Saturn Sky Forum banner

861 - 880 of 916 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #861
Today, I professionally detailed Lipstick inside and out! :)

Well this morning was my first time to drive her around the city and highway to get used to with the new power. I'm sory no videos since I don't have a gopro. I wana do it with my phone but it will not be safe.

All I can say is, even with the low boost setting (37psi), it as so worth the wait! Instant spool by 2800 rpm and full boost by 4500rpm! The sound of the engine and the look of the car are such an attention whore!

I can't wait to ty the high boost setting (45psi)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Today, I professionally detailed Lipstick inside and out! :)

Well this morning was my first time to drive her around the city and highway to get used to with the new power. I'm sory no videos since I don't have a gopro. I wana do it with my phone but it will not be safe.

All I can say is, even with the low boost setting (37psi), it as so worth the wait! Instant spool by 2800 rpm and full boost by 4500rpm! The sound of the engine and the look of the car are such an attention whore!

I can't wait to ty the high boost setting (45psi)
Duuuuude! I <3 and hate you at the same time! :D (ok, so it's jealousy and not hate... whatever)

She probably needed a nice bath/refresh after hiding in the garage for so long! :thumbs:

Vid plz:
https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-aduro-car-mount-for-mobile-devices-11

Thx! :D

Seriously though... it's good to see you back and enjoying Lipstick again! :cool::driving:

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
If it goes half as good as it looks, then you sure have a winner, Antonio, and it looks like it was well worth the wait! Congratulations!

Yogi

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #865
Duuuuude! I <3 and hate you at the same time! :D (ok, so it's jealousy and not hate... whatever)

She probably needed a nice bath/refresh after hiding in the garage for so long! :thumbs:

Vid plz:
https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-aduro-car-mount-for-mobile-devices-11

Thx! :D

Seriously though... it's good to see you back and enjoying Lipstick again! :cool::driving:

thanks!

actually, I already gave her a nice sponge bath yesterday. It still looked dirty because of the hood. It's really raw and need to be smoothened out. Plus of course it needs a good paint job! :)

here she was yesterday, after her bath:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #867
here's the road tune that BTF made for me.

As you can see the boost is high, BUT the timing is only 7 degrees, AND no signs of any knock whatsover.

It can easily gets way more whp/tq if we bump that timing to 15-20 degrees. We can do that later on, since the power is way more than I can enjoy especially on the streets.

Just want to get comfortable with the power first....then later upgrade for more power. Safety first :)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #869 (Edited)
Looks great SKy888. Am I missing something though because your boost level looks like it is right at 20 psi? I'm still a neophite with HP Tuners but I'm looking at your MAP Kpa reading of 240...
hello, both you and I are newbies with hptuner, that's why I let the professionals tune my car :)

but how did you get 20psi?

also, the map reading of 240kpa?

I thought 6.89476 kpa = 1psi

if you look at the infos on the screenshot

255 kpa for intake manifold absolute pressure

which is about 37psi

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
hello, both you and I are newbies with hptuner, that's why I let the professionals tune my car :)

but how did you get 20psi?
also, the map reading of 240kpa?

I thought 6.89476 kpa = 1psi

if you look at the infos on the screenshot

255 kpa for intake manifold absolute pressure

which is about 37psi
Looking at that image I'm not sure where I got the 240 kpa off the MAP. What the hell Robo? (Getting old sucks)

Here is where I usually get my number...
http://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?9178-MAP-kPa-to-Boost-PSI-Equivalents

You are partially correct. 255 would equal 37 psi if 0 was atmospheric pressure.

However, atmospheric pressure is not 0 psi. Atmospheric pressure is about 14.7 psi. Therefore, 1 psi of boost is an overall air pressure of 15.7 psi since "boost" is the amount of air pressure you're generating with the turbo above atmospheric...or above 14.7 psi.

To determine how much "boost" you're running, you take 255 kpa, divide it by 6.89476 and then subtract 14.7.

In your case, you are 22.9 psi of boost since you're MAP is reading around 36.9 psi.

Looking at your scan though it says barometric pressure is 14.3 which would translate to a boost level of 23.3 psi.

While that doesn't seem like a lot of boost (especially since a tuned Redline sees about 23-24 psi) I imagine your second turbo is A LOT bigger than the K04 of the stock Redline. A bigger turbo moves a bigger volume of air at a lower PSI to generate more power. Considering your MAF is reading above 11K and I imagine the intake that you have that MAF in is bigger than stock (which also means more air) that the volume of air you're pushing at 23.3 psi is a lot more than a stock Redline is pushing at 24 psi.

I am very impressed though that you're spinning this thing to 7,500 RPM! What valve springs do you have in it? I could have used an extra 500 rpm this past weekend at autocross. Was banging off the rev limiter at the end of the straights in second.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #871
Looking at that image I'm not sure where I got the 240 kpa off the MAP. What the hell Robo? (Getting old sucks)

Here is where I usually get my number...
MAP kPa to Boost PSI Equivalents

You are partially correct. 255 would equal 37 psi if 0 was atmospheric pressure.

However, atmospheric pressure is not 0 psi. Atmospheric pressure is about 14.7 psi. Therefore, 1 psi of boost is an overall air pressure of 15.7 psi since "boost" is the amount of air pressure you're generating with the turbo above atmospheric...or above 14.7 psi.

To determine how much "boost" you're running, you take 255 kpa, divide it by 6.89476 and then subtract 14.7.

In your case, you are 22.9 psi of boost since you're MAP is reading around 36.9 psi.

Looking at your scan though it says barometric pressure is 14.3 which would translate to a boost level of 23.3 psi.

While that doesn't seem like a lot of boost (especially since a tuned Redline sees about 23-24 psi) I imagine your second turbo is A LOT bigger than the K04 of the stock Redline. A bigger turbo moves a bigger volume of air at a lower PSI to generate more power. Considering your MAF is reading above 11K and I imagine the intake that you have that MAF in is bigger than stock (which also means more air) that the volume of air you're pushing at 23.3 psi is a lot more than a stock Redline is pushing at 24 psi.

I am very impressed though that you're spinning this thing to 7,500 RPM! What valve springs do you have in it? I could have used an extra 500 rpm this past weekend at autocross. Was banging off the rev limiter at the end of the straights in second.

yes, you are definitely correct!

I actually was so surprised, how you got the numbers you mentioned on the above posts! I'm like...WTF! lol
I know you're a very smart guy, and that's why I was just like.....maybe his daughter/son was the one typing lol

That's why I just posted a very basic computations on my post to calculate kpa into psi lol :cheers:

But yeah atmospheric pressure has to be considered to actually tell the real boost.:cool:

Anywho, to answer your questions:

my small turbo is a gt2860rs which is a lil bit bigger than a k04. That's why it spools a tad slower. But a very potent turbo and quick spooling for its size.

Using supertech 78# dual valve springs.

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Yea, I don't know what the hell I was looking at. LOL It happens.

I'm kicking around what route I'll go when the time comes to update the turbo. Next on the mod list is a return style fuel system. Waiting on parts to come in for that. Then we'll be going valve springs. Will need to keep those 78# in mind because I wouldn't mind adding another 500 rpm! After that is a clutch and then a new turbo. Still don't know the route I'll go there. Want to keep the water/oil lines kind of where they are at so that may be the determining factor. Only going to 400 whp so I have some options. I think ZZP or RPM offer upgraded K04s that could get me there, then there are the 20Gs and I'm sure the GT2860rs you have would do it too. Don't need crazy boost with this 2.4...just need the volume.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #873
I think ZZP or RPM offer upgraded K04s that could get me there, then there are the 20Gs and I'm sure the GT2860rs you have would do it too. Don't need crazy boost with this 2.4...just need the volume.
Unless you really want to push the "upgraded" k04 using e85 , then probably you have a solid 400whp.

I won't go with 20g, too laggy esp for autox

Gt2860r if you want a turbo that can bring you reliably to 400whp, and will spool just a tad bit slower than k04 but can push more air.
It's very cheap too compared to the fast spooling EFR small turbos

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
How close to the factory oil and water plumbing is the GT2860R? That is the one selling point of the upgraded K04s is the plug and play nature of the install. I'm not interested in E85 as there are not many stations here that carry it. 401 whp would be fine if I can do it reliably with an upgraded K04.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #875 (Edited)
LIPSTICK is back!!!

Well, after several years, LIPSTICK is finally coming back!

Lots of changes since I received my car last year from BTF. After a few months, noticed lots of issues
- oil, fuel, boost leaks
- 4 bar map sensor used by manifold and 3 bar sensor on another....using 4 bar map tune! Wtf! No wonder the car never ran right.

So I went to Six Sigma tuning, owned & operated by Kevin Jewer. He is actually the one who inspired me to build a compound turbo.
He drag races his 7 sec compound dsm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h_M7hGaQ9UM

So he took my car to fix all the issues, and run the compounds properly.

Last week, Here’s the initial dyno run for the 116 octane tune that produced 535hp & 480tq @ 39psi.

Here’s what my compound turbos (gt2860rs & gt4294r) are doing.

It spools 29psi at 3500rpm, but I think we can even bring it down to 3000rpm

Hopefully, with more boost (5-7psi) and extra 900rpm, it will make more. So we’ll see......

Please click on this link: http://i63.tinypic.com/2m2e7ut.jpg

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #876 (Edited)
Recently, tuner Added 5psi, LIPSTICK is now at 560hp & 520tq. Very broad powerband now.
Previously, it was at 39psi, 535hp 480tq.

We are currently experiencing spark blowout even at .22gap. This is our current limitation and not even fuel!
We’ll try using copper plugs instead of iridium and do one more day of tuning. If that doesn’t help, we’ll wrap it up.

Here’s the dyno sheet: http://i65.tinypic.com/24xe5qb.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
I've been seeing your posts on FB! Good job sir. Sometimes biting the bullet and taking it to someone who is an expert on the subject makes all the difference. Keep kicking around what I want to do with mine. This build of yours gives me another option. :D Since my last post here I've done the fuel system, clutch, and upgraded K04...still under 300 whp. :(

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #878
Robo, Thanks!
It was a long & stressful road! Lol

Anyways, u might wana get a fast spooling efr or Gtx turbo that can create more lb/min than k04 to get more hp!

I know you’re into autox, so those turbos I mentioned might be an option for more power w/o sacrificing instant tq

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Robo, Thanks!
It was a long & stressful road! Lol

Anyways, u might wana get a fast spooling efr or Gtx turbo that can create more lb/min than k04 to get more hp!

I know you’re into autox, so those turbos I mentioned might be an option for more power w/o sacrificing instant tq
EFR 6258 would be a good autoX turbo
I'm all about that. :D It's on my list...along with a 2JZ or LS swap...I know, I'm sick...I have a problem. LOL

861 - 880 of 916 Posts