Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please help me build this list. I know Arizona well, but could use help on other states. If you have a link to a SKY event or even a Youtube video of a motorcycle doing it (must be a paved road), that would also be great!

• AZ - ***** Colorado Trail (Hwy 191 AKA Route 666)
  • AZ - **** Yarnell Hill Butt-Pucker Run (Yarnell)
  • AZ - *** Bagdad Loop (Bagdad-Prescott)
  • AZ - *** Route 66 (Oatman)
  • AZ - ** Top of the Pines (Prescott)
  • AZ - ** Oak Creek Canyon (Sedona to Flagstaff)
  • AZ - ** Salt River Canyon (Globe)
  • AZ - ** Gatepass Speedway (Tucson)
  • AZ - ** Kitt Peak Observatory (Tucson)
  • AZ - * Canyon Lakes - Tortilla Flat (Mesa)
  • AZ - * South Mountain Park (Phoenix)
  • CA - Turnbull Canyon (Hacienda Heights/Whittier, CA)
  • CA - Lake Hughes Rd (Lake Hughes)
  • CA - Angeles Crest Highway (Los Angeles National Forest)
  • CA - Highway 18 (San Bernadino National Forest)
  • CA - Highway 38 (San Bernadino National Forest)
  • CA - Rim of the World (San Bernadino National Forest)
  • CA - Highway 330 (San Bernadino National Forest)
  • CA - Highway 33 (Los Padres National Forest)
  • CO - U.S. 24 between Manitou Springs and Woodland Park (Colorado Springs)
  • CO - Cheyenne Canyon (Colorado Springs)
  • HI - Road to Hana (Maui)
  • NC - ***** Tail of the Dragon (Deals Gap)
  • UT - Dual S curves up Big Cottonwood Canyon
  • UT - Provo Canyon (100 MPH)
  • UT - The Aspen Loop up by Sundance
  • UT - East Canyon (Up Emmigration Canyon) Highway 65/66.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, living in Colorado Springs, I have found a couple of nice roads to drive. They are not very long stretches, but have some nice twists to them.
U.S. 24 between Manitou Springs and Woodland Park.
In Colorado Springs, the drive up Cheyenne Canyon. To get there, head all the way west on Cheyenne Blvd. and turn right before you get to the Seven Falls place. There is also some great hiking trails up there.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
OH 555 good ole' T2TR fun

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Tail of the Dragon, US Hwy 129. Deals Gap, NC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please help me build this list. I know Arizona well, but could use help on other states. If you have a link to a SKY event or even a Youtube video of a motorcycle doing it (must be a paved road), that would also be great!
R-Texas 191 is Coronado trail not Colorado trail

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
The "Road to Hana" on Maui is the only one I've ever been on that made me sick.

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
Highway 243, Idyllwild to Banning, that connects to Highway 74 from Mountain Center to Hemet or Palm Springs. This is where the Opel GT was first shown to the media. It is also where most auto manufacturers film West Coast Commercials. Mercedes and BMW us the area for commercial videos. About 100 miles of twisty mountain roads, with cliffs on both sides. Goes from minus sea level to over 6k feet. Part of our annual Palm Springs run.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Great title for a movie! :D
It would mostly feature people barfing. Quick stats:

52 miles
59 bridges, 46 are single-lane
620 curves

And the bonus is that unless you drove it in a 4x4, it's an out and back, so you reverse it to get home.

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
I've done the road to Hana twice, in rentals, of course. There was so much traffic we couldn't possibly have gone fast enough to get sick.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
70 years ago when I was a teenager, the road from Lake Henshaw to the top of Palomar Mountain was a ball in a 1932 Ford hot rod roadster, but by now they have probably turned it into a 6 lane divided highway.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Lime Creek road from Volente Texas to Highway 1431 was where I tested my work back in the days when I built and repaired early Jaguars. There were some curves that you were lucky to get a long XKE 2+2 to go around....LOL

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
No Jim, it is still a pretty fun road. We drive it quite a bit with the San Diego Roadster Club. It was part of Robo's run at one time.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I havent been on that road since 1960 Drove it with the pedal to the metal in a 1960 GMC Pickup with dualies on the back. I was being followed by a 1949 hot rod Mercury that thought he could pass me. After the first three switchbacks I never saw him again. Those dual wheels with 2,000 pounds in the bed just wouldnt break loose. Dont know if he went over the side or just thought better about trying to pass me.

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
70 years ago when I was a teenager, the road from Lake Henshaw to the top of Palomar Mountain was a ball in a 1932 Ford hot rod roadster, but by now they have probably turned it into a 6 lane divided highway.
I remember going over Wolf Creek Pass when it was a 2 lane road; now it's a superhighway.

·
Super Moderator
5,925 Posts
Nope. Still 2-lane.
Capture.PNG

1 - 19 of 19 Posts