Saturn Sky Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So back to the questions about changing out the LED's in the AC control unit. Has anyone successfully changed the center light color that illuminated when pressed on these? So the AC, recirculater or rear window?
Mine are still orange, and ive gone through a lot to change everything else over to purple. Havent been able to find info on these, and not quite daring enough to just try something out. lol
Wow, I never considered replacing them. Interesting thought.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
So back to the questions about changing out the LED's in the AC control unit. Has anyone successfully changed the center light color that illuminated when pressed on these? So the AC, recirculater or rear window?
Mine are still orange, and ive gone through a lot to change everything else over to purple. Havent been able to find info on these, and not quite daring enough to just try something out. lol
Well, first I'd would hesitate to change these if I were you. They are indicator lights after all, not backlights. If you make them purple, there's no contrast with the other backlights.

Having said that, I would assume they are probably surface mount LEDs as well, mounted on the front of the A/C controller PCB (Note: I've never had the PCB out to validate that assumption, though). If you look here, you'll see teardown pics of the controller, but you'll have to pull apart your dash to get the controller out first. Fun, fun, fun! Dove into the dashboard... pics and info inside

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well, first I'd would hesitate to change these if I were you. They are indicator lights after all, not backlights. If you make them purple, there's no contrast with the other backlights.

Having said that, I would assume they are probably surface mount LEDs as well, mounted on the front of the A/C controller PCB (Note: I've never had the PCB out to validate that assumption, though). If you look here, you'll see teardown pics of the controller, but you'll have to pull apart your dash to get the controller out first. Fun, fun, fun! Dove into the dashboard... pics and info inside
So im not worried about contrast, considering that they are orange in the sky and the stock backlight color was also orange. Not much of a difference changing both to purple.
And yes, ive had it all apart before, they do appear to be surface mount LED's. The issue is...OMG are they small!!!
I have very tiny led's that ive put in my window controllers and my guages, but if im looking at them correctly, these take the cake. I have no idea where to get any that i could comfortably solder onto that location. Was hoping someone knew of these being filtered too and not just orange lights, because id be happy to take a filter off and have them white.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Now that I am driving our Sky (post restoration), I am reminded how difficult it is to read anything on the radio in daylight. I really want a Solstice lens now, and I am contemplating replacing the LEDs to get the buttons lighting up white like the rest of my interior is now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Now that I am driving our Sky (post restoration), I am reminded how difficult it is to read anything on the radio in daylight. I really want a Solstice lens now, and I am contemplating replacing the LEDs to get the buttons lighting up white like the rest of my interior is now.
Unless your going for OEM originality why not just swap the HU to an aftermaket?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I like the OEM look, but enhancing the OEM lighting would make it ideal. Aftermarket doesn't interest me.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
The Solstice lens is still a filter and probably the same or even LESS bright than your's is now. The brightest ones are the ND filters that many GM cars use (like the Chevy Impala photo below), but then the display color is green. (Looks a bit blueish below, but I think that's a camera artifact):

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
One thing I learned about the GM radio in discussion. Most display filter/lens are not compatible with the Sky radio. The round button in the upper left corner with the letter "i" is the indicator to watch for, though incompatibility is also present on the larger right-side radius.

On the "i" button....
Watch the difference in the radius.
Watch the variation of lens extending to the center-line of the "i".

Here is my Sky radio. Note how the lens falls shy of the center-line of the "i". Also note the radius.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
To consolidate all my interior LED lighting efforts, I am including what I did related to the instrument panel LED lighting upgrade and gauge face replacement.

My 2007 Base gauges were very hard to read, day or night. I took a leap of faith and spent $165 on a custom-made IP face & LED back-lighting kit from Black Cat Custom.

Here is my original Base gauges with original lighting.

Taken apart, I learned the light bulbs had yellow covers. Here are the differences concerning the covers.

I found the lighting better without the covers, but still not bright enough nor the right color spectrum. Just as an experiment, here is my custom made BCC gauge face with the original bulbs, both yellow and clear. The clear was still yellow though not captured well in this picture.

Here are the 3 BCC LED light pods installed. Note the natural color of the odometer.

I chose the BCC instrument face with thicker graphics for easier reading during the day and also better at night. Here are the two side-by-side. Note the difference in odometer window colors.

Here is the end result. The hazing is a cell phone pic thing, not reality. I had BCC modify an existing design of theirs to my preference with the hope that I can read it easier, day or night. Some of my deviations eliminated unnecessary graphics to reduce clutter and glare. Note the color of the odometer went from orange to a more appropriate aqua.

Another benefit to BCC's gauge face is the trunk-open indicator now representing a Sky trunk.

Here is an over-view picture. Note the IP lighting coordinates perfectly. All my pictures have the IP dimmer set to max. The dimmer adjustment is not dramatic from full bright to lowest. Since I like my radio at full brightness, I keep it at full intensity. One day I hope to convert the radio lighting. Then I would likely lower the intensity.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts