob, it's a huge upgrade from stock.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the parts you need. Direct Message me for specifics

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Concerning the round silver Saturn medallion on the steering wheel horn pad with airbag, I cannot find a replacement. Mine appears to have water damage. I assume some time ago, the top was accidentally left down during a rain storm.

My 3 button OnStar rear view mirror, the reflective material is water-damage too. I'd like to replace either the entire assembly or just the mirror itself if that is at all possible.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Concerning the round silver Saturn medallion on the steering wheel horn pad with airbag, I cannot find a replacement. Mine appears to have water damage. I assume some time ago, the top was accidentally left down during a rain storm.

My 3 button OnStar rear view mirror, the reflective material is water-damage too. I'd like to replace either the entire assembly or just the mirror itself if that is at all possible.
As I understand, the center medallion of the air bag is not meant to be replaced. You are supposed to buy a whole new air bag.

As far as the mirror, that is probably heat damage from the lights over water damage.

Here is the best way, imho, to fix it: https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2/rearview-mirror-delaminating-30-fix-94151/

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have a mirror but shipping would be cost prohibitive from Canada. It could well have been damaged by someone using WAY loo much window cleaner on in and damaging the silvering on the back of the mirror. I've seen that on a few cars.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks Amorget,

I am going to give it a try. I will also replace the incandescent light bulbs with bright cool-white cool-operating LEDs for extra light and also hoping to prevent the damage from happening again.
I did the exact same thing. Just to note, the leds might stay on even when the car is off but very very dim. That is ok, it's not drawing any extra power.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Back to my leather-wrapped steering wheel, I got a quote from a local source. They will repair the leather for $250-$300 which sounds like highway robbery. I will be looking into another service to re-wrap the wheel with new leather.

Is there an easy 1-2-3 step method to removing the steering wheel......safely? The air bag concerns me. I never messed with a steering wheel equipped with an air bag before.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2007 base has a leather wrapped steering wheel and 5-speed manual gear shift knob. Both are messed up badly, I think from a dog. I'd like to replace them. Is there a reliable used part source for these two items?

I could also use a nice...
  • inside mirror with the 3 button OnStar
  • owners manual kit
  • tire repair kit
  • floor mats
  • parts of or an entire silver tulip
I have a source for floormats, if you are interested.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
That seems more than a bit steep to me to recover a wheel. The wheel you see below is a stock Sky steering wheel modified to be D shaped with carbon fiber and new leather on the sides. $575 for all that.

Removing the wheel isn't hard other than removing the airbag. That's just tricky, not hard. There is a small hole on each side of the trim on the back side of the steering wheel. You put a long metal tool...like a very small screwdriver...and push in on a little bar inside the wheel while pulling on the top of the airbag. You do one side at a time. The trick is getting the screwdriver on the bar. Once you do it a couple times it's very simple but that first time is tricky to know when you've got it. Look up how to remove a Cobalt steering wheel on YouTube...it's the same wheel.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is the main portion of the Sky steering wheel interchangeable with other GM vehicles? It would be great to buy a perfect condition leather-wrapped one of another GM model, then swap the air bag and maybe even the steering wheel switches.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Is the main portion of the Sky steering wheel interchangeable with other GM vehicles? It would be great to buy a perfect condition leather-wrapped one of another GM model, then swap the air bag and maybe even the steering wheel switches.
Yes: Cobalt, G6, some Corvettes. They used it a lot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts