Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i installed LED bulbs in my tail lights and got the 'hyper flashing' issue. In an attempt to resolve the issue I picked up a pair of 6 ohm resistors and wired them into the brown and black wires on each side but that didn't fix the problem. What am i doing wrong?

·
Administrator
8,249 Posts
Brown is the parking lamp. You want the yellow for the left, and dark green for the right.

·
Administrator
8,249 Posts
Any tutorial with pics on this anywhere?
You may find something here or on the Solstice forum with a search of"hyperflash" or "resistor". The people that sell LEDs usually have instructions.

One important thing is to keep the resistors away from plastic. They get hotter than you may think, and will melt things. They also have to be in an area with air circulation.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I must still be doing something wrong as i still have the 'hyper flash' on my turn signals. The 4 ways flash at the normal rate. I ran wire extensions and have the resistors themselves attached to a metal area in the centre of the trunk. Other than the two wire connections, i dont have to 'ground' the resistors seperately do i ?

EDIT: Ok, i resolved the problem by wiring 2 - 6 ohm resistors in parallel on each side and now everything works properly.

·
Administrator
8,249 Posts
I must still be doing something wrong as i still have the 'hyper flash' on my turn signals. The 4 ways flash at the normal rate. I ran wire extensions and have the resistors themselves attached to a metal area in the centre of the trunk. Other than the two wire connections, i dont have to 'ground' the resistors seperately do i ?

EDIT: Ok, i resolved the problem by wiring 2 - 6 ohm resistors in parallel on each side and now everything works properly.
Glad you got it sorted out.

One resistor would work if there was only one tail light bulb on each side, but the total of three (one front and two rear) apparently needs the extra resistor.

Reactions: mikeyt

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I probably should thank my wife. She understands electric circuits and electronics better than i do .... she's the one who figured it out. :cry:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Resurrecting this older thread because I have a similar issue.
I installed LEDs in the tail lights and connected resistors on both sides (one each side). The turn signals work great (no hyperflash) as long as the headlights/tail lights are off. If I turn them on (or they automatically turn on) I get hyperflash. I'm hoping this sounds familiar to someone who can offer a fix.
Are others using two resistors per side, one for each bulb?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,249 Posts
Resurrecting this older thread because I have a similar issue.
I installed LEDs in the tail lights and connected resistors on both sides (one each side). The turn signals work great (no hyperflash) as long as the headlights/tail lights are off. If I turn them on (or they automatically turn on) I get hyperflash. I'm hoping this sounds familiar to someone who can offer a fix.
Are others using two resistors per side, one for each bulb?

Thanks!
How, exactly, did you connect the resistors? It sounds like a wiring problem.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Is this with the engine running? If you are just running on the battery, the headlamps will draw enough current to pull down the battery voltage, thus enough current (and so wattage) will not be drawn by your resistors, making the BCM think there's "trouble a t'mill"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, I used 2 resistors on each side and that cured any issues i was having.
Thanks Mikey, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case but..... It's strange none of the YouTube videos showing this mod have mentioned a second resistor. Maybe the wiring year to year changed a little. Mine's an '08.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is this with the engine running? If you are just running on the battery, the headlamps will draw enough current to pull down the battery voltage, thus enough current (and so wattage) will not be drawn by your resistors, making the BCM think there's "trouble a t'mill"
Thanks TS, you had me excited for a few moments there. I skedaddled out to the garage, fired up the little beast and tried the turn signals. Sadly I saw the same symptom even at high idle. Normal blinking (both sides) with headlights off, fast blink with them on. Both headlights are fine. Thanks for the tip though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How, exactly, did you connect the resistors? It sounds like a wiring problem.
Well, I might have shot myself in the foot, so to speak. I tried connecting a resistor to the main harness connected to the tail light and got only hyperflash. Then I connected to one of the leads from the new bulb and it was all good until the headlights turned on then, hyperflash. It appears I'll have to add a resistor to the other tail light bulb on each side.

·
Administrator
8,249 Posts
Well, I might have shot myself in the foot, so to speak. I tried connecting a resistor to the main harness connected to the tail light and got only hyperflash. Then I connected to one of the leads from the new bulb and it was all good until the headlights turned on then, hyperflash. It appears I'll have to add a resistor to the other tail light bulb on each side.
The bulbs are wired in parallel, so you can connect both resistors for each side in parallel also. You don't have to connect them directly to the bulbs.

Where did you connect the ground sides of the resistors?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The bulbs are wired in parallel, so you can connect both resistors for each side in parallel also. You don't have to connect them directly to the bulbs.

Where did you connect the ground sides of the resistors?
One side of each resistor is connected to the black wire, the other side is connected to yellow on the left side, green on the right side.

·
Administrator
8,249 Posts
One side of each resistor is connected to the black wire, the other side is connected to yellow on the left side, green on the right side.
The resistors are generally installed one-to-one with the LEDs, but provide just enough current for two bulbs. When you do not have the headlights on, only the resistors are flowing current through the black wire, but when you turn the headlights on you are adding the current from the tail light bulbs. That extra current is changing the resistor performance just enough to cause the hyperflash.

If you change the grounding point to the chassis you will likely not have to use a second resistor.

Also be aware that the resistors get very hot, and if you have them mounted in the plastic light housing you are likely to melt something. It has happened to others.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts