Saturn Sky Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

Registered
You are very welcome!

Yes, the interior lighting in a stock Sky is very disappointing. Making matters worse for me, when I purchased my Sky, the 3-pod climate control light bulbs and the power window switch light bulbs were burnt out. My back-lit LED radio buttons didn't light up from the failed circuit board in the face of the radio. Floor lighting was installed by a previous owner but the LEDs were that weird spooky dark blue, and they did not operate properly with the doors. So when forced into addressing all those issues, I figured I would just go crazy and try to optimize lighting throughout including the IP gauges. I bought a 20-pack of micro-12V daylight LEDs which is plenty for the entire project. I am not done yet. Still remaining are power door lock switch bulbs, fog light switch bulb, and the steering wheel button bulbs.
Some day I'll do the same. OR we could meet in Indy and you could do it for me. 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
My Sky has flush steering wheel buttons which I am fine with. I have a spare pair of raised buttons that came with a steering wheel I bought months ago. Instead of disturbing my Sky, I investigated a spare.

I opened it up, hoping to see light bulbs but these have LEDs just like the radio illumination. I would have to replace the circuit board to change the color. Given other electrical incompatibility issues between my flush and raised buttons, I don't think I will attempt this, but I will ponder this a while. I think I am done with my LED conversion for now.

Some of you mentioned you prefer raised buttons. I wonder if just the upper left portion shown, could be swapped, keeping everything else electrically compatible.

Registered
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
Oh, one more thing. I am in the middle of installing power door lock switches. The passenger door is complete.

I converted the switch illumination to daylight LED like everything else.

My interior daylight LED illumination conversion plus additional lighting took serious determination, but both I and my wife really like the results. The car works and feels so much better at night. I am surprised that we also liked the color choice so much. Daylight LED is not what we like at home.

Once I am 100% complete, I will post a couple more pictures to show the final results, though it is hard to capture the reality of it in pictures.

Registered
The wiring schematic is different on the left side of the steering wheel for the raised buttons...2 of the 4 wires must be juxtaposed....the right side is identical as I recall. I would assist u but sorry, not removing my air bag to get to these wires...By your pictures...I see your car came with the chrome package but u r missing the chrome footrest. Mine came missing also and I have automatic....had them ship it to me...easy install

Registered
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
The wiring schematic is different on the left side of the steering wheel for the raised buttons...2 of the 4 wires must be juxtaposed....the right side is identical as I recall. I would assist u but sorry, not removing my air bag to get to these wires...By your pictures...I see your car came with the chrome package but u r missing the chrome footrest. Mine came missing also and I have automatic....had them ship it to me...easy install
I woke up this morning with an idea. Earlier, I switched radio face circuit boards with a Cobalt to get brightly lit buttons that are a close match to my new interior illumination. Maybe I could try Cobalt steering wheel buttons too. If so, I would likely need to swap the 2 wires you mentioned. I might be willing to try that if I could get the details on that along with a set of Cobalt buttons.

Yes, a chrome foot rest would have been a nice compliment, but I could not secure one. People selling them want to sell all the chrome pedals as a set for a lot more than is worth to me.

Registered
I woke up this morning with an idea. Earlier, I switched radio face circuit boards with a Cobalt to get brightly lit buttons that are a close match to my new interior illumination. Maybe I could try Cobalt steering wheel buttons too. If so, I would likely need to swap the 2 wires you mentioned. I might be willing to try that if I could get the details on that along with a set of Cobalt buttons.

Yes, a chrome foot rest would have been a nice compliment, but I could not secure one. People selling them want to sell all the chrome pedals as a set for a lot more than is worth to me.
Go and find a junk yard with a R/L....just call them and they will get it for you. Reach out to Hoosier...although that may not be an option he carries uness he has a parts car.

Regarding the Cobalt steering wheel...I am not familiar with that. When it comes to LEDs on your radio....my personal like is the Solstice...the red and white is rich looking. Remember on most GM cars LEDs are white. It is the plastic that gives it color.

Registered
Discussion Starter #88
Regarding the chrome footrest, I did reach out to HoosierGXP. He sells only all pedals as a kit. I like your idea of reaching out to someone parting out a RL. I will try that.

The Cobalt & Sky radios, and the Sky steering wheel LEDs are not "lens" colored. The lens is white. The color is within the LEDs. So I think just maybe the Cobalt steering wheel buttons are in the same manner. I am on the lookout for used Cobalt steering wheel buttons.

Registered
It's not the buttons that u should be concerned with as the wiring positioning. When they raised the buttons...they changed everything on the left side...it was much testing until the right sequence was found. PERSEVERANCE. The raised buttons have a different logo for incoming calls...the right side of the steering wheel. The best thing about raised buttons....u do not mute the radio when turning your wheel....the flat buttons would always mute the sound from the radio when turning...that is why GM changed to raise.

Registered
Discussion Starter #90
It's not the buttons that u should be concerned with as the wiring positioning. When they raised the buttons...they changed everything on the left side...it was much testing until the right sequence was found. PERSEVERANCE.
So it is a matter of trial and error? Is there any concern of electrical damage when wired incorrectly?
The best thing about raised buttons....u do not mute the radio when turning your wheel....the flat buttons would always mute the sound from the radio when turning...that is why GM changed to raise.
Hmmm, I would have thought it is easier to accidentally hit a raised button.

Registered
So it is a matter of trial and error? Is there any concern of electrical damage when wired incorrectly?

Hmmm, I would have thought it is easier to accidentally hit a raised button.
NO! You can feel the raised button....the other way, your finger has no resistance and it pushes the button when turning...some time logic is not logical.

Registered
Ah, I get it.
By the way...go for the foot pedal chrome rest....nobody notices it but you do....it makes u feel better. It is a true match. All junk yards have them....they were included in N/As if u bought into the chrome package and most of us did. I don't know if the Solstice had it.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts