Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer is recomending Lojack for this car due to the anticipated "high theft" demand. He told me it would cost almost $600 to install. I went on there web site to find out what the monthly fee is and couldnt find any. If anyone has it, would you please give me more info. Also, is anyone else thinking about getting one? Thanks all :D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Girl..... with onstar, why would you need that? The first year is free and then it is only 200$ a yr after that... SkyBaby-07 just curious... as, i know little about this stuff

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
uhhh.... the car comes standard with OnStar. If the car is stolen, they can tell you exactly where it's at... at least until the thieves rip it out of the car. Also, rare cars are not the most stolen... the most popular ones are. For the most part, people steal cars to strip them and sell the parts to repair shops. Your dealer is just trying to put some gravy on his plate.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very very good points, which I did bring up to the dealer. He told me that even though that is true, on star is very easy to disable and not really ment for stolen car recovery. That is the only reason they are recomending it. Funny how great minds think alike.... :cheers: PS the #1 city in the USA for stolen cars is here in good old Phoenix, Az. Shock shock I know

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Interesting thread, I'll tell you why. Typically cars that stand out (like the SKY) are not usually high on the theft list for a number of reasons:

1. The number one reason why cars are stolen are to take them apart and sell them in pieces. They're not stealing the parts to sell..... who are they going to sell them to? People who are waiting for their car? So that idea is out.

2. Common cars, like the Camry are stolen, because there are SO MANY of them

3. What about a steering wheel jack vs. lojack, it's a lot cheaper, and they are proven extremely effective. That will save you about $550.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very good idea to think about, thanks

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
If my befuddled memory serves me correct the anti theft system in the Sky won't let the car fire up without the chip key, the key with the chip in it, tell me if I am wrong. A befuddled Skip.....:cool:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Skip said:
If my befuddled memory serves me correct the anti theft system in the Sky won't let the car fire up without the chip key, the key with the chip in it, tell me if I am wrong. A befuddled Skip.....:cool:
I thought if some one tried to start the car without the key , the engine would not start or shut down.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Woweee thats great, hopefully someone who has one already can confirm that. Thanks baby

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
ggccg said:
uhhh.... the car comes standard with OnStar. If the car is stolen, they can tell you exactly where it's at... at least until the thieves rip it out of the car. Also, rare cars are not the most stolen... the most popular ones are. For the most part, people steal cars to strip them and sell the parts to repair shops. Your dealer is just trying to put some gravy on his plate.
:agree: Just search Google for the most stolen cars list.. not a limited production vehicle in the bunch, if anyone will try to steal it will be a Joyrider.., to disable onstar all you have to do is rip off the onstar antenna...
I don't really know how Lojac works...

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Skip said:
Your memory is not at all befuddled. From the Saturn Sky website:

"The Sky comes standard with an alarm system and engine immobilizing theft deterrent feature. Activated by the key fob, the system sounds an alarm if anyone tries to force entry. And, before you can start the SKY, the key's unique signature must match the vehicle's ingition. Otherwise, the car won't start, deterring an attempting [sic] thief."

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
So basically, I'm finding my findings correct. I wouldn't get the Lojack, unless you REALLY think you need it. I'm thinking NO. And they are right... this car will only be stolen, IF it's stolen, for joyriding.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I think I also read somewhere that if you try to start the car with the wrong key, that it won't start at all for something like 15 or 30 minutes.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
ha ha, so that sucks for the drunk people and sucks even worse for the one who walks away and the car starts on its own after 30 minutes????????

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Angelqute1 said:
So basically, I'm finding my findings correct. I wouldn't get the Lojack, unless you REALLY think you need it. I'm thinking NO. And they are right... this car will only be stolen, IF it's stolen, for joyriding.
Yea, Im with ya. I dont really need it. But IF some takes my baby and I do end up having to replace it Ill have to ride my motorcycle again untill I get another one. And as long as the first one is taking I may be waiting a long time :brentil:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats a big 10-4/ but I called my insurance co and they cant rate the sky yet, too new. So I asked my agent "what are you going to do when my car does get here?" and she advised me that she would have to call corp to get it rated. Anyone get any insurance on one yet?

·
Registered
192 Posts
agirltrucker said:
Yea, Im with ya. I dont really need it. But IF some takes my baby and I do end up having to replace it Ill have to ride my motorcycle again untill I get another one. And as long as the first one is taking I may be waiting a long time :brentil:
With on-star aren't the cops supposed to go right to the car? The worst thing would be if the crook destroyed the car before the police caught up with him (or her).:brentil:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
Interesting thread, I'll tell you why. Typically cars that stand out (like the SKY) are not usually high on the theft list for a number of reasons:

1. The number one reason why cars are stolen are to take them apart and sell them in pieces. They're not stealing the parts to sell..... who are they going to sell them to? People who are waiting for their car? So that idea is out.

2. Common cars, like the Camry are stolen, because there are SO MANY of them

3. What about a steering wheel jack vs. lojack, it's a lot cheaper, and they are proven extremely effective. That will save you about $550.

What do you think?

In an earlier discussion (3-4 months ago) this subject came up. Sol and Sky just don't have the numbers to make stealing them worthwhile. Cars are stolen for a few reasons:
1. To joyride - but the minimum security will often stop this - the security in the Saturn should be enough.
2. As pointed out aleady -- Parts. 10000 SKY just is NOT a market (.06% of cars sold)
3. Shipping out of country for the upscale market -- 25K is not upscale.

On Star should give you what you need

I'd be more worried by vandalisim. . . As we have been talking

I knew a person who owned a Rolls Royce convertible. He never locked it and left the roof down.... When asked, he always say -- "Who is gonna steal it? there are 5000 of them in the whole US.. I worry about someone cutting the roof."

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have to admit that thought has crossed my mind. And with a $500. ded that would hurt to replace

1 - 20 of 67 Posts