Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the Pontiac Solstice forum and have noticed much discusion over the "clunking" sound cause by the limited slip differentail option. Even though I live here in the cold wintery north I do not plan on driving my Sky when the weather is bad or for even that matter when it rains!
Have any of you thought about the advantages and disadvantages of this option?? Opinons would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
245 Posts
heheh, the lsd is standard in canada :D even though i live in canada, i'm still not going to be driving my sky in the winter... maybe in the rain, occasionally, but definately not in the winter...

·
Registered
236 Posts
When the Sky came to my town the truck drive (sorry, not mullettman) suggested that LSD would be one of the better options to get. He and the dealer said it wasnt about driving in bad weather -which is what I thought it was for. I dont know, maybe someone else could shed some light on this option.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Without LSD, during "spirited" cornering, the inside rear tire will spin and all forward drive will be lost until the inside wheel regains traction. This happens because weight transfer unloads the inside tires. Without LSD the differential will send torque to the wheel with the least resistance while the wheel that has traction will not get torque.

That said, the Sky/Solstice must have a very low center of gravity and has large sticky tires. It probably won't happen too often on the street. But if you do any track days or solo events, you definitely will want LSD.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
aloch said:
Without LSD, during "spirited" cornering, the inside rear tire will spin and all forward drive will be lost until the inside wheel regains traction. This happens because weight transfer unloads the inside tires. Without LSD the differential will send torque to the wheel with the least resistance while the wheel that has traction will not get torque.

That said, the Sky/Solstice must have a very low center of gravity and has large sticky tires. It probably won't happen too often on the street. But if you do any track days or solo events, you definitely will want LSD.
Thanks for the information...
I have to admit the only solo events I have planned is the occasional trip to work. Mostly this will be a touring roadster...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
aloch said:

yeah but it does sound cool when you punch it and spin the inside tire coming out of a corner without LSD... not that I would do that :lol:

·
Registered
39 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
yeah but it does sound cool when you punch it and spin the inside tire coming out of a corner without LSD... not that I would do that :lol:
But think how cool it would be having both tires up in smoke (difficult as it would be w/o Redline or Mallet power). Not that I would do that on the street...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Something else to keep in mind is wear on the rear tires. When I was in college, I took my father's 240sx out for a spin in the rain. The rear tires were no balled, but had extensive wear on them. I was unaware, and took a left turn while excellerating (not heavy), and because it was rear wheel drive, the car spun 180 degrees and wiped out into the curb. The rear suspension on the pass side was destroyed. Could've used a limited slip then..... :D
- Still my only accident though....

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Nemesis said:
Something else to keep in mind is wear on the rear tires. When I was in college, I took my father's 240sx out for a spin in the rain. The rear tires were no balled, but had extensive wear on them. I was unaware, and took a left turn while excellerating (not heavy), and because it was rear wheel drive, the car spun 180 degrees and wiped out into the curb. The rear suspension on the pass side was destroyed. Could've used a limited slip then..... :D
- Still my only accident though....
LSD wont always save you from things like that happening. Even with LSD if your tires aren't gripping you're still going to slide.

I know, I've already put my LSD equiped Solstice sideways thanks to rain and those damn little white reflective paint strips. :brentil:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Thraxz said:
The 240SX is RWD? I never knew that.
Yeah, it's a very popular drift car. It goes by another name in Japan too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
240sx is known as the Silvia in Japan.

LSD actually make the car more likely to spin (the car, not the tires) in slippery conditions. w/o LSD, one tire spins while the other guides the vehicle (to a point, too fast and forget about). With LSD both rears will slip and the spin is underway. Makes for more fun "drifting" style driving if your are judicious with the throttle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It also allows for twice the thrust before breakloose so it's a trade off in bad weather. Static friction is much higher than kinetic friction so you'll get more cornering/launching grip with LSD. But once you lose trac... you better have good insurance or great luck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
aloch said:
LSD actually make the car more likely to spin (the car, not the tires) in slippery conditions. w/o LSD, one tire spins while the other guides the vehicle (to a point, too fast and forget about). With LSD both rears will slip and the spin is underway. Makes for more fun "drifting" style driving if your are judicious with the throttle.
I noticed this with pickup trucks. They are notorious for sliding when wet. It has been my experience that with LSD they are worse when going around a wet corners. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
LSD can lead to chatter on a car...

no LSD leads to one wheel...wheel spins... You might as well buy a Honda Civic..

With the right FM LSD shouldnt chatter

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sol guys are reporting the "clunk" even w/o LSD, but it is more common with LSD. I believe that the clunk is mostly found while shifting the lower gears. There are also quite a bit of leaks (under the Sol), so I hope that some of these minor issues are addressed ... prior to the Sky debut. :cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts