Saturn Sky Forum banner
141 - 160 of 222 Posts

· Registered
2007 Base Roadster, "Stock" for the most part, but with lots of interior illumination changes
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 · (Edited)
An assortment like you mentioned would be nice. Thanks!
I bought something like this. I used the bulbs in more than one car. You can't beat the $9 price for 28 bulbs.
One LED on a cluster of 5 on one bulb later started blinking so I heavily dabbed just that LED with a black permanent marker and managed to mount the vehicle's receiving socket into the license plate lens so that the bad LED faced inward. Good as new!

· Registered
2007 Saturn Sky Redline. 5-speed, gray. 87k miles on body. 1k miles on crate engine and turbos.
111 Posts
I bought something like this. I used the bulbs in more than one car.

That looks promising. I might just go ahead and get that. I was looking for someone who had actually used an item. At the price, who cares how many you don't use, right? Thanks!

Why does it always say "is not compatible for Saturn Sky"? smh

· Registered
2008 Red Line in Midnight Blue
64 Posts

· Registered
2007 Saturn Sky Redline. 5-speed, gray. 87k miles on body. 1k miles on crate engine and turbos.
111 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Without the green cover on the bulbs, is the bare incandescent light pretty yellow, or have some whiteness to it? The photo of the HVAC controls where one is bulb is white, is that the new led vs old bulbs with cover on them?

· Registered
2007 Base Roadster, "Stock" for the most part, but with lots of interior illumination changes
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 · (Edited)
Without the green cover on the bulbs, is the bare incandescent light pretty yellow, or have some whiteness to it? The photo of the HVAC controls where one is bulb is white, is that the new led vs old bulbs with cover on them?
All rubber light bulb covers in the main instrument panel were yellow as shown here. I removed the two on the right side for comparison.
Property White Building Interior design Wall

Here is the result on my 2007 Base Sky. It is less orange and also brighter.
Gauge Tachometer Speedometer Measuring instrument Motor vehicle

Here is the same incandescent lighting applied to my BlackCatCustom face which is more white, but I wanted it brighter and whiter yet.
Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Tachometer Gauge

For comparison, here is the IP with LED.
Vehicle Car Speedometer Motor vehicle Steering part

As for the HVAC controls, it is very easy to remove the color light diffusers, done in a few minutes using a fine pick. You insert a fine pick between the plastic face and the rubber grip surround, and pop off the face from behind, then remove the light diffusers from the popped-off faces. The original bulbs do NOT have yellow rubber covers like the IP, only these flat lime-colored diffusers.
Automotive lighting Camera lens Automotive tire Cameras & optics Material property

I used a thicker pick, but a fine one would have been better.
Font Rectangle Metal Asphalt Fashion accessory

I don't have comparing pictures of incandescent bulbs in my HVAC unit because all three bulbs were burnt out. I only have a comparson between LED with and without the flat diffusers. The result was an extremely bright white light which was too bright for me. I reduced the intensity by dabbing the top of each LED with a black permanent marker which worked out perfectly.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Personal luxury car

You have to disassemble the HVAC assembly to access the bulbs to replace them. The factory bulbs are socketed, but are accessed only after disassembly which is not easy. I directly soldered in the LEDs, not utilizing the incandescent bulb sockets for a more reliable connection and to improve the heat sinking of the LEDs so they operate a little cooler.

· Registered
4,713 Posts
Not sure if we are talking the same thing (I'm a bit thrown by the "green cover" statement), but the standard incandescent backlight bulbs in the car are all underdriven for a long life, so are quite yellow. The HVAC controls backlights do not have a cover as such. The color filter is snapped into the knobs themselves (and can be removed/replaced).
See: (6) Info: Change backlight colors on A/C knobs (X-post) | Saturn Sky Forum (skyroadster.com)

· Registered
106 Posts
Brain fart. Meant with the plastic covers removed from the knobs.

· Registered
111 Posts
Houston, we have a problem....

I got my reverse LED and installed it yesterday, and it worked perfectly. I have a Pioneer head with backup camera, and it really helps... BUT, now my screen on the head unit says "No video", and I can't get to any screen, EXCEPT when I put it in reverse (manual tranny). Then the camera video works fine, and when I put it in reverse, then neurtral, the main screen pops up. As soon as I put in gear, only the "No video" shows. If I tune the radio while it's still in neutral, the radio works fine. It will play and change preset stations on my steering wheel, even while the screen says "no video".

In addition, and this may be a coincidence, the passenger air bag says "OFF", and will not come on, whether I have a passenger or not. I really hate to take the LED out, but it's not worth going without the radio, Android Auto, and passenger airbag saying "OFF". I hit the airbag "ON" button several times to no avail.

Anyone else have an experience like this? Or any suggestions as to what is causing it? I haven't put the OEM bulb back in, so I can't be positive the LED is the problem, but I don't think it's all coincidence. Everything worked fine before installing the reverse LED...... I thought I'd post this before changing it back to stock to see if this had happended to anyone else. The head is a Pioneer DMH1770EFX. The LED is a Sirius 3157 white. Thanks.

· Administrator
8,913 Posts
It is probably the LED. There is enough back-emf in the circuit for the headunit to expect a backup camera, but not enough for the camera to power. You will either have to change back to an incandescent bulb or add a loading resistor to the LED.

· Registered
111 Posts
Maybe I'm reading reply wrong, John. If so, please correct me...

The backup camera works perfectly. Stick it in reverse and the LED and camera function as they are supposed to.........
It's the main screen of the head unit that says "No Video Signal" on an otherwise blank screen. So, I can't manage any functions like radio, Android Auto, driving maps, etc.

IF I put it in reverse, and then put it in neutral, the main screen comes up. As soon as I put it in a forward gear, it goes back to "No Video Signal". If I choose a radio station while it's in neutral, the radio will function normally, except I can't see what station it is on, and I have to control it with the steering wheel controls, because there are no controls visible on the screen.

Also concerned with the Passenger Airbag saying "OFF" both at the control, and in the dash warning area.

Are there any instructions available for installing a loading resistor? The reverse camera is reading correctly. Just nothing else. I hate to go back to the incandescent reverse light, but I will if I have to. I also have the map, trunk and license plate LED's to install. Don't want any more surprises.
Thanks!!

· Administrator
8,913 Posts
An LED has very high resistance compared to an incandescent bulb, so any voltage that gets into the circuit will not be pulled down to ground through the LED. The surest way to determine if it is the LED is to put the OE bulb back in, but you can also install the resistor if you have one. The resistor is wired in parallel to the LED and the value should match that of the incandescent bulb.

The system will work normally in reverse because it is expected that there will be 12V on the circuit in reverse. The problem results when not in reverse becuase there is supposed to be 0V on that circuit and (my assumption) is that there is something more than 0V.

The most common cause of the airbag service warning is failure of the passenger seat sensor, usually (in my opinion) caused by someone kneeling in the seat or by placing something in the seat that stresses the sensor mat.

· Registered
111 Posts
I know nothing about installing resistors, but I am going to change it back to the OEM bulb tomorrow. I agree that's the only way to know for sure. If everything is back to normal, I'll have to do some due diligence on installing the correct resistor. I'm surfing the Solstice forum now to see if anyone has had this problem over there.

The airbag warning came at the exact same time as the LED was installed. To my knowledge no one has put a knee in the seat abnormally. My wife was riding in it today, but she's barely 130lbs, and it didn't work when she got out, either. May be coincidence, but we'll know tomorrow.
Thanks, again!

· Administrator
8,913 Posts
Unless you have owned the car from new you cannot rule out improper seat loading. The "knee in the seat" weakens the grid and then normal use finishes the break some time later.

You could have done something that caused a different issue, and there have been a very few non-sensor airbag failures so one of those cannot be ruled out. You will need a diagnostic scan of the system to be sure.

· Registered
111 Posts
UPDATE: I reinstalled the OEM incandescent bulb, and that FIXED EVERYTHING, including airbag warning as well as head functions. 1-22-23 1:07pm EST.

Thanks, John. It's nasty outside, so I may not get incandescent bulb back in today, but should get it done tomorrow. I'll report back what issues are resolved, and ones that aren't. The seller (Sirius) quickly responded and we are working on different ideas regarding the backup LED. He has a ton of different LED's. These are the one(s) I bought (OEM pictured, also)
Liquid Fluid Bottle Automotive lighting Drinkware

· Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
I find it amazing how changing one incandescent bulb brake light bulb to an LED, affected other things that don't seem to be related. It has me wondering about my door speakers that have not worked for me for who knows for how long. I have changed so many bulbs inside the car and a few outside from incandescent to LED. I would hate to think that my LED conversion messed up my sound system.

· Registered
111 Posts
I swear it's true, in my case (and it was the reverse bulb, not the brake light bulb, btw).

The incandescent bulb is just hanging down right now. I don't know if it's brand of bulb I bought, or the type of sound system I have, or some weird combination. I mean I literally got back into the car after reinstalling the OEM bulb, turned the switch, and the radio came right on, just like it always has before I installed the reverse LED. The airbag said "OFF", so I walked around and sat in the passenger seat, and it immediately went to "ON". When the LED was installed and my wife riding with me, it not only said off, but the red warning symbol in the dash was on, too.

I'm actually going to reinstall the LED one more time, since it's easy to access, and make double sure it's a good solid connection. I'll use a little electronics cleaner, first, and recheck everything.
What's amazing is the LED worked, and the backup camera worked perfectly. smh

Now, I'm scared to install the map, trunk, and license plate LEDs, at least until this situation is resolved.

· Registered
64 Posts
Certainly an interesting experience! I've replaced all the exterior bulbs with LEDs now except the high-beams and the fog lights. I used all CANBUS bulbs and with integrated resisters, although I still had to add one 25W 8Ohm resister to each of the tail lights to stop the "hyper-flashing". No odd issues so far, but then I haven't actually driven the car since November. Funny thing is, the back up bulb is the only place I used a non-resister bulb.

Your solution is likely as simple as trying a different brand.

· Registered
111 Posts
Interesting and learning experience, for sure...I'm open to recommendations for what I should ask for in a LED. There's so many, my eyes are getting crossed from reading specs. Siriusled sells a lot of LEDs, and they are willing to send out a different one, but I don't know exactly how to explain what I need, except that it needs a load resistor (not up on labels/lingo). Is "CANBUS" the term I'm looking for?

I'm only planning to change map, trunk, and license plate lights, in addition to reverse light.
Priority to me is: Reverse, Map, Trunk, License plate, in that order. Not going to change any others......

I have a kit I got from Viper Lighting that contains the map, trunk and license plate, but I don't want to run into same problem. License plate is low priority and optional..came with kit. I'm going to contact Viper, also, before I install their kit. Thanks!

· Registered
64 Posts
CANBUS is a data bus (network) used for signalling. After doing some thinking, I believe the reverse circuit is probably on the CANBUS since there's a reverse signal line in the stock stereo wiring harness. And since the bulb is part of that circuit, I can imagine that a non-CANBUS bulb could cause issues. However, no idea how the airbag sensor is involved?!

Regardless, I would suggest a CANBUS bulb, and something that at least claims "low RF interference" or "low EMI". I doubt you need a resister in this location so I suggest you just try that first. If it still doesn't work, then either a 3157 with CANBUS and a built-in resister, or an external resister. Built-in resister is easier, but these have a fan on them that would be inside the back-up light enclosure, and I'm not sure that this enclosure is ventilated at all, so the bulb might not last as long as it should, or may cause excessive heat build-up.

141 - 160 of 222 Posts