Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I live in a state where front license plates are required, I noticed in the RPO codes that there is a front license plate holder, is this installed at factory or by dealer upon arrival? Inane question but curious anyway.
I guess they will tack on a little more for that.:lol: :lol: :lol: :cheers:

ERNEST:thumbs: :D

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
All I know about it is I had to order it. My dealer missed it at first.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The ones that come on the other Saturns are dealer installed because some places do not require them and even in those states some people choose not to put them on

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing that too. I would think the dealership as I have seen the solstices come in without them.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Back in the 90's the Saturn SC2 had a special holder as well. In my dealer's case he did not mount it until I asked him to. He did say he would "accidentally" give me the plates and holder to "mount" as I saw fit.:nono:
I think for the SKY I will tell him to not mount the front. If I am caught or ticketed - I'll come up with some way (perhaps hung underneath??) to mount it in a less intrusive place...:thumbs:

So I'd say the mount does not come installed. I would imagine most dealers would let you put your own plates on....

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I can't invision how it will look on the car. The front end looks so great. It's to bad to mess it up with a plate. :nono:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
I dont want one on the front of my Sky.... My BMW M3 didnt come with a place to put the plate... i was stopped on more than one occasion.. but, just suggested to " mount one soon" ... hmmmmm SkyBaby_07

·
Registered
802 Posts
"Hide-a-Plate"

Ernest said:
Since I live in a state where front license plates are required, I noticed in the RPO codes that there is a front license plate holder, is this installed at factory or by dealer upon arrival? Inane question but curious anyway.

Yeah Ernest!
I've been thinking a lot lately about some kind of disappearing front plate. I took some closeup pictures of the Red Saturn that was here a little more than a month ago but I couldn't get close enough to measure the distance from the front of the opening to the radiator. I almost appears to be enough room in that area to place some kind of automatic retractor. Been running it around in my head but somehow you have to make it go back into position very quickly and look (and feel) permanent. That would sure fool those darned red light cameras they have installed around the Hollywood and Beverly Hills areas. Not to mention the Officer(s) that pull you over for not having one. Just have to hide a little button somewhere convenient. I could even be set up to hide while the car is moving and flip to normal position when engine is shut down. Nawh, don't like that one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
wooo
You've been watching James Bond! Cool. But unlikely. I live in a state that has to have front licence plates too.:nonod: Hope there is a way to get away with not having one in front but with as great a looking car, as we will all have, THE COPS WILL SEE US!
Chri203

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ernest said:

Just a suggestion (from one of your Solstice "cousins") - the front plate holder should come with the car, separate but with. Not as an addtional cost! Not installed!

If you want to figure out an optional way to install it (as many of the Solstice owners have) tell your salesman that when your car arrives and they are prepping for delivery.....DO NOT install the front plate holder....leave it in the trunk, you will take care of that issue yourself!!!

Hope this is helpful! :)

BTW: I recv'd the front holder even tho I don't live in a state that requires them. (no extra charge!)

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
Good Topic

Does anyone have a picture of this plate holder and it's location? This is something that ....we who have front plates need to be aware of.

MarlboroMike

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live in Front plate state as well, and I have mentioned to some cop buddies about not having the front plates. They said it it depends on the car and the cop. For my area if the cop likes the car, then normally won't bother you cause they got more important thing to do like going to the nearest Starbucks. However, if you get an anal retentive cop that has to go by the book or one that needs a few more tickets to make thier quota, then you are SOL

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
123troy said:
I live in Front plate state as well, and I have mentioned to some cop buddies about not having the front plates. They said it it depends on the car and the cop. For my area if the cop likes the car, then normally won't bother you cause they got more important thing to do like going to the nearest Starbucks. However, if you get an anal retentive cop that has to go by the book or one that needs a few more tickets to make thier quota, then you are SOL
I think I'll give it a try, it ain't a moving violation anyway. They will probably pull us over just to look at the SKY. That happened to me once when I was driving my uncle's Shelby GT350, I was speediong at the time and he wasn't even interested in writing a ticket, just said to slow down when he was walking back to his car.

ERNEST

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
Ernest said:
I think I'll give it a try, it ain't a moving violation anyway.

ERNEST
It is up here,...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Damn car wash took my plate off again :lol: :lol: :lol: :cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Any pic's of the Solstice with the front plate?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The plates are blacked out, but you can get an idea of what it looks like:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I took delivery start of October, drove with the front plate on 'til New Years day, long enough for all the locals to get used to the car and quit noticing it every time I drove by them.

The plate and holder fell off on January 1 and mysteriously got lost in a friendly snow bank :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts