Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I need to send out a special thanks to one hell of a great friend for helping me get to where I needed to be. Thank you very much Ernest :cheers: heres to good friends with great rides. Here are the photos of the 3 stages of removal and the installation. The assembly goes in as 1 piece. The only thing you need from the original equipment is the MAF sensor and 2 of the screws to secure it in place. Every thing else you need is supplied in the package. :thumbs:

·
Registered
295 Posts
In your opinion, is it worth it? How much was just the CAI from GM? Its like $300 on its own right?

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
Looking good. Mine's on it's way. It'll ship Friday. I'll be ordering the Cat Back and POSSIBLY the shorty headers after that. Then once all that's in place the PCM to take advantage of all that.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Are any of the OEM fasteners hard to reach, are any of the plastic parts hard to remove after the fasteners are removed and is the MAF sensor easy to unplug without damage to the clips. IMO the saturn performance CAI cleans up the engine compartment.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is from memory last night but I will try to be as detailed as possible.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable 10mm
2. Remove engine shield (plastic piece on top) just pull firmly pops right off from 3 hold down points
3. Remove PVC line from valve cover
4. Loosen hose clamps
5. Unplug MAF sensor
6. Remove 2 torques head screws from filter box assembly (on driver's side)
7. Remove 10mm bolt from front air box assembly (must go between hood and front end while hood is up)
8. Remove first section of the air box assembly (driver's side)
9. Remove second section of the air box assembly (by front grill)
10. Remove MAF sensor from original equipment (2 Phillips head screws)
11. Install MAF sensor into new tube (same 2 Phillips head screws)
12. Assemble you new tube assembly (filter, filter sock, filter shield, 2 tube pieces & 2 rubber sections)
13. Place you complete tube assembly into the engine compartment
14. Use 1 of the Torques head screws and the 10mm bolt to loosely hold the assembly in place (start each of the screws just a few threads)
15. Align the end connecting to the engine loosely tighten clamp to hold in place.
16. Starting at the filter start tightening all hose clamps and retention screws finishing at the engine
17. Install new PVC tube between valve cover and tube assembly (supplied with kit)
18. Install engine cover
19. Reconnect battery ground
20. Reset you clock (your computer information and radio presets are fine)
21. Place you GM performance stickers where ever you would like. ( I put the big one on the Filter shield and the small sticker on the lip of the driver side front fender. It also has a Saturn and Pontiac emblem sticker I haven't decided where to put yet.
21. Take her out for a test drive and see how she feels.

Now remember I said this is from memory so if I did forget something I am sorry but I really don't need any mistakes pointed out a dozen times here. The kit does come with instructions which are at home so I am unable to reference them here at work. I hope the information I provided was informative. I kind of did a step by step in my pictures during the removal. There was absouletly nothing hard about doing this yourself. There is nothing hard to reach or out of the way. Just use the right tool for the job as I did and you should be good to go. I did notice just a little bit of pick up on take off. I noticed more was when I down shifted from 5th to 4th doing 60 I punched it and I was doing 90 at a moments notice. So my opinion is that it is worth it. Since I will probably never be able to afford the turbo I will look for increases in performance in the little increments that I can find it. Always remember to drive safe and keep the shinny side up. :D

·
Registered
482 Posts
Man, I don't know how to thank you, that was the best instructions for removal and installation ever, and I write this kind of stuff for a living. Thank you again, for sure I am going to do the installation myself.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Part Number?

What is the part number of the GM CAI? What's the best place to buy it online?:)

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
I had a number written down here somewhere...

I actually got mine on E-bay for about $340. There is a dealer up in Washington that sells them on there. It is supposed to ship out tomorrow so I'll let you know when it comes in. Guinuine GM part though from the pictures.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What is the CAI air filter element made of - pleated paper, oiled cotton gauze or ?? What about the orange filter wrap that appears to come with the GM kit - what is it made of? Please advise. Thanks!

Mark in INdiana

·
Registered
276 Posts
The installation would look a little neater if the hose clamps were turned so that the screw part of the clamps were facing down and not as visible. My radio presets had to be reset after hooking the battery back up...maybe because I had the battery disconnected for a longer time because I also installed a plug for easy connection to a Battery Tender charger.

By the way, the computer draws juice from the battery when the car is off. If you don't use the car for a week or more, I'd get a Battery Tender to keep it fully charged. They cut off automatically and will not overcharge the battery. Since it's a chore to replace a Sky battery, you might as well take good care of it.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mark in INdiana said:
What is the CAI air filter element made of - pleated paper, oiled cotton gauze or ?? What about the orange filter wrap that appears to come with the GM kit - what is it made of? Please advise. Thanks!

Mark in INdiana
Oiled Cotton Gauze. Orange filter wrap is some sort of micomesh material to keep out the big stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Way2Fast said:
The installation would look a little neater if the hose clamps were turned so that the screw part of the clamps were facing down and not as visible.QUOTE]

Thanks that is a good idea, I will flip them over this weekend. :thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
marklynn70 said:
Way2Fast said:
The installation would look a little neater if the hose clamps were turned so that the screw part of the clamps were facing down and not as visible.
Thanks that is a good idea, I will flip them over this weekend. :thumbs:
Being a gearhead and doing stuff like this for "fun":

(My Grand Prix's two damaged pistons...)

I would suggest keeping those clamps where they are to make them easier to get to with a screwdriver "just in case". Just makes life a LOT simpler.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am just going to move them over the top of the hose assembly so that they are between the engine and hose assembly. They will still be accessible but not as visible.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Did poorly filtered air or a leak in the air induction system cause the piston damage? If not what do you suspect caused the damage? :confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice info here

Just got the GM CAI delivered. Trying the install myself. I will use steps above. Thanks all.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I had mine installed by the good folks at my dealership before I picked it up. I haven't regretted this option one second!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts