Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I am really impressed with this car. Being a sports car enthusiast, and also owning a BMWZ4 and a Miata, comparing those two, this car handles like a dream and in my opinion in that respect, handles better than either. I drove it fast over about 30 miles of twistys and it held like glue. I was worried about the power. It is plenty adequate and smooth. There was not rattle one! The car is tight & fit and finish both inside and out is well done and not cheap looking. The car is more roomy than I thought. My son who is 6'-2" and about 250 drove it and had plenty of room. The car is comfortable and rides really well for a sports car.

I do have four minor dislikes: 1) Opening and closing the trunk and messing with the buttress wings is a pain although it works well. I will get used to going to the other side of the car and plugging it in. 2) The gas gage is burried deep behind the line of site of the steering wheel and very hard to read. 3) There is no door unlock button. The 5 speed locks automatically at 5 MPH and will not release until you turn the car off. To pick up a passenger one must remove your seat & reach accross to the passenger door button. TIP! I finally figured out that I could open the the passenger door with the engine running by clicking the key remote opener twice. 4) On a lesser note, glove box is really small and the manual will barely fit.

With all that being said, I LOVE the car. You will not see mine on ebay at any price.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks for the review. I just sold my 99 Miata that I dearly loved and have been concerned that the Sky as sharp as it is might not measure up. I sure feel better and am looking forwrd to delivery more than ever. Mine was released to the carrier 3/21.:cheers:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
07 Chili Pepper said:
Thanks for the review. I just sold my 99 Miata that I dearly loved and have been concerned that the Sky as sharp as it is might not measure up. I sure feel better and am looking forwrd to delivery more than ever. Mine was released to the carrier 3/21.:cheers:
While I like my Miata and it is a fun car to drive, I always felt it was too small and light in the curves. They can get away from you. More that one of my Miata club friends lost it while doing drives on the twisty back roads, but that never happened with the BMW Z's club. The Sky is alot like the BMW only in my opinion, even better!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
THANKS for the info.... cant wait til mine gets here..... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for the info! I am so interested in what people who have gotten theirs already, have to say! I was wondering how you do close the trunk when you retract the top since some on the Solstice website have mentioned denting their decklids (where the humps are) I guess by putting too much pressure on them when they shut it. Keep the input coming for those of us still waiting! :)

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Thanks for the great review. What colour did you get? Do you have any pictures of her? The Sky that is. :lol:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for the input. I am picking mine up tomorrow afternoon. (Silver, back leather, chrome wheels, 6cd, xm, slip). Hours are not going by fast enough.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
skyfan said:
While I like my Miata and it is a fun car to drive, I always felt it was too small and light in the curves. They can get away from you. More that one of my Miata club friends lost it while doing drives on the twisty back roads, but that never happened with the BMW Z's club. The Sky is alot like the BMW only in my opinion, even better!
I guess losing it on curves is one of the reasons the one reviewer said "The Miata is a billion times more fun to drive!" :D

Must of been an andrenaline junkey with a death wish! :willy:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ernest said:
What do you mean "locks at 5mph?" Explain
As soon as the car gets up to 5 MPH the pull door buttons automatically go down locking both doors. They wont come up (unless you pull them up) or until you turn the car off. I discovered that you can open them anytime by reaching down and pressing the remote button on the keyring. There are no buttons on the door panel or console to unlock or lock like most cars.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rick112 said:
Thanks for the great review. What colour did you get? Do you have any pictures of her? The Sky that is. :lol:
I got chili pepper red, tan top, tan leather, 5 speed, LSD, 6 changer CD radio & chrome wheels.

I would post pictures but I don't know how on this website. The combination is awesome a & get tons of attention on the road. What impressed me is how the chrome shows up against the red.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
boots said:
Thanks for the info! I am so interested in what people who have gotten theirs already, have to say! I was wondering how you do close the trunk when you retract the top since some on the Solstice website have mentioned denting their decklids (where the humps are) I guess by putting too much pressure on them when they shut it. Keep the input coming for those of us still waiting! :)
I have no idea as to what they are talking about (top denting the deck) . The top folds nicely and the trunk closes with just a medium firm steady push. I might add that the car is very air tight. The door ajar message tends to come on unless you really slam it hard or as I have been doing, lower the window a little to let the air out when closing the door.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
skyfan said:
I have no idea as to what they are talking about (top denting the deck) . The top folds nicely and the trunk closes with just a medium firm steady push. I might add that the car is very air tight. The door ajar message tends to come on unless you really slam it hard or as I have been doing, lower the window a little to let the air out when closing the door.
Wow do I still need to put the Window, when the Top is Down? That would be really air-tight! :confused: :willy: :lol:

·
Registered
182 Posts
wow! great first hand info ! this is why we consumers are still more knowledgeable with this whole Sky program than the dealerships.

Continue any updates and new info you find out while the rest of us wait.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Did you pay MSRP? I got mine for that , and I agree with everything you say, and one other, It is one of the best riding sportscars I have ever been in... I took a 280 mile trip in mine yesterday and it is very comfortable, and I am 5'7" and weigh almost 300, and I have no problems fitting in it at all..

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Skyman, how much room is in the truck with the top down. A girls got quite a bit of luggage to take on a trip... :lol:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
agirltrucker said:
Skyman, how much room is in the truck with the top down. A girls got quite a bit of luggage to take on a trip... :lol:
All I can say is pack real light with clothes that won't wrinkle in plastic plastic bags or the like that you could stuff in and around the top. When the top is down you have about 2 cubic feet spread around it. Not much room.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SkyMan 07 said:
Did you pay MSRP? I got mine for that , and I agree with everything you say, and one other, It is one of the best riding sportscars I have ever been in... I took a 280 mile trip in mine yesterday and it is very comfortable, and I am 5'7" and weigh almost 300, and I have no problems fitting in it at all..
Yes, I only paid MRSP with no up charges. They even gave me a 20% dicount on mudflaps and rubber mats. My dealer is great.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
skyfan said:
He's refering to how you actually close the trunk lid. Where are you holding it to slam it shut. He's also refering to NOT using the aero ferrings as your point for pushing down. Never use them as your point to push down because you can dent them.

The GM official stance from the owners manual is to push down in the region between the ferrings towards the farthest part from the hinges.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
richmcc said:
Wow do I still need to put the Window, when the Top is Down? That would be really air-tight! :confused: :willy: :lol:
No, you don't have to. You just have to remember to give it a little extra shove if the roof is up and the other door is closed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts