Saturn Sky Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
That picture is exactly what I was hoping for. Now the only question is the plug-n-play compatibility between the 2008 Cobalt face to my 2007 Sky main unit including the swapping of internals so the face of my radio still looks OEM Sky original. I think the front lenses are the exact same shape and size so I should be able to interchange them. If not, my Sky radio will be black and silver (unlike the Cobalt radio pictured) which might offer a nice black/silver transition between the silver shift area and black above it. I have made a few concessions deviating from OEM with my Sky, for example my black leather steering wheel, and this one seems reasonable as well.
Ok, a couple of things... You'll probably be OK with swapping faceplates. I know for a fact that the Sky face will swap with a Sol radio, for example.

HOWEVER, if you swap just the internals, keeping the Sky front, the Orange filter of your current radio will still be in place, so you won't get the blue-green you're looking for.

See: Migrated my (old) Solstice Radio faceplate to my (new)...

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
I bit the bullet and did it. I first installed the Cobalt radio face on my Sky radio and it worked perfectly and lit up just the way I had hoped for. So I disassembled the face but was not able to remove the lens. It is adhered on too well. So I installed the entire Cobalt face. I will see how the illumination works under all conditions, and also see if the silver face grows on me or not. Here are some pictures.

Original Radio (all orange)

Silver Cobalt Radio Face (aqua and white colors)

Here it is with my garage lights on.

Here it is with the interior lights on.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
TomatoSoup,

I got another compatible blue lens "donor" radio face. Using your "brute force" prying method, I will attempt to remove the blue lens using some kind of plastic tool to pry at the points of adhesion per your instruction long ago. Do you have any other advise before I try it?

Once removed (hopefully without damaging it) I will polish it like new, and then glue it on my original gloss black Sky radio face. It would be nice to have my radio looking "original" minus the bright illumination.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Do you have any other advise before I try it?
Go gently :) After you get it off and polish it, also sand/polish the glue spots on the lens. Then I suggest you mask off the viewing area rectangle and give the back of the lens a coat of black paint. That way, the glue spots will not show through from the front when you've glued it back on.

I had to do mine twice for that reason :(

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
I am back to a stock-looking Sky radio, but now with an aqua-colored display to match my odometer, and brightly lit buttons from the standard dim orange to a bright lite-lime that is similar to the climate control with the OEM diffusers installed.

This night pic does not bring out the colors.

I was so careful but still cracked the aqua lens in the upper-right corner. I glued it together and then polished the lens so well that it is hardly noticed by me. Others won't notice it.

Another thing I tried which I am very pleased with is the 3-pod climate control lighting. Months ago I installed bright daylight LED bulbs which was really nice. But I always felt they were a bit over-bright. Tonight I popped off the 3 center buttons again (I previously removed the lite-lime light diffusers) got out a Sharpie permanent marker and dabbed some "black" on the top of each bulb. Now it's "perfect", not too bright, not too dim, just right and remains the same daylight color. If I ever have my power mirror switch out for any reason, I will do the same to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Removing that cover was simple for me. I can't offer any advice. Sorry.

Maybe your screw threads are rusted.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
How the @@@@ did you remove the connector's black cap to expose the cables??? It has some teeth that I cannot remove. Did you unscrew the connector? :)))))
Looking at your picture, you can see a light blue 'pin holder'. Just slide that out from the side (=the top in your pic). When you do the pins will all be free so be carefull that others don't come out too. Oh and yes, you'll need to unscrew the connector for access.

But you can also splice into that wire without removing the pin. Do it inside the shell of the connector and it wont be visible when it's all together.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks that worked but the negative control is a 0 voltage wire and when the center mirror fades it gives gradually a voltage up to 5 volts when center mirror lights are completely off and stays there at 5v. Maybe I need another type of switch to feed this signal.Also on the BCM connector do you now if I can get a signal on the lights on. I want to turn foot well lights on while I am driving without the need to switch them on.

Thanks again

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Thanks that worked but the negative control is a 0 voltage wire and when the center mirror fades it gives gradually a voltage up to 5 volts when center mirror lights are completely off and stays there at 5v.
Yes, kindof. That with is a "fading ground" that gradually increases in effective resistance as the lights dim, but it never actually goes open circuit (infinite resistance), so some current can still flow, even when the lights are 'off'. The 5V you measure is probably the no-load voltage, which would decrease if there was load on the circuit. Bottom line, if you have enough LEDs/load there, the voltage will reduce enough to get below the LED turn on voltage (especially for white LEDs) and they will turn off (or glow so dimly they won't be noticeable).

As for footwell lights, personally I don't think it's a good idea to have them on while driving (I have mine one when the interior lights are on, per the above circuit), but each to his own :) . I would tap into the backlight circuit of the switches in the boomerang etc. That's a PWM voltage that 'dims' (or not) with the dashlight dimmer control. It should be available at position F2 (Grey wire) on the C4 connector (NOT the one discussed above). C4 is the big-assed connector at the BACK of the BCM. May be easier to tap the circuit at one of the boomerang switches instead.

·
Registered
21 Posts
@TomatoSoup thanks a lot! I got the 0-12 voltage from the esp switch.. My wife has a touareg with foot well lights that can be dimmed while driving. That's the idea, we will see. We always have the turn off switch! Thanks again for the accurate info!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Complete restoration with a lot of work at weekends and very little time unfortunately! Hope to be ready in a month! Thanks!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
About the fading ground,

My LED interior mirror down-lights and floor-lights (that fades off) have a very gentle glow 100% of the time when the car is turned off. The power drain is negligible.

I found it nice to have that very gentle glow when driving the car at night. It is noticed only in total darkness.

·
Registered
31 Posts
rjgramps, your lighting is great. I's on my second Sky and my one complaint, besides wondering what idiot designed the drop top mechanism and trunk, has been the potty interior lighting. The previous owner of my RL yanked the GM radio and put in a Kenwood so that lighting is okay. But the failure to have decent lighting for the gauges, especially with them so deeply set in the binnacles, is awful, let alone having they dim automatically. If I had the time and skill, I'd be all over doing what you did. Thanks for the post and instructions.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
rjgramps, your lighting is great............ Thanks for the post and instructions.
You are very welcome!

Yes, the interior lighting in a stock Sky is very disappointing. Making matters worse for me, when I purchased my Sky, the 3-pod climate control light bulbs and the power window switch light bulbs were burnt out. My back-lit LED radio buttons didn't light up from the failed circuit board in the face of the radio. Floor lighting was installed by a previous owner but the LEDs were that weird spooky dark blue, and they did not operate properly with the doors. So when forced into addressing all those issues, I figured I would just go crazy and try to optimize lighting throughout including the IP gauges. I bought a 20-pack of micro-12V daylight LEDs which is plenty for the entire project. I am not done yet. Still remaining are power door lock switch bulbs, fog light switch bulb, and the steering wheel button bulbs.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts