Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing about Lojack and all the benefits. Can someone explain how it works and each level of service? Does it interface with the car electronics? I understand the part about it the car is stolen that they activate the tracking, but what about the alarm. Do you get a new key fob or do you use the factory one? What does it cost at each level of install? Is there a monthly or annual fee or service contract. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Lojack is a poor man's version of OnStar. I have OnStar in the car I have now and it is AWESOME!!!!. I call them up when I have friends in the car and let them play with it. Friends are always impressed by how much they know, what they can scheule for you, restarant reservations. etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
belletire said:
You have OnStar, don't waste your money on Lojack. (IMO)
Someone had said on this forum that disabling the vehicle tracking and recovery feature of the OnStar is very easy (just by cutting the wire on the rear view).

Whether or not this is true and whether or not a criminal would be savy enough to know to do it is uncertain. But it seems like Lojack is a bit more reliable in those circumstances.

Though, all the same, I wonder if a 25k car be at the top of the list of "cars to steal".. it does look like its worth 3 times as much though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
A professional thief IMO, would take a pry bar and just pop that little antenna off. Onstar would follow the "beep" and send the cops to a dumpster or to a ditch along the side of the road. The problem with LoJack is alot of police departments don't have the man-power to be involved with the headache of stolen cars. A professional would have a order for your car and most likely it will be put in a container, and put on a ship bound for a foreign country. There are GPS products available and you can track you car via your laptop. The money might be better put to use in one of these products.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Cutting the wire to the buttons or removing the antenna will not stop the unit from being able to be tracked. You would just not be able to call OnStar from the vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
belletire said:
Cutting the wire to the buttons or removing the antenna will not stop the unit from being able to be tracked. You would just not be able to call OnStar from the vehicle.
GPS is part of Onstar. If they are using that to track the vehicle, it will be usless if the antenna is disconnected. I have a Garmin GPS, without the antenna, the GPS is usless.

Maybe they also use triangulation using the cellphone part of Onstar to locate the car, who knows? But it that antenna is disabled, won't that be usless too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
The Sky won't be a target for someone to take as there aren't enough of them out there to make it worth it. You need 10's of 1000's of a model on the roads to make it attractive enough to steal. The most trouble you will have is finger prints and possible joy riding...and joy riders won't get far unless they have the actual key due to the fact the Sky will shut itself down even if you hot wire it. Joy riders won't know about the OnStar either.

Don't waste the money on any other security system, it will just redistribute your money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
belletire said:
Cutting the wire to the buttons or removing the antenna will not stop the unit from being able to be tracked. You would just not be able to call OnStar from the vehicle.
Im sorry to disagree with you my friend, but I have personally talked to OnStar and they have confirmed that by just ripping off the back antenna will disable them. I have Lojack early warning and love it. My local PD (and surrounding areas) do use it. Read quite a few affadavits from owners who's cars have been recovered by LoJack. Not to mention, Phoenix Arizona is #1 in stolen cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
ineedmorebotox said:
Lojack is a poor man's version of OnStar. I have OnStar in the car I have now and it is AWESOME!!!!. I call them up when I have friends in the car and let them play with it. Friends are always impressed by how much they know, what they can scheule for you, restarant reservations. etc.
Dear, hate to dissapoint you, but its just the opposite. I personally confirmed with Onstar that anyone can rip off the back antenna and there goes your signal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
agirltrucker said:
Dear, hate to dissapoint you, but its just the opposite. I personally confirmed with Onstar that anyone can rip off the back antenna and there goes your signal.
I guarantee I confirmed it with a better source. Not starting an argument, but I don't just talk out of my a**. (usually :) ) The unit can still be tracked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
KustomKaps-- There are not 1000's of Porsche 928s either, but mine was ouside my condo in Miami and 1 week later, it was in Cali Columbia. If you want it, there are thousands more that want it too! This car is a hot item, and for you to think that, out of 10,000 produced there is not going to be a theft of some is IMO is a little off.:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
belletire said:
I guarantee I confirmed it with a better source. Not starting an argument, but I don't just talk out of my a**. (usually :) ) The unit can still be tracked.
Im sure your souce is good, but ask them about what happens when onstar is disconnected from the battery. And no prob, no argument here dear...:D What I mean is disconnected from there powersource.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
From OnStar FAQs:

Q. If my antenna is stolen, can OnStar still find me?
A. OnStar uses a full 3.0-watt cellular system as opposed to the typical 0.6-watt portable cell phone. Assuming there is still power for the system, if the antenna is removed from outside the vehicle, it is still possible to make the cellular connection, although the range is diminished.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
ggccg said:
From OnStar FAQs:

Q. If my antenna is stolen, can OnStar still find me?
A. OnStar uses a full 3.0-watt cellular system as opposed to the typical 0.6-watt portable cell phone. Assuming there is still power for the system, if the antenna is removed from outside the vehicle, it is still possible to make the cellular connection, although the range is diminished.
Exactly what I said earlier, if there is power to the system. Discount the power source and no Onstar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
No system is infallible. If someone wants the car bad enough, they can find a way to get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
agirltrucker said:
Exactly what I said earlier, if there is power to the system. Discount the power source and no Onstar.
welll... what you initially said was "I have personally talked to OnStar and they have confirmed that by just ripping off the back antenna will disable them."

I'm sure there must be some way to power down a LoJack as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Insure it!

Insure you car and don't worry about it. If theives want it bad enough, they will find a way to get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
I really don't see theives lining up to steal SKYs. Too few, too new. If you were a Camry -- yes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
skyfan said:
Insure you car and don't worry about it. If theives want it bad enough, they will find a way to get it.
Seems pretty safe to me...although I've had a vehicle stolen, and it's a bit creepy to see an empty parking spot when you're pretty sure you got there in your car...insurance is the best insurance. :thumbs:
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top