Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
If I am just running in to grab something or not away too long I will leave it down. 8 hours at work I put mine up.

Reactions: idle-mind

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Many believe the top develops wrinkles if not 'up' a lot or majority of the time. :willy: We have no problem with the way the top looks when we do put it up, nor do we see an abnormal amount of any wrinkles to the top's rear corners.

Our top is in the trunk unless we are on the road driving long distances. Otherwise, it is in the trunk and padded from any trunk lid wear (by the trunk lid bumpers of each side of the lid).
:cheers:

·
Registered
742 Posts
I pretty much always leave it down, but use my cockpit cover.
John

Did you have to install snaps to the car and if so was it difficult? Just curious......

Terry

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
A bit on how I protect the top from the lid rubber bumpers on each side of the trunk lid ....... it has been known that the fixed-rubber bumpers of the lid hold-down's (first photo below) can wear a hole in the top.

My solution to the problem is a plastic Folgers coffee can lid as shown in the 2nd and 3rd photos below. The felt-tail keeps the lid from sliding off the top. Not an expensive solution ....... :lol:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Mostly up because I'm usually going to leave it somewhere for a while and don't want a bunch of stuff falling in the interior. (And I don't have a cover for that...and believe putting on such a cover is even more of a hassle as putting up the top).

If I'm on a run, I'll leave the top down if it is already down. If I'm around town and run in someplace where I can see/hear the car, I'll leave it down with the windows up. I have an alarm installed with a proximity sensor so if someone reaches in the car when it's on, the alarm will go off even if they don't touch the car.

·
Super Moderator
5,743 Posts
John

Did you have to install snaps to the car and if so was it difficult? Just curious......

Terry
Hi Terry. Yes, there are snaps in three places:
1) Four across the front of the trunk. These are screwed into the existing holes, and are where the GM tonneau cover attaches.
2) Three across the base of the windshield. These are riveted to aluminum discs that are then attached using body molding tape.
3) One under each mirror, also on aluminum discs and also attached with tape.
I can ake some detailed pictures if anyone is interested.
A bit on how I protect the top from the lid rubber bumpers on each side of the trunk lid ....... it has been known that the fixed-rubber bumpers of the lid hold-down's (first photo below) can wear a hole in the top.

My solution to the problem is a plastic Folgers coffee can lid as shown in the 2nd and 3rd photos below. The felt-tail keeps the lid from sliding off the top. Not an expensive solution ....... :lol:
The best solution in my opinion is just to take the stupid things off. They serve no purpose.
........and believe putting on such a cover is even more of a hassle as putting up the top.......
The cover takes about half as long as the top, up or down, even less if the passenger knows what is going on. I also like that the cover keeps the sun off of the interior for less fading and less excessive seat heating.

My main concession to leaving the top down is to lock the doors to arm the alarm, and the interior trunk release has been altered to not function with the doors locked.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The best solution in my opinion is just to take the stupid things off. They serve no purpose.
John, I don't disagree about taking them off. Except, why were they deemed necessary in the beginning? As to that reason, there must have been some idea why in the beginning. :willy:

And so as to an ORIGINAL CAR idea, I've kept it that way. But I see the bumpers as holding the top secure from movement as about the only technical reason.

·
Super Moderator
5,743 Posts
The Kappabrella does not require snaps. The back closes in the trunk and the front hooks around the wipers.
I went with snaps when I made the cover because I wanted a more fitted look than the Kappabrella. They also keep it in a good position in the trunk so that it is quicker and easier to put on and take off.
John, I don't disagree about taking them off. Except, why were they deemed necessary in the beginning? As to that reason, there must have been some idea why in the beginning. :willy:

And so as to an ORIGINAL CAR idea, I've kept it that way. But I see the bumpers as holding the top secure from movement as about the only technical reason.
I believe that they were intended to provide leverage when closing the trunk over the folded top, but I have found that simply leaning on the rear corners of the top when I fold it down for the first time takes care of that problem nicely. As far as preventing movement, I don't see that as an issue because my NA has about 90k miles on it without the bumpers and I see no evidence of anything moving wearing or anything else. I do leave the cockpit cover attached to the outer snaps when the top is down, so it acts as a cover for the top to keep it away from the underliner of the trunk lid.

I still have mine, so if originality is ever an issue I can reinstall them. meanwhile I am keeping my top original and un-holed for very little effort.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Wondering how many people leave their top down when shopping or at work?
My wife works from home, I have strongly encouraged her to leave her top down at work. I would be ok when shopping also but couldn't she go to jail for that?

Reactions: mstrjon32

·
Super Moderator
5,743 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wondering how many people leave their top down when shopping or at work?
Mostly I leave the top down as I generally don't drive it in cold or wet weather. At work I will put the top up - work at a university so don't want kids throwing crap in the car. In the garage it is usually down but I will put it up to stretch it out if it has been a few days since it was up. I can see compression marks on the material from the rubber bumpers of the trunk lid. I thought the bumpers we to push the top down and keep it from snagging on the underside of the trunk lid.

I would think the extra cover would be more hassle than its worth so haven't looked into it and not a look I like.

As for going topless in Canada - hasn't really caught on like some had hoped...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts