Saturn Sky Forum banner

41 - 60 of 914 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Actually the werks race Intercooler will probably cost more since someone has to pay about $60 shipping.

Your spec stage 3 is cheaper than stage 3+. Monadzback got it for $850 since I think he receives 10% discount or sumthin. Without discount, plus shipping, it will be around $1100 or so depending on where u buy it.

That's y I said, guestimates....

If a person does his research And get the lowest price, he might save $5000.

Dyno time is another key. More tuning time, more money....

I know you didn't spend as much money, but look at the parts listed on my first post, I bet u don't have as much upgrades internally, drivetrain services and labor......

Internally, I have just as much parts if not more just different brands as well as labor on the motor. The headwork is literally identical with the exception that I didn't go oversized and upgraded the cams. I did go over sized on the block with the pistons. Used Carrillo rods. Instead of Bates head studs I went with ARP etc etc. However, where I do have to give you kudos is on everything else I mean you're going balls to walls with literally everything! I'm itching for a turbo upgrade bad but I'm still eyeballing an LSX swap. The only problem is getting rid of my freshly built LNF.

One thing I don't fully understand is; how was your car holding up in terms of traction when you were at the 400whp mark? Yamtr3 (I think that's his ID), swears that his LS2 with approximately 400+ whp does not get traction. So.. now that you have literally dived into the deep end what are you going to do for traction?
One last thing is don't let the haters get to you :cool: <-- Hater blockers!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Internally, I have just as much parts if not more just different brands as well as labor on the motor. The headwork is literally identical with the exception that I didn't go oversized and upgraded the cams. I did go over sized on the block with the pistons. Used Carrillo rods. Instead of Bates head studs I went with ARP etc etc. However, where I do have to give you kudos is on everything else I mean you're going balls to walls with literally everything! I'm itching for a turbo upgrade bad but I'm still eyeballing an LSX swap. The only problem is getting rid of my freshly built LNF.

One thing I don't fully understand is; how was your car holding up in terms of traction when you were at the 400whp mark? Yamtr3 (I think that's his ID), swears that his LS2 with approximately 400+ whp does not get traction. So.. now that you have literally dived into the deep end what are you going to do for traction?
One last thing is don't let the haters get to you :cool: <-- Hater blockers!
MO, I wasn't aware that you also upgraded your cylinder sleeves, mean bearings, chain tensioner, oil pump gear, balance shafts, and rocker arms. The block upgrade, INTERNAL BALANCE/BLUE PRINT, and install labor were expensive. I personally can't afford them. I was reading your thread before, but I guess, you didn't really specify everything....
I upgraded almost everything since, I know the drivetrain will be the next to link that will fail cuz I'm already noticing it. After the gt35 upgrade, clutch started slipping. After I upgraded the clutch........the synchros started to grind. I know the something else will fail eventually.....so I might as well upgrade them, while the car is at the shop.....

anyways, I came from a FWD background. I used to race turbocharged civics and RSX type-S for years back in the Philippines using b16a and b18 engines. I was the first one to reach flat 12 sec on a daily driven/full interior civic during the year 1998. Even with semi-slick and LSD, a 400 whp FWD car is hard to launch. That's why, having a RWD car for the first time in my life......is a total upgrade for me. Everything seems easier to control....lol. I already told myself that I'll never go back to FWD anymore :)

With my staggered set-up (8 and 9" wheels) and nitto nt05 tires.........launching from a stop light is not that bad. Yeah, it still spins, but not as bad compared to FWD. I am already looking to get a new set of wheels...maybe a staggered 9" and 10.5"/11" though.

but I will see first what happens to the project and find out, how my current staggered set-up reacts to it. If traction is bearable....then there's no need to change set-up. But if not, then upgrade to wider tires :)

a compound set-up will have a very linear power..........unlike a single turbo with a big surge of power. So we'll see......

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
anyways, I came from a FWD background. I used to race turbocharged civics and RSX type-S for years back in the Philippines using b16a and b18 engines. I was the first one to reach flat 12 sec on a daily driven/full interior civic during the year 1998. Even with semi-slick and LSD, a 400 whp FWD car is hard to launch. That's why, having a RWD car for the first time in my life......is a total upgrade for me. Everything seems easier to control....lol. I already told myself that I'll never go back to FWD anymore :)

a compound set-up will have a very linear power..........unlike a single turbo with a big surge of power. So we'll see......
You had an RSX Type S wow I did not know that that is the K20A2 B16 and B18's are good motors to build on, but the K-Series are the newest monsters to play with. So you know about Hondata and Kpro.

The easy way to launch with huge power on a boosted application is boost per gear and big sticky tires. Kpro has it, but I don't know about GM.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
You had an RSX Type S wow I did not know that that is the K20A2 B16 and B18's are good motors to build on, but the K-Series are the newest monsters to play with. So you know about Hondata and Kpro.

The easy way to launch with huge power on a boosted application is boost per gear and big sticky tires. Kpro has it, but I don't know about GM.
b16a and b18c5 (type-r versions)....are good to build. But they have crappy tq! lol! I'll go up 400whp....and 260 tq...lol

the k-series are good due to bigger displacement......but never really got into it..........

I tried going frankenstein with the b series engine.....I like them better :)
All these engines need a solid block........have them sleeved or "guard".....to be up in the 300whp.
hondata is an okay system...........but I always used MOTEC :)

ecotecs are nice since tq and whp are almost at the same level :) Plus the block can handle up to 400whp without touching the internals.....

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
oh and i know how to settle this dispute between SKY888 and gxpripped:

The Forum Wars

looks like a winner to me! :D

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I don't want to clutter his thread he told me to wait 2 months so until then I'm gona keep posting vids and proving what my car does not dyno numbers.
regardless forum wars would be legit! id love to go on and race a s2000 or something like that.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
this is also comparing my car to it and not his. i dont quite make 300whp lol.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
b16a and b18c5 (type-r versions)....are good to build. But they have crappy tq! lol! I'll go up 400whp....and 260 tq...lol

the k-series are good due to bigger displacement......but never really got into it..........

I tried going frankenstein with the b series engine.....I like them better :)
All these engines need a solid block........have them sleeved or "guard".....to be up in the 300whp.
hondata is an okay system...........but I always used MOTEC :)

ecotecs are nice since tq and whp are almost at the same level :) Plus the block can handle up to 400whp without touching the internals.....
Yes, today's Hondata with the K-Series is lightyears ahead of the Hondata for the B-Series. Kpro runs circles around the MOTEC.

You should download the K-Manager from the Hondata Site.

The Ecotec is really that great when it come to power in stock form. The K20A2 can handle 700 whp in stock form. Also there are kits that can put that 700+ whp for about 4K. Even the lanky K24A3 can handle 500 whp of everyday driving not just the block, but the whole motor. I build the K24 Frankienstiens those make 200 whp stock form and 186 Torque from there you boost or Supercharge.

I would like to see a direct injected head for the K-Series though that would be off the hook!

Torque at those numbers is really is not an issue and usually with a turbo the torque is only about 20-30 less than the WHP.

I know my RSX S with the supercharger was 270 Torque 301 whp, but even with racing suspension and coil-overs, racing mounts, LSD, the works the torque steer was insane.

I have depated taking out the LNF and running my K20A2 I have in my garage instead. Parts easily available and 3/4th the cost of parts and kits for our Sky's.

·
Registered
283 Posts
After reading this thread it looks like we are already experiencing what I call the S2000 fear factor lol. I call it that because I remember a few years back when the s2000 guys were worried that because some of the s2000s have dropped to a price that opens them up to......well we'll just say more owners....they would start experiencing childish arguing like this, and of course more riced out s2000s.

Looks like it has begun for us already:lol:

Cant wait for to see the build Sky888

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
SKy888,

Why dont you apply for that forum wars show? Could be a great way to show off your new compound turbo and get some sponsor exposure...

The guy in the mustang was sponsored as well... unless he really loves his "sticky hoosier tires" that much. haha

Plus why not get in there? we already know a stock sky RL will crush a lot of the competition... yours will destroy...

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
SKy888,

Why dont you apply for that forum wars show? Could be a great way to show off your new compound turbo and get some sponsor exposure...

The guy in the mustang was sponsored as well... unless he really loves his "sticky hoosier tires" that much. haha

Plus why not get in there? we already know a stock sky RL will crush a lot of the competition... yours will destroy...

never really heard of it....til now....lol

thanks for the tip!

I went to their website....

I will not make it for season two tho .....since filming will take place on Fall 2010.

I will definitely apply for season three....if they will still do it.

I know Tony with the Solstice, is in the bullrun series. He got awesome exposure indeed.

Forum wars will be very interesting, and I would love to join!

again, thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Wow. It appears I've got some catching up to do it. Still getting my bearings around various recent threads but this seems a good place to start. It'll take some time to catch up with everything, but we'll start shoveling....

First off, from first a glance of this thread, some folks may want to review the forum rules section. Ya'll agreed to abide by them when you signed up, so expect to be held to them. Forum Rules/Guidelines/Etiquette/Forum Information/Moderation Team Section - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum Civility, hijacking, street racing, no doubt plenty more. It's all in there.

I'm happy to see folks jump in here and try to steer this thread back on course. Skyroadster has long tried to remain largely member moderated and it generally works. Where we have to get involved, well, we can do that....

Folks may want to take some of the general forum discussion off to site feedback for a general roundtable discussion. To get the ball rolling on getting things on track, lets get this thread back on topic.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
BTF just received the 321 and 304 stainless steel from Burns stainless last Wednesday. He will start working on the manifold and compound set-up today.

SMG is still finishing up with Project Scarab...and one cobalt. SMG might start disassembling the engine and transmission next week.

Might take about 2 months....

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
WTF? why that long?

did you also put stronger sleeves?

I had Bates build the block last April and he finished in three weeks.

All of engine parts are in the shop. We might buy some tranny replacement parts once we find out what's needed to be replaced....but that's about it.

all of my compound turbo set-up parts arrived at BTF a month ago.....except the stainless steel parts.

been researching on parts and getting them......during winter time.........so they're all ready when my builders are ready to start working on them...

I can't afford to have my car down longer than two months..I get ancy...lol

41 - 60 of 914 Posts