Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Out of nowhere I have gone into limp mode accelerating to high speeds. Even at lower speeds I only get 12PSI on boost.

Here are the mods I have and pushed 24PSI normally
RPI Intercooler,PerformanceWerks BigWheel Turbo
GMPP Upgrade
3" Exhaust Cat back
GM Cold air intake
TrifectaTune for the above

Recently replaced Intake and Exhaust manifolds, All Gaskets and hoses. Everything was working fine for about a month. No issues at all. So - it was not the manifolds and or gaskets and I double checked them.

Here is what I have Troubleshooted:
All hoses - fine
Turbo - Works
Blow off valve - works and not stuck
Waste gate Solenoid - Works - tested and replaced all small hoses as well as checking the power to the solenoid
All intercooler hoses on tight and no issues
Tested all mechanisms to the hoses and all tested good.
Checked and made sure the GMPP wires soldered and connected. - all good

The only thing left is the intercooler that I can think of. The hoses to the intercooler are on and tight. The car starts normally and idles normally. No surging or anything else.

CODE 0299 -low pressure to turbo - DUH! I did have code 101 which leaves me to believe the RPI Aftermarket Intercooler - which is about 8 years old is cracked and I cannot see it.
Any ideas other than the intercooler? Especially at the higher air pull at higher speeds.... Only troubleshoot I have left

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
194 Posts
  • Damaged turbocharger (TC) wastegate regulating valve solenoid
  • Stuck TC wastegate regulating solenoid valve
  • Wastegate stuck open
  • Wastegate control hose open or plugged
  • Air leak between turbocharger and throttle

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:
I got my Intercooler pressure tested and what ya know - it's fine.
So - that leaves the Turbo and the Catalytic Converter as the primary culprits.

So - today I removed the turbo and the catalytic converter and what you know - check out the pics! The sign for future Sky Redline drivers - look for white "ash" behind the turbo and under the exhaust manifold. That white dust is the honeycomb from the inside of the catalytic converter breaking up into little rocks (See pic) and then getting sucked back into the turbo and messing up the turbo as well.

Lucky for me I have an extra cat and a OEM turbo. Will work on fixing the Big Wheel 2.0 with parts from the OEM and putting in the new Cat -
What a mess!

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
Update:
I got my Intercooler pressure tested and what ya know - it's fine.
So - that leaves the Turbo and the Catalytic Converter as the primary culprits.

So - today I removed the turbo and the catalytic converter and what you know - check out the pics! The sign for future Sky Redline drivers - look for white "ash" behind the turbo and under the exhaust manifold. That white dust is the honeycomb from the inside of the catalytic converter breaking up into little rocks (See pic) and then getting sucked back into the turbo and messing up the turbo as well.

Lucky for me I have an extra cat and a OEM turbo. Will work on fixing the Big Wheel 2.0 with parts from the OEM and putting in the new Cat -
What a mess!
I'm confused.
What is the "RPI Downpipe" in your signature? I had the idea that it was a catalytic converter converter substitute.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had to remove the RPI downpipe to pass emissions. I put it on and off but recently kept the Cat on

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
Had to remove the RPI downpipe to pass emissions. I put it on and off but recently kept the Cat on
When I looked up your problem I saw that the only cause you weren't already exploring is restriction in the exhaust. I didn't mention it because of the downpipe in your signature.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The crack in your second pic is "normal" per a TSB to the dealerships. Furthermore, I don't know why you're running an OE cat with a high boost turbo. That makes zero sense. The OE cat really can't flow enough air above 24psi from the OE turbo, let alone a big wheel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts