Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When are they going to make lightweight wheels with this lug pattern?

It would be a match made in heaven...

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
What do you suggest?

I though Aluminum Alloy was already pretty light. Perhaps not as light as magnesium - but then magnesium can burst into flame if you get a flat tire at speed. perhaps not as light as titanium - but is anyone making wheels from titanium and if so at what price?

Keep in mind that with larger diameter wheels there is an incredible amount of centrifigal (or is it centripedal?) force and the structural integrity needs to be maintained.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
don't aftermarket wheels usually look better than the OEM wheels? I don't like those ones at all.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think it would be hard for any aftermarket company to make wheels that look better than the factory chrome wheels. IMO they are one of the cleanest and attractive designs around...even if they are imported from China.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Lil GTO said:
I though Aluminum Alloy was already pretty light. Perhaps not as light as magnesium - but then magnesium can burst into flame if you get a flat tire at speed. perhaps not as light as titanium - but is anyone making wheels from titanium and if so at what price?

Keep in mind that with larger diameter wheels there is an incredible amount of centrifigal (or is it centripedal?) force and the structural integrity needs to be maintained.
Wieght isn't only influenced by the material. It has a lot to do with how they are made. A good forged aluminum wheel could end up being a lot lighter then stock.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
SSR (who's not SSR anymore since they got bought up) will have sometime this year Comp-H (I believe) wheels that will have the factory 18x8 5x110 55mm offset light weight wheels designed to be Stock legal. These should be about 17.5 lbs per wheel and about $500 per wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts