Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: The rear differential leaked, the interior side panels are warped, the glove box is warped, the car floods whenever we get a heavy rain. No parts in three weeks for the warped items, dealer can't fix/stop the leak! Worst car I've ever owned and worst dealer support I've ever had. Saturn Corp could care less! My 4th and last Saturn. Off to intitiate a Lemon law complaint!

·
Registered
462 Posts
bad sky

How many miles before the leak? Yours sounds like a true Monday morning car, unusual based upon the reporting done here on the forum. Can you give up some more specifics with your dealer and car.:banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Most states require a number of attempted (and unsuccessful) repairs in order to initiate a lemon law suit. It is usually 3 or 4. Depending on the problems, you can sometimes aggregate them.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Interesting 1st Post.

First of all Welcome to our Forum (assuming you'll come back)-

You gave a long list of problems but no details or specifics on how and why--We have not had a Sky posting here with ALL the things your saying you are having problems all at the same time (that I am aware of anyways). How old is your sky and how many miles does it have? When did you pick it up? AND when you did, did all these problems exist when you picked it up? :confused: Or did these problems start to happen after you drove it away? If you saw these items before you drove it away I would of refused it on the spot. Did you buy this Sky new from a dealer or from another person? I have other questions & suggestions but ah, until you respond to my basic questions above not much we can say or do to help ya.:eek: Also where are you, state will do for now-:confused: PS, remember there are more than 1 dealer usually around, if not happy with the one your taking it to I suggest takin it to another one--And yes, getting parts in some cases has been a problem for "some" dealers-

·
Registered
514 Posts
The differential and parts availability are well known issues. Should have done your reaserch before buying. The panels I have never heard complaints about. This guy says he got a lemon too, 4 differentials on a brand new car, come on:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24098

·
Registered
370 Posts
The differential and parts availability are well known issues. Should have done your reaserch before buying. The panels I have never heard complaints about. This guy says he got a lemon too, 4 differentials on a brand new car, come on:

I've had my differential replaced once... It still leaks. I have a R/L on order and figure I will just drive it till the R/L comes in and trade up.

·
Registered
243 Posts

That guy would be me and I'm actually a girl. And YES i have had the diff replaced on my Sol 4 times. If you would like to PM me I'll give you the user name and log in to MyGMLink.com and you can see for yourself where GM has listed every replacement. Also "I" am not "saying" I got a Lemon GM said I got and lemon and that is why they are buying it back. Again if you would like to see my paperwork I can show you. In the future please do your research before commenting on other people, if you ask around you will find out I have been here a very long time and most people know of the ongoing issues that I have been having. And BTW I have also had the AC compressor replaced and 2 recall services on the Tranny.

Have a great day.
JR

·
Registered
204 Posts
That guy would be me and I'm actually a girl. And YES i have had the diff replaced on my Sol 4 times.
I think that "come on" by the previous poster was aimed at the idea of a company who turned out a car that required four replacements not at your veracity...

·
Registered
56 Posts
lemon

it is interesting to hear all of these experiences. I too have had trouble with my sky, and spoke with my dealer and Saturn about the lemon law, how it takes effect, etc. Everyone was very pleasant and listened to my issues and problems. Saturn immediately extended the bumper to bumper warranty to 5 year/60k mi. They also left an open case on the car and if there continued to be problems the documentation is in place for the lemon law.

Amazingly as soon as all of this happened...the issues on the car seemed to be resolved and I have not had to take it back to the shop.
FYI-
differential issues
heater core
strut issues
interior fits/panels

but even with the problems - I Love my SKY

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Most states require a number of attempted (and unsuccessful) repairs in order to initiate a lemon law suit. It is usually 3 or 4. Depending on the problems, you can sometimes aggregate them.
Yes, the lemon law isn't a quick fix. Often times there has to be due time given to repair a problem and it has to reoccur or be in the shop a certain number of days to be considered a lemon. Check your state's statute.

I also feel a bit concerned that this is the first (and as for now only) post from this user. As we have seen in the past sometimes people come to a car forum just to throw cold water on the car. We have had instances in the past where people have claimed things as far fetched as their wheels flying off at 55 MPH nearly killing their mother.

·
Registered
18,386 Posts
Reality Check Members

This car has not been the best produced vehicle....you members know that. It is a horrible experience to have a lemon...and to top it off, many dealerships are not consumer friendly. All they care about is selling cars. The old saying still applies...if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck...

His car is a lemon and deserves empathy...and alot of it....stop giving him the third degree. You haven't experienced his pain...most of u haven't anyway.

Sometimes your questions are so stupid...just like some of the members. Moderators....had to say it...

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Yeah, sorry for the doubting tone I had. Mike is right.

I am serious though about the lemon law: a lot of information on websites can be misleading and often have a commercial interest. Your state probably has a consumer protection website that can help you determine if the car is lemon-status and the best ways to go about starting an action if you feel it is one.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
marlboro, you do have a good point.

There are a few possibilities:

1) bodieje actually did get a crappy first vehicle with all of these issues and is really upset. He/she may or may not be back. They joined, posted, and logged off one minute later, and haven't been back.

2) bodieje is actually someone who wants to add to the "crap" pile, and may be actually a disguised troll. This happens - someone who wants to magnify problems joins, makes a post like this, logs off and never returns. The joining and posting and logging off a minute later fits this pattern.

We got this fairly frequently as the solsticeforum grew in membership - people who joined, picked 80% of the bad things, posted and made a statement like this just to try and get everyone upset, and logged off. Then re-registered a day or two later with a similar post. Then next week again.

<shrug>

It happens, what can ya do.

Benefit of the doubt, he/she is pretty upset if their car is really this way - hopefully they come back and let us know how it gets resolved.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
This car has not been the best produced vehicle....you members know that. It is a horrible experience to have a lemon...and to top it off, many dealerships are not consumer friendly. All they care about is selling cars. The old saying still applies...if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck...

His car is a lemon and deserves empathy...and alot of it....stop giving him the third degree. You haven't experienced his pain...most of u haven't anyway.

Sometimes your questions are so stupid...just like some of the members. Moderators....had to say it...
Mike, can't agree more. Same "EXPERT" chiming in with half assed conclusions. Had a "lemon" issue in the early 90's with a Ford E150 Club Wagon. The Wash., D.C. zone rep did admit that ONE unresolved safety complaint (srs, brakes, etc) invokes federal lemon criteria. However, there IS a time limit of ownership. My mistake was not to go for a buy-back or replacement and I suffered with the piece of crap for four years. I'll never make THAT mistake again. Eventually replaced it with a 97 Chevy Express Van. Still have it. Based on what I have read here and on the Solstice forum it appears that GM has taken a fairly open, pro-active position on taking back any REAL problem cars. The Kappas are "halo" cars and GM doesn't want bad press. Parts have been discussed as well. Some people over on the Solstice forum have had some hard hits and after a few weeks parts start coming in to fix them. More often than not, insurance companies take longer to authorize the repairs than it takes to get the parts!! Personally, I fully expect my not yet built Redline NOT to be perfect. Guess what? EVERY new vehicle I have EVER owned had problems EXCEPT a 1983 Olds Omega and 1990 Olds Silhouette. That includes the Club Wagon, a 1980 Honda Accord (what? Jap crap with issues?), 2 Chevy and 3 Freightliner Snap-On tool vans. Every one of them were APPLIANCES, and so are Kappas. When I get my RL, if it has problems I will have it fixed. And I have NO intention of "doing my research" to see what the parts situation is when I sign for my car. I'm just going to make sure they filled it will premium gas and then go :driving: :driving:.

·
Registered
18,386 Posts
Kappa..the man started a thread...and hopefully it was truthful...in good faith, most members respond and we try to be supportive. This forum is alot of things to alot of people but mostly informative. It has certainly helped me with the information highway. Of course, at times, I do get carried away, but nothing is truly personalized (Bluestone)...:lol: :lol:

Let's hope there is some validity to what is being posted on this thread.

·
Registered
994 Posts
First of all Welcome to our Forum (assuming you'll come back)-

You gave a long list of problems but no details or specifics on how and why--We have not had a Sky posting here with ALL the things your saying you are having problems all at the same time (that I am aware of anyways). How old is your sky and how many miles does it have? When did you pick it up? AND when you did, did all these problems exist when you picked it up? :confused: Or did these problems start to happen after you drove it away? If you saw these items before you drove it away I would of refused it on the spot. Did you buy this Sky new from a dealer or from another person? I have other questions & suggestions but ah, until you respond to my basic questions above not much we can say or do to help ya.:eek: Also where are you, state will do for now-:confused: PS, remember there are more than 1 dealer usually around, if not happy with the one your taking it to I suggest takin it to another one--And yes, getting parts in some cases has been a problem for "some" dealers-
Great point. Me thinks we may have a trouble maker brewing. :nono: How about, "What's your VIN #?"

·
Registered
18,386 Posts
SnapOnBob....as it appears, when your R/L gets delivered all the bad things that have happened will be cured...and of course u get the power door lock button and height adjustment seat...

I have been fortunate not to have any problems with the base SKY and I have Vin#1414. I have been asked to trade mine in for the R/L but since I have invested in dual quads and have put a 3M bra on it...it is here forever (nothing is forever :lol:). Good Luck....

·
Registered
243 Posts
Lemon Law

As for the Georgia Lemon Law here is what I am having to do.

First of all I've heard people say that it has to be fixed 3 times for the same problem, well that's not true. The law states "A reasonable number of attempts" Which for a part like brakes that number would be ONE. On this rear diff there is no stated number that is considered reasonable because there is no precedence. Now that mine has gone in for it's 4th we are at the point where GM has said that this is a reasonable number.

Second I have to pay for usage which is 20¢ a mile I have 15,500 miles that's $3,000.

Now we have to find a car that is comparable to what I have. Normally. In my case GM is allowing me to go straight into the GXP. So for now I keep my lemon and when the GXP arrives I will swap it out.

I paid MSRP for my current Sol, lets say 27,000. The GXP I have ordered is 28,000. There is another $1000 that I have to pay.

Normally if I were getting another base Sol then I could have gotten one that was cheaper lets say 25,000 then I would have had a $2,000 credit to apply towards the usage fee.

Since I am trading up I am out of pocket $4,000.

So is the lemon law worth it? To me yes I'm out of my junker and I get my GXP without being upside down on my base Sol. To others who have put alot of miles on thiers it may not be.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts