Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Per the great advise given here, I installed LED floor lighting that works when opening the doors and also with a control switch that I mounted below the radio as shown. It turned out exceptionally nice.

My power window controls and my original power mirror control, the light bulbs in two of the three were burnt out and the one was poorly lit. I took them apart to learn the bulbs have condoms over them like the instrument panel, only these are green, not yellow. Since I had extra 12V LEDs purchased for the floor lighting and my three climate control dials, I decided to install them in the power mirror and window switches. I like the matching results.

Here is my interior lighting now. Note the power window and power mirror controls. The dual window control in the driver door is not as bright because of the internal light-pipe design. This is surely better than burnt-out bulbs. The LEDs will outlast the car now.

Here is the driver-side power window switch disassembled, Note the green condom that I removed. The 12V LED soldered right in where the bad bulb is seen here.

Here is the passenger power window switch with the same green condom. The LED soldered in exceptionally easy on this one.

Here is the power mirror switch. This required a lot more skill to make work. It involved drilling a hole in the back-side connector to access the solder joint. This picture shows the LED already installed. Note the green condom in the center of the touch-pad.

I simply cut off the portion that covers over the LED.

If you have good working regular light bulbs but want more light, just remove the green condoms. I wouldn't take the doors apart for this alone, but if they are coming off for other reasons, it's a good time to consider this simple modification.

It is also a good time to file bigger, the oval hole in the gloss black plate for your power mirror selector so it works as it should, not requiring you to press it down while adjusting a mirror.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like it! Your car turned out great, the white lighting definitely gives it a modern GM appearance. You may have posted it elsewhere, but how did you setup the footwell lights?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You may have posted it elsewhere, but how did you setup the footwell lights?
A previous owner installed foot well lighting, but it involved a relay with wires everywhere and the passenger side not working for some reason. The driver-side worked but did not fade away like the center mirror lights. They also installed a control switch like I have now, but located it in a hidden place, difficult to access when driving and not accessible for the passenger.

JohnWR shared an alternative method that is much easier and with better results. My wiring became clean, simple, reliable, and the foot well lights fade with the center mirror lighting. The key is tapping into the center mirror ground connection.

If you also want to turn on your lights on-demand, you'll need an on/on 3-pole switch. On in one position, the foot well lights work with the center mirror, and fade off as well. On in the other position, the foot well lights turn on, on-demand. This is nice for the passenger when driving. You might also appreciate the lights on for mood lighting.

Center foot well wiring requires 3 different electrical connections
  • 12V power
  • chassis ground
  • center mirror ground (called "Negative Control").
12V power and center mirror ground is tapped in at the passenger foot well fuse panel as shown.

Tapping in for 12V power, I bought THIS TYPE of fuse tap which is very reliable and worked perfectly. I bought the 25 amp version and switched the 25 amp fuse for a 10 amp. I used the 25 amp fuse on a different project.

Tapping chassis ground was close to the control switch to avoid excessive wiring.

Here is how I installed the control switch.

I am selling the unit with the traction control button locally HERE on the Chicago area craigslist. It comes fully loaded including the mating cable in-case you don't require traction control, and want to use that button to control your radar detector, a second trunk release, or something else.

I have seen others use a very nice LED light fixture for the floor lighting. But mine were already there from the previous owner. He used very dark "mystic blue" LEDs. I bought new 12V LEDs that match the ones I installed inside the center mirror. I bought them HERE ON EBAY. I debated adding a 3rd LED per fixture but decided against it. I think it turned out good with just two per side. It offers enough light to see, but is not over-bearing.

As far as how to wire up everything, I don't have a schematic to share. But as I recall, the wiring at the control switch located below the radio, controls which ground to use, one to work with the mirror lights, chassis ground for lighting on-demand. 12V power goes from the fuse panel to the LEDs and ends there. LED ground goes to the center pin of the control switch.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks @rjgramps, that's what I would call a high quality response! I really like this set up a lot and think it adds a nice touch and looks like a clean install too. I don't think I would be interested in turning the footwell lamps on and off independently though. Just tapping them into the mirror map lights circuit would serve the purpose I was looking at. I had contemplated using an LED ground effect kit, but really wanted them to come on and fade off with the egress lighting from the mirror. This setup seems simple enough that I may have to add this to my "to do list". Thanks again, I appreciate your detailed posts!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are very welcome Steve. I am finally able to contribute something to this forum rather than being a high absorbency sponge.

Without the extra on-demand switch, the installation becomes easier yet. You can always add that switch another time if you later change your mind.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After our first ride in the dark, my wife "loves" the floor lighting. She liked it on all the time for mood lighting. We do have black carpet. It might be a bit much with a lighter colored carpet.

During our ride, we both agreed I have one more lighting project. Adding one more LED inside the glove box. I will be wiring it into the floor lighting circuit to keep it simple.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Cant tell from the picture, but did you also do your AC controls? Its really easy and looks so much better.
I redid my entire cars interior with purple LED's

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I also installed the same LEDs in the 3 dial climate control unit. In my case it was out of necessity. The 3 original incandescent bulbs were burnt out. As you can see, the dials don't glow the same color as the LED does in open air.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My wife and I took our first ride (post restoration) which happened to be at night. She loves the floor lighting, and loved to keep it lit during our night drive. So having the extra control switch has even more value than I originally thought.

During our drive, we both quickly learned that I have one more LED lighting project. Another LED will go in the glove box and connect to the floor lighting circuit.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Cant tell from the picture, but did you also do your AC controls?
Yes I installed the same LEDs in the 3 dial climate control unit. In my case it was out of necessity. The 3 original incandescent bulbs were burnt out. As you can see, the LEDs in the dials don't glow the same color as they do in open air.

One more thing I did was convert my instrument panel to LED, but I installed a kit from BlackCatCustom to accomplish that. I also had them make a special IP face for me. The entire package cost me around $160. Everyone has their own taste in gauges, but I really like my choice for this car. The balance of interior lighting goes well with it.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Yes, I also installed the same LEDs in the 3 dial climate control unit. In my case it was out of necessity. The 3 original incandescent bulbs were burnt out. As you can see, the dials don't glow the same color as the LED does in open air.
Ahh, yes, the A/C knobs are a bit of a special case, in that they have a filter at the front of the knob. If you take that out, you should get a better match. I did a write-up some years ago, here... Info: Change backlight colors on A/C knobs (X-post)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahh, yes, the A/C knobs are a bit of a special case, in that they have a filter at the front of the knob. If you take that out, you should get a better match. I did a write-up some years ago, here... Info: Change backlight colors on A/C knobs (X-post)
That is very interesting. Thanks for sharing that. I can't say I will jump right into it, but I will consider it. It appears the modification can be done with the climate control on the car.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Yep. And it's easy to do (just be careful). Thinking about it, you could probably just use an opened-up paper clip - one of those thin stiff ones. Just bend an end over 1/8" at 90 deg. Pop one of the dials first and remove the filter and try it. If you don't like it, pop it off again and clip the filter back in!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yep. And it's easy to do (just be careful). Thinking about it, you could probably just use an opened-up paper clip - one of those thin stiff ones. Just bend an end over 1/8" at 90 deg. Pop one of the dials first and remove the filter and try it. If you don't like it, pop it off again and clip the filter back in!
Regarding the unlatching process. Am I feeling in the blind for something to hook on one side and then pull sideways while lifting the round thing? Or do I hook-&-pull both sides simultaneously while lifting? The picture in your link appears to require two picks (or paper clips) pulling sideways in opposing directions.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
You only need one pick (as I said). You just need to go deep enough to get past the lip on the cap... ~1/8", then rotate your bent tip to get underneath that lip and catch hold. Pull. Doesn't matter where you insert the 'tool', the lip/cap is the same all the way round.

Just re-read that post... look at the pics and follow the instructions. I'd thought I'd made it fairly clear.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tomato Soup,

I apologize for my questions, but I would like to try this and I want to get it right. I have had numerous mishaps restoring the car and so I have developed a slight case of paranoia.

I don't have such a small diameter pic so I will try you idea using a bent paper clip.

I understand everything to a point, then not so much. Please confirm that I understand this portion of your process.

Once I have the tool inserted behind the cap in either the 3:00 o'clock or 9:00 o'clock position, I blindly feel for something to hook on to close to the cap (end of hook pointed toward the light bulb) then pull from the direction I inserted the tool. While pulling sideways (3 or 9 o'clock) the cap simply pops off by itself without encouragement.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Yes, you have it correctly, except you pull the edge of the cap (once you have it hooked) directly toward you to unclip it - i.e. directly away from the control unit (and NOT to the side)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yes, you have it correctly, except you pull the edge of the cap (once you have it hooked) directly toward you to unclip it - i.e. directly away from the control unit (and NOT to the side)
Great, thank you! I will give it a try because I think removing the lens inside the 3 dials will adjust the illumination in a way to better match the balance of my interior color scheme.

When I do, I will follow up with "before", a mixture of "original & changed", and "after" pictures. It has to be done at night for a proper evaluation of the change.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Tomato Soup,

Thank you, thank you, Wow, now it's perfect. My 3 climate control dials now match the rest of my interior lighting. Additionally, the project took all of a couple of minutes to accomplish. I deviated from your instruction a bit as follows.

I bent a paper clip paper your instruction as shown.

Following your instruction, it was too weak for the task. So I got one of my automotive picks. It is much thicker than you recommend, but I decided to try it anyway. I selected the pick with the thinnest tip shown here.

The 3 pieces of plastic in this picture are the 3 "Base" model Sky light filters I removed. I think yours are red in the Red Line model.

Per your instruction, I sneaked it between the cap and rubber grip, then behind the cap. BUT now comes my deviation. I pivoted the pick so the tip touched the back side of the cap as close as possible to the snap feature. Just a tiny amount of extra force/twist of the pick and the cap popped right off without stress to anything. I proceeded to do all 3 which went fast and easy.

As I had mentioned, I own a "Base" model Sky so my light filters are the color of chicken soup......not tomato soup....sorry I could not resist adding that. Here you can compare the difference in color between the right one changed, and the left two unchanged. The right one now matches my interior lighting perfectly. It is a bit brighter, but is still not too bright.

I am extremely happy with the results.

Again, I thank you Tomato Soup for sharing this with me. It is a simple modification that takes only a few minutes to accomplish. Unlike everything else I have messed with on my Sky, this mod didn't cost me any time or money.

Little by little, I am getting closer to the Sky I have always wanted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow! Amazing result! I am an owner of an Opel GT (Europe edition of Redline) and I decided to refresh my interior. Your instructions are very helpful. Anyone tried the stock radio cd/mp3 leds? Thanks! You are our eyes in Europe, no such detailed forums here!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts