Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has just bought a Bluestone Sky RL, now located in the southeast US. She's getting quotes for covered transport to PA.

The prices are varied, mostly between $1-1.5k.

My question is - does anyone here have any experience with a specific carrier and able to make a recommendation?

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I bought mine through Carmax. (dealer) They shipped it with their trucks from NC to OH... no issues.

As long as shes the one "accepting" the delivery, she can note and imperfections or damage in transport that occur. Company should pay for it if they cause the damage as long as she does not sign the bill saying that the car is acceptable for delivery.

If you were ok with a few miles, you may want to post and offer some of our retired members/ members with a flexible schedule the opportunity to make some money. Ask them to pickup / drop off the car and pay to fly them back to their home. I know if I had the time, I would do it for someone in a heartbeat.

Plus your fellow forum members will me much more loving to the sky than a truck driver!

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
I am getting ready to ship my baby to DDM from Colorado and did a LOT of research on car shippers.

I found out more than I ever wanted to know.

$600 one way gets you a private contractor, with minimum required insurance, and anything from a tow bar up to a 5-6 car open carrier. The guy shows up at your house loads the car and some time in the future it probably shows up where you want it. But it also may only go 2 states away, get unloaded into a staging warehouse and sit there till another private contractor shows up, loads it again and then carries it to the final destination ... or hands it off again.

$1200 one way gets you "enclosed" transport. The vast majority of the "shippers" I talked with do not actually hire or own any drivers or trucks. A small minority owned some of the trailers but that was it. They are basically selling contracted services from private contractors who range from the one guy with a tow bar up to a small business with 5 trucks / trailers. They carry better insurance but again, you probably get a truck that may or may not show up on the promised date, loads the car, probably drives it to a staging warehouse where it gets unloaded again, sits till the next regional truck shows up, when it gets loaded AGAIN and it may or may not then make one or more trips to the final location.

$1300 - $1400 gets you a company owned trailer and probably one load and unload though its not certain. The seller generally will have all the attributes and options of the above, with the exception that they do own (or lease) a significant number of enclosed transport trailers that their contract drivers use with their individually owned truck/tractor. Generally you get better care, but not the best, and you get better insurance. Best is you generally get one load and one unload operation, unless its to offload another car that is in the trailer in front of your car at delivery.

$1650 gets you the best service. The high end, custom car shippers and manufacturers like Lamborgini etc ship this way. It gets you a company owned truck, company employee drivers, company owned trailer and equipment. One load and one unload. Outstanding insurance and the best care and service.

I chose to use Autobahn after a lot of talking and research. You gets what you pays for.

Autobahn USA, Inc. - Professional, Reliable Enclosed and Open Auto Transportation Services - Home

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[snip]I chose to use Autobahn after a lot of talking and research. You gets what you pays for.
Great advice. She's quick. She's called them and is working out the details now. It was ~$1,200 for open and $2,000 for closed. She's going closed -- pickup this Wednesday, delivery in one week.

Case closed. Thanks! :thumbs:

Looks like we'll have a new Forum member. I hope there's an opening in MASSC or NON MASSC for her in Willamsport, PA.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I take it that my suggestion to check with Intercity Lines of Warren, MA did'nt work out for her. Well, I tried. I had great luck and service when they moved GASNGO from Knoxville, GA to my home in eastern CT.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I flew to NY and drove my BMW home when I bought it (9 hours). It was a great bonding experience :) The Sky was only 3.5 hours away so I drove there got it and drove him with someone in tow.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bought my brand new 2008 Redline in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Took a flight from Montreal with Westjet for 69$ and had a pleasant ride back home for 1100km. Made it in 2 days with one stop in New Brunswick to sleep at one of my friend's place.

Seller was ready to deliver it to a dealer near my place for 500$ but was less costly to take plane and drive it back home.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I flew from Phoenix to Long Island to drive my '08 Redline home. Nice weather and nice drive. Got to stop at Graceland for a day to break it up and make it a 4 day drive.
2600 miles, $260 in gas and $250 for hotels. Would do it again.

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks to sage advice from Rob the Elder, my friend's new ('08) Bluestone RL was picked up yesterday in AZ and is now heading to PA. It was safely tucked above a Ferrari so it's in fairly good company.

She will be joining the Forum shortly as "Clean Living" ( I suggested "Down 'n Dirty," but she nixed that :lol:).

I hope she'll be joining MASSC events shortly, so please be kind to my "sister."

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Punisher gets picked up next week. I am sad already! But its for a good cause. Or I keep telling myself that.:dunno:
Sad? I would be excited with anticipation! :eek:

·
Registered
927 Posts
To put it in perspective, in 2012 I paid $2100 to have my Sky Redline shipped from a residential address in Austin, TX to a local shipping office about 2 miles from my home here in Germany. The whole process took three weeks. That included in-land transportation, overseas shipping, and customs costs.

Seems insane to pay that much to have it shipped from Florida to Pennsylvania, but, it is what it is, I suppose.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Late 2014 I paid:
  • 550$ , shipping Illinois - New Jersey
  • 1250$ , shipping New Jersey - Europe
  • 857$ , insurance / handling / on-offloading / customs
Cost were combination of Euro and Dollar. At the time the exchange rate was 1.35 Dollar for 1 Euro. In the list above I converted all to Dollar. All in all biggest cost , not listed above, was the quadruple tax. ales Tax US + Import Tax + Sales Tax Europe + Special Car Tax.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts